LOD groups Maya

guY Ralior

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Agreed and Gaia made a good comment on the fact that if a owner (non-creator) needed to make a size adjustment on the mesh that the creator did not intend with his pre set up LOD group then adjustment at upload would be a good thing as well as having it available for read from the .dae file.

I guess you would call it a function of Maya. If you navigate on your edit tab to Level of Detail you will find group and ungroup. If you create a LOD group you can adjust the distance at which the camera will switch between the different LODs, the default setting is probably a little farther than what you would want it normally.

Needless to say, I disagree. Inclusion in the same file is merely a convenience, while the ability to control LOD switch distance has a large effect on the streaming cost part of the PE of the model. Controlling PE cost is the most evident concern of most participants in this forum. Furthermore, if you read the OP, you will see there is nothing there about single vs multiple files, and that it explicitly says the concern is to be able to control the LOD switch distances. The referenced jira discusses exacly that point and offers a part-way means of doing that with minimal coding effort.

There is another very old jira requesting inclusion of LOD meshes in a single file, but I'll let you find that for yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.