Planar face alignment with PBR GLTF materials

I've resumed being a builder since my return to SL three years ago.  Learning mesh was kind of a big deal, but the biggest improvement I'd seen since joining in 2006.  I'm using the new PBR GLTF materials and it's my opinion that it is the next big thing.  The difference between the old diff, norm, and spec maps and the new PBR materials is striking.  All builders will want to make the transition.  We're all new to this in SL, and we're all learning.  The first big obstacle I've encountered is planar face alignment.

With planar map it was a very simple task (although many over think this and make it difficult).  You simply select the face of each planar surface one by one, and the last one you select is the "root face" (my words).  Hit the "align planar" check box and everything aligns to this root face.  Around a corner, you usually can select only one face on each side and then proceed.

This is not the case with planar textures with material faces.  They do not align at all.  The "align planar" check box does nothing.

I contacted tech support and they didn't have a clue.  They told me to ask here.  Besides doing it manually, which is a long tedious project for a house, does anyone have any insiget?

https://prnt.sc/ZrUzClWSYktV

On 2/14/2024 at 12:42 PM, Cooter Coorara said:

Besides doing it manually, which is a long tedious project for a house, does anyone have any insiget?

I've bumped into this and eventually gave up and did it manually for the few surfaces I was working on at the time—and by "manually" I mean just eyeballing the mess and tweaking the numbers in the Build Tool until it looked as close as I could get it, which is insanely labor-intensive. One thing that might make it slightly easier (maybe) is aligning a pre-PBR diffusemap on the surfaces and then transforming from that coordinate system to the specified glTF coordinate system (which has the Y axis inverted from the old way) for use when applying the PBR materials.

I don't have that math worked out myself, but it came up in the Scripting forum a month or so ago in case there are hints there.

All of which is fresh in my memory only because it came up just yesterday in another thread.

Two observations:

• It's possible to use different scales, rotations, and offsets for the different maps in a PBR Material. That seems a pretty special case use (although I'm about to do it out of desperation myself). Maybe it doesn't matter for aligning such a Material but I'm not sure about that.
  • Isn't it a pain that the build tool uses the highlighted border with bullseye in the center to outline the UV of the object, not of the Material for which you're adjusting scale, rotation, and offsets, the way it does Blinn-Phong texture maps? I can't imagine any application where the static outline it's now showing would be of any use, but maybe I'm overlooking a reason for it.
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Isn't it a pain that the build tool uses the highlighted border with bullseye in the center to outline the UV of the object, not of the Material for which you're adjusting scale, rotation, and offsets, the way it does Blinn-Phong texture maps? I can't imagine any application where the static outline it's now showing would be of any use, but maybe I'm overlooking a reason for it.

Might this be a reportable UI bug?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Probably. But I'm kind of hoping somebody will explain how I'm missing the point of this fabulous new feature that I'd understand if I had a proper understanding of PBR magicks.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Everyone needs to contact SL support as I did.  It is a bug, since the "align planar" check box does not work. At all.  Like an idiot, I hit it every time anyhow, expecting different results.  Oddly, though, if one leaves the scale at 1:1 they are in alignment (at least in the project I'm working on now).  That scale is usually too small, so I lower it often as far as .1 : .1. but then it goes wonky.  
It may be that the new PBR materials just aren't ready for prime time.  Consider the reflection probe which I suspect is an after the fact work around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooter Coorara said:

Consider the reflection probe which I suspect is an after the fact work around.

This is incorrect- reflection probes are pretty much standard practice in other engines.

See:

Unreal Engine 5.0 - https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/reflections-captures-in-unreal-engine/

Godot 4 - https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/3d/global_illumination/reflection_probes.html

Anyway, it is indeed a bug that Planar alignment doesn't work for PBR materials.