Rental Issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it common practice for land owners to rent plots of land and the covenant says NO COVENANT RULES as long as it abides by LL rules, and then suddenly ban you from the land & removes all objects because 5 horses were placed when the older neighbor had over 20 horses before I came , and KEEPS the rest of your rent??? Is there a Linden Lab rule that says NO horses can be placed on rental land??? Or is this some typical rental scam that landlords use to gain extra money by taking a month's rent, kicking you out more than a week before the month is even up, without an im or notecard, or verbal warning? Then they can turn around and rent it to some other unsuspecting client? If so, how do I protect myself as a consumer/renter?

But Randall.... 5 horses in a Linden home will be awkward!

to the OP, I think you already know all the answers and only seek to be validated. I'm not going to disagree with you. There are no written rules

Get a premium and buy yourself a Mainland. I'll tell you something that I've never told my previous SL dates... I get more excitement bidding on a parcel and winning it than dancing with them in a pretty ballroom gown. Ugly buildings and laggy areas? So is Bangkok in RL but it didn't stopped the foreigners from flocking in. Mainland is ghetto and bohemian at its best and worst. 

Go to Blainroe in Corsica.. there are plenty of empty spaces for you to buy and make it your breeding ground. Just don't breed your horses near the water area.. dead horses near water is not a nice sight to look at... plus their eyes are spooky!

So in other words, the consumer (who is supposed to be considered 'always right' ) is simply SOL. Landowners can simply use and abuse their tenants for no reason whatsoever, and the consumer is to just STFU? Linden Labs will simply turn a blind eye and pretend there is nothing wrong with landowners ripping off honest folks? And if this be true, you are telling me to spend even more money and give it to Linden Labs and to TRUST them to do the right things?

If the forum is constantly filled with the same complaints in regards to being ripped off by renting from landowners, why hasn't this problem been stopped, sorted, fixed?

This isn't about horses. It is about a piece of land that had NO COVENaNT rules stated IN its covenant. It is about suddenly changing an unspoken rule, stealing a clients hard earned money, and leaving said client high and dry. It is about a landowner who breaks their own contract for their own gain. They are 'legally' robbing folks.

That there was another renter who already had 20 horses implies the OP was treated unfairly.

BUT anyone with brredable animals should always check to explicitly confirm ahead of time that they will be ok and how many.

That a covenant doesn't have them called out does not mean the people you move in next to won't scream bloody murder at the sight of them and demand you be booted. For a lot of people, self included, it sort of speaks for itself in the same way that a rule saying 'no using your neighbor's front lawn as a toilet' is not needed. Others may not have awareness of them enough to have thought to ban them until they see somebody show up with one.

- So find a place that explicitly -ALLOWS- them, and double check it by actually asking the landlord ahead of time, and maybe even checking with a few potential neighbors to see how friendly they remain after you tell them what you intend to rez next door...

But again, since there was someone there already with them, it looks unfair - but again you might not be the biggest offender, just the one that got caught. Do you know your landlord knew about the other person's horses beforehand (as opposed to now - when the landlord might be angry and not acting rational).

He had to have known. She was there before I ever was. I was there 3 weeks, and the friend only rezzed the horses a day or two before both lots were emptied. He also had tons of other places he rents. It is what he does. So he was also aware of breedables about the grid. And what about returning rent money that was not used?

I don't raise horses, just let a friend let them feed while she found a place for them.I never complained about all the neighbors heavily scripted sex beds affecting the region. Is there that great a difference between scripted sex beds and scripted horses? Or scripted hair? Or dance balls and chims?

I can find another place, no worries. It is the unfairness of it all. I could always 'squat' somewhere and not let another person rip me off again.

Some land rentals use a notecard in the rental box for rules instead of the land covenant, one reason for this is because if you own several regions and have them all listed under the same estate name, you cannot have a separate covenant for each sim, when you change it on one it changes them all & thats not always practical.

Having said that, even if there was a rule written somewhere that you missed, it is wrong for any landlord to just evict you for rezzing 3 horses instead of first just telling you to remove them. Obviously if you refused, that would be grounds to evict you, but it sounds like this particular landowner is just plain rude as well as unscrupulous.

As I am sure you already know, there is little to nothing that you can do about the situation. Stick to the well established rental owners, especially those with multiple sims and a reputation to protect, speak to current tenants for recommendations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.