Trouble connecting to SL... Help!!!

SanFroggy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a huge problem connecting to Second Life, I think I have isolated the cause to my computer (iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 27") or software on it... The problem is as follows: when I log in to SL using SL Viewer 2.7.2, the net connection immediately goes dead, disabling all other net-dependent applications. When I dump the viewer program and its associated files (cache folder, app. support SL folder), reset the modem to re-establish net connection, re-install Viewer from downloaded disk image and log in in this "virgin" state, the program works fine with a decent frame rate. Until I start readjusting preferences. When I get to Sound preferences like "disable streaming media" - boom! - the connection goes dead. Delete, uninstall, reconnect, reinstall... I had to do the same thing three or four times yesterday and am ready to throw in the towel. The thing is, I don't know if it's the fault of the buggy viewer or computer misconfiguration, or what?? Should I try logging in with an alternate viewer such as Phoenix? What the hell is going on? Guys, I need help here...

Maybe, but I'm not getting any error messages, just the modem green signals for Internet, ISP and Server turning red in the Network Diagnostics panel. And this doesn't happen with a freshly re-installed viewer software. Something in the Viewer prefs causes the net configuration to go haywire, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is...

Just in case, here is the Console error readout, I think relating to Viewer performance, if it will give anybody any clue...

6/27/11 10:30:46 PMSLPlugin[1320]Cannot find executable for CFBundle 0x1a41f060 </Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Disabled Plug-Ins> (not loaded)

6/27/11 10:30:46 PM[0x0-0xe40e4].com.secondlife.indra.viewer[1316]2011-06-27 22:30:46.704 SLPlugin[1320:903] Cannot find executable for CFBundle 0x1a41f060 </Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Disabled Plug-Ins> (not loaded)

6/27/11 10:30:58 PM[0x0-0xe40e4].com.secondlife.indra.viewer[1316]LLEmbeddedBrowser:: addCAFile attempting to read certs from file:  "/Applications/⢠DOWNLOADED/Second Life Viewer 2.app/Contents/Resources/app_settings/CA.pem" 

-  Why don't you use Phoenix? That solves most problems.

I'm going to try it (or Kirstens) next, just wanted to check if it is my computer's problem (in which case it won't make a difference which viewer I use...)

Could it be because Viewer 2 app sits in a subfolder within the Applications folder, and not in the App. folder itself? But this shouldn't affect modem settings? (Grabbing at straws here...)

Last night connected successfully using Kirsten's viewer, thought the problem was over. Tried connecting today - same thing, net connection went dead. Definitely a prob. on my Mac... What do I do?? I'm desperate :((( No problem using other net apps after resetting the modem, only SL. What the...???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.