New to creating in Blender...NEED HELP!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 67 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi everyone,i am new to creating in Blender,i have attempted to make a mesh but struggling on how to unwrap...How do i unwrap easily so the textures line up right and don't stretch,I originally made meshes in Sketchup which is much easier but alot more basic which is why i wanted to start learning blender so i could make my own meshes for Second Life but the struggle is getting to me lol...Maybe its the mesh i made i have no idea but thought i'd ask if anyone might know or know where i can learn Blender for SL as i am not finding anything that could help me for this situation...i have attached what i am making but every time i try to unwrap especially the base i have a hard time,i am testing the unwrap with the UV GRID texture but everything seems off...Also for the part that i did in the front of the base that is bulging out is this how it would normally be done or is that why i am having issues? Thank you

16f2cde4c46d4197be2ae4dd5e308f7b.png

d177eebd1a2524b29032274bd0450f18.png

That is a fairly complex question and the "best" answer would be "start with something simpler" and then work up to what you have there. 

image.thumb.png.70e09a218dd5caf21322fd04901ec6f8.png

In general you will want to think about the different MATERIALS that will be part of your object -- so bottom base, glass, top base and likely one or more trim colors.  You can only have EIGHT materials per object in SL so think about that also.  Sometimes you can let Blender unwrap for you and it works (not all that often but sometimes). This is NOT a case for that. You you need to mark the edges where you want to divide the mapping.  I did a messy job giving you some ideas.

It is also important to knw in THIS case that the outside of the glass and the inside of the glass needs to be two different materials or you will have some nasty issue.

Honestly, if you haven't mapped before this is likely a nightmare and I do suggest that you make something simple and learn a bit at a time. Most people dislike mapping.  I really like it -- its a puzzle thing. There are plenty  of tricks to learn along the way but not really all in one day.  

I am going to look up my tutorial (there are a few) that explain the ideas about mapping.  These are in the OLD INTERFACE so just pay attention to the ideas behind what is going on.  I have no idea how things may have changed in he current interface --- I am still using the old one :D. 

Maybe you can look though the playlist towards the beginning (or just start at the beginning - they are short) and figure out some of what you need to know. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IIINADIANNEIII said:

How do i unwrap easily so the textures line up right and don't stretch

Ctrl+E, Mark Seam

This helps you control how the object is cut up into UV islands. A vertical seam along the main body of your model will help you unwrap the UV so the texture simply wraps around it. At the same time, Blender's default tools for cleaning up and straightening UVs are not great, but you can find a bunch of different unwrapping plugins for Blender with a simple search.

Applying rotation and scale prior to unwrapping can help a lot also.

In the UV editor, you can select individual islands and rotate, scale, etc., so that everything lines up better. There are a lot of tools, so it's a lot of baby steps to learn, but it's worth it.

I didn't know about the 8 materials thing, myself. Grateful for the info.

I just tend to give parts their own materials and then join them after unwrapping and texturing, but being able to mark off seams and create separate islands to select will help a lot.

As for stretching, there's always going to be a bit of that when you're mapping curved surfaces, but you can minimize it in how you cut up the mesh to create your seams prior to unwrapping. Think of those maps of the world globe, and it might give you some ideas about how to make that work. In cases where I don't want to damage, say, a pattern by doing that, I just run a seam down the back of the object, where I can hide it against the wall later.

Remember that a sphere is just a cylinder with rounded ends, and it might help a little.

Edited by PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 67 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.