strange problems after crashes

Pharazon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i'm a new SL player, but seem to be have a problem after i crash...

as far as i understand it crashing is part of the game, but whenever i come back after a crash i find i've lost some functionality.

i have no ability to stream music, or use voice. the icons are faded out. altough i am a member of groups, when i go to groups in the contact tab it says 'none', and finally, i can't teleport to other sims. i can teleport around the current one fine, but whenever i try to go to another sim it just crashes, telling me i have mee logged out/..

in terms of my specifications, it's an fairly old pc..

P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, ATI x800 gfx card, windows xp...

the thing is it works absolutely fine untill it crashes and then it's a nightmare. i've tried clearing cache, deleting all files, uninstalling ,etc all without sucess. i've tried different viewers and run into the same problem. does anyone have any suggestions?

5 answers to this question

Well first of all, crashes should not be an integral part of Second Life. I almost never crash but that is because I have a fairly hefty machine (new one is stellar) and a good connection. I ALSO have a hard wired modem connection which does help. I suspect that your system isn't really what SL would "like" to run well. Most of us have been there. Even many years ago most of the folks I knew that had just joined were forced to update their graphics cards in order to have a minimally optimal experience.

You might try using an older viewer. Either the 1.23 linden viewer still available or some of the third party viewers. These are typically easier on your system. Sometimes OLD is the way to go. Other than that, rebooting between crashes might help. Good luck. Unfortunately not everyone's machine will run SL.

Crashing is not "part of the SL experience".  I haven't crashed in SL for years (that's not an exaggeration either).  Loosing the connection to the servers is another story.........though, for me that is not a regular occurance either.  If you are using an older computer that is minimally spec'd for SL then you have to set your preferences pretty low.  Set your draw distance quit low too (like 64 meters).  Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.  Make sure you don't have unnecessary background programs running.....turn off that email checker, Yahoo (or your favorite instant messaging program), disable any auto updates you may have for programs (I'm thinking Windows Update and your Anti Virus especially).  If you have scheduled scans or backups make sure they are set to not kick in when you are on SL.

Another important thing to do would be to reset your modem often........if you are on a "flaky" connection you will often loose your connection to the servers.  That's not a crash but it might as well be since you can nothing until you quit and log back in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.