Driver Error, Wont launch SL. Acer Aspire 6930

Keiayra Blackheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Upgrading to Windows 7  is bound to cause you problems.  You need to go the nVidia website and download the proper Win7 graphics drivers for your graphics card as well as making sure you select 32 or 64 bit depending on which Windows 7 you installed.  If you used the drivers that Microsoft provided with the Win7 upgrade, they will not work and you will get a driver error.

--Cinn

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Upgrading to Windows 7  is bound to cause you problems.  You need to go the nVidia website and download the proper Win7 graphics drivers for your graphics card as well as making sure you select 32 or 64 bit depending on which Windows 7 you installed.  If you used the drivers that Microsoft provided with the Win7 upgrade, they will not work and you will get a driver error.

--Cinn

• Like 1

Agreed, Cinnamon. At least you are getting a clear message of what is most likely wrong.

To find out WHICH graphics card you have (VERY IMPORTANT) you can go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager and click on Device manager. That will tell you what card you have. Then go to the manufacture's website and download a new driver. Win7 update may eventually update it for you if you have all your updates turned on, but who knows how long that might take.

ALSO on the System window in the above path you can see whether you have 64 bit or 32 bit Win7 so that you get the correct driver.

• Like 1

Hi Keiayra,

If it's a NVIDIA GPU, go to this web page http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

Then click 'Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA-powered notebook'.

Just follow the instructions after that. It's easy. :)

EDIT:

If it turns out to be an ATI Mobility Card look here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-280​41SupportforATIMobility.aspx

• Like 1

I'm assuming when you say to upgraded to Win 7 you uprgraded from a Windows 7 Upgrade disk and did not do a "clean" install from that disk.......you inserted it in your drive, rebooted and chose "Upgrade".  What that does is basically change only the files necessary to change your operating system to a Windows 7 system instead of whatever system it was before you upgraded.........it overwrites the files it needs to change and adds the files that need be be added.  It only does that for the operating system and does nothing to the other software on your system.  Once you do all that you must visit Windows Update repeated until you get all the important updates and sercurity fixes......Service Pack 1 if your upgrade disk did not include it.

When you went to Windows Update (probably several times to get all the updates) and you took all the updates Windows found for your system you probably updated things that Windows found on your computer that were not important (optional updates).........if you accepted those updates it's very possible one of those updates were a driver for your video card.  When Windows updates video card drivers (actually any driver) it overwrites the old driver.  That is not the best way to update any driver (my opinion based on experience and other users much more expert than I am).  That overwriting of the driver file leaves plenty of room for corruption......sometimes to the point of the driver becoming useless.  It's also entirely the driver Windows found for you computer is older than the driver you were using before you upgraded........as old as year.

First you need to know what video card you have installed in your computer.  It's been told how to do that in an earlier post.  Once you have the information go to nVidia's driver download site:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I already pasted the video card search for the 9600.  If that is not your card then change the search fields so that it is correct.  If that is correct, the latest driver is version 275.33.  It's the same driver on both Win 7 64 and Win 7 32........so the architecture of Windows 7 is unimportant for the correct driver.  Download that drive setup file to your computer.......save it to your desktop or some convenient place on your computer (don't choose "Run").  Next shut down your browser and any running programs and open your control panel to uninstall your video driver (you might see more than one.......uninstall them all.  That requires several trips to the control panel as each uninstall takes a restart to complete).  You'll be notified by Windows that "new hardware found" and wants you to allow Windows to search for and install a driver for it..........close the dialog without allowing Windows to do that.  Once you are booted up and closed the "fournd new hardware" dialog (if you had to uninstall more than one driver I'm talking about the last time you need to restart), go to that setup file for the latest driver you downloaded to your hard drive and install it.  One last restart to complete the installation and your driver is now installed and your computer is using it.

Give SL another try.

Okay, I just got back on the forums after a couple hours TV watching and got your PM.......it's saying almost exactly what you edited your post to say.........thanks for the PM.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

I looked up the driver for an nVidia 9600M since you said you thought that was your video card.  I never looked up the specs for your Acer Aspire 6930 until just a few minutes ago (probably should have but I didn't.........I'm sorry about that).  I looked at the specs for that computer and it appears that your video is not a discrete 9600 card as I thought (that's the driver I directed you to on the nVidia driver download site).  Your computer has a Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset for your video.  That is an intergrated video adapter (or IGP).  That IGP will work with SL but, like any video adapter (discrete GPU or onboard IGP), it needs the proper driver.  You will have to go to the Acer site to get your driver update.....that's standard for most any IGP (desktop or laptop) no matter the manufacturer.  So go to Acer's driver download site and search your computer by model number (it should show your video chipset as Mobile Intel GM45 Express).  Download it to your hard drive just like I discribed before.  Uninstall the old driver(s).....deny Windows searching and installing a driver.  And install. 

Nothing really changes except where you download your driver from.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.