What is the split of SL users between RL Nations?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

55 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Possible new theme?

15989287-windmills-and-tulips-of-kinderd

Patch once replied in one of the Belli threads that the houseboat theme was already based on the Dutch houseboats.
Yeah right....  And they used that windmill type already as landmark in the chalet theme, which has further totally nothing to do with these chalets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

US style residential housing zones (like the ones found in SL) are a totally alien concept in most of Europe. In fact, most countries outside of the US don't have the rigid housing only, commercial only, business only or industrial only zones - they all exist mixed in together.

The US has a very "Sim City" videogame style of building their cities and communities, they plan and build specific things in specific zones on specific square grids miles and miles apart from each other, linked only by huge highways, little public transport, no bicycle routes, or even pedestrian walkways. European style communities and culture could not exist with this US model.

Mixed-use planning laws exist in European cities, which allows a multitude of different things to all be built together in a smaller area, where they would never be permitted in the US, because of the US's overly rigid zoning laws.  Mixed-use planning laws allows European people to live, work, find entertainment and culture all within very short distances and decreases the need to drive or even own a car.

It's not just the individual country sizes or age differences which form the planning models used in the two continents either, their cultures are totally different, their ways of living, the public services they have (or not have) and the way that they commute to work are part of why cities and communities in the two continents are so very very different.

Watch the video below to the end, to understand a bit more.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

This is the visitor count by country data to the website secondlife.com, not the traffic of AWS cloud servers that run the actual simulators. There may be a correlation, but then again, there may not be. Worse, the majority of secondlife.com visitors may be people who never have signed up for an account at all. In addition, there's many times more search engine bots and data harvesting bots (ironically, including ones used by similarweb.com), hacking scripts, etc. out there than actual people, and many of these bots use user-agent headers that are indistinguishable from those from actual people's browsers.

Also...

image.thumb.png.50816fae942259b92b5895e32a0556ba.png

Were the bleep did these similarweb people get the data about gender and age distribution? (Possible answer: inferred from all of your spied upon browsing behaviors.)

They must be going by their profiles.. hehehehe

What has me baffled is how .85%  of males that use SL have a females right arm..  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6tReJMl-XCU1kf-m4kQr

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I wonder how many SL users would choose housing like that - grubby, packed in, garbage around, roads too narrow to navigate.

Yes, I'm certainly not suggesting that they exactly replicate what is in those pics -- anymore than the LH trailers themes look like what some US trailer parks look like. They could widen the roads somewhat and "neaten up" the look (although I'm not sure that either the British or Japanese images show "grubbiness"?), and even add a bit more land around them. A UK country hamlet for instance might have cottages on reasonably sized lots. This is to the point:

They also mentioned several times that themes should be considered "inspired by" not exact replicas of each of the housing styles.

The "housing styles" that have been chosen -- even the so-called "Mediterranean" houses that mostly look like the monster homes for the upper middle class that have sprouted up on the outskirts of many cities -- are all unmistakably North American in look. They don't need to be.

I have no idea how many might choose such a look -- although I will maintain with some confidence that both Japanese and British small town themes would be fairly popular.

But you'd be surprised, maybe. I live by choice in a four-room apartment on the fifth floor of an apartment block that can also house 9 to 11 other people. It's not pretty: it's designed to look like a Soviet-era Eastern Bloc urban area, so the architecture is Brutalist, the wallpaper is peeling, and the urban landscape has seen better days, but it's infinitely more interesting and fun than living in something that looks like it was plucked from the screen of Pleasantville.

The Lindens have mentioned several reasons why high density housing won't work for Bellisseria.

Don't buy it. I am sure what they are doing now is easier, but higher density housing, like that in which I currently reside, has been around a long time in SL. My apartment has its own security system, and 250 prims: it functions simply and beautifully despite the fact that I live above, below, and right next to others.

And again, it needn't be apartment blocks. It just needs to be a kind of housing that isn't so rigidly US-centric in appearance.

Those with a vision should buy mainland and make their version of a traditional theme.

As indeed people have. But I can see no earthly reason why LL can't also cater to those who don't think that The Stepford Wives is a Utopian vision. They have a VERY international audience: it's about time they acknowledged and responded to that.

Also, I agree that everyone in SL is probably Dutch.

One advantage is that, with those wooden shoes, you can always hear them approaching long before you see them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Mixed-use planning laws allows European people to live, work, find entertainment and culture all within very short distances and decreases the need to drive or even own a car.

That's mainland.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
38 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Mixed-use planning laws allows European people to live, work, find entertainment and culture all within very short distances and decreases the need to drive or even own a car.

That's mainland.  

It's an interesting switch, usually it's "the UK is better than the US". 

45 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

What has me baffled is how .85%  of males that use SL have a females right arm.. 

Hypertrophy of the other arm due to "overuse", resulting in comparative atrophy?

Edited by Love Zhaoying

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hypertrophy of the other arm due to "overuse", resulting in comparative atrophy?

If the 📊 is correct, it's a female arm..

But I'm not really a sciencetoligist or anything smart like that and don't really science stuff too good.. That's why it's prolly bafflin meh some..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

As indeed people have. But I can see no earthly reason why LL can't also cater to those who don't think that The Stepford Wives is a Utopian vision. They have a VERY international audience: it's about time they acknowledged and responded to that.

I think that's an unfair accusation/association --  people who likely  simply prefer having a bit of land and a garden equated to "Stepford Wives" or "Pleasantville". I bet if you asked Europeans a good percentage of them would like a bit more land to garden on, in SL and RL.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why can't it also be Belli? For those who want a more diverse and cosmopolitan Linden Home?

Cramming together a bunch of houses plus some kind of commercial aspect?  All those pictures showed cramped houses, minimal yard if any, clutter, etc.  People like their landscaping.  I certainly don't want to step out on my back porch and be face to face with the neighbor.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think that's an unfair accusation/association --  people who likely  simply prefer having a bit of land and a garden equated to "Stepford Wives" or "Pleasantville". I bet if you asked Europeans a good percentage of them would like a bit more land to garden on, in SL and RL.

Beep Beep, boink boink.. I..love.. beep beep.. my gardens..

Kidding.. hehehe

I do love my gardens though..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Cramming together a bunch of houses plus some kind of commercial aspect?  All those pictures showed cramped houses, minimal yard if any, clutter, etc.  People like their landscaping.  I certainly don't want to step out on my back porch and be face to face with the neighbor.  

omg it's like the city.. I was at someones apartment one time in the city.. You could Literally ( correct use of the word Literally)  lean out of their kitchen window and touch the L tracks they were so close to the tracks..

They have some  buildings so close that they had to pour the sidewalk concrete in between them before they  built the buildings, because  a child Literally ( real use of the word again) could turn sideways and end up getting their head stuck between them..

It makes no sense with some of the things I've seen in Chicago alone..

The only thing I miss about that congestion is the food..

I don;t think that many humans were meant to be crammed together that tight.. LOL

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Small town Britain

shaftesbury_england.jpg

Edited 2 hours ago by Scylla Rhiadra

This is cute, but parceling it would be a nightmare due to the limited way we can divide land here.

However auditory privacy (not hearing neighbors who are too close) could be maintained via having every other house be fake/empty, if only parcels could be more irregular.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I hate crowded places. I about died when I had to visit San Francisco for awhile to help my daughter:

san francisco crowded.jpg

I've been back to Chicago a few times.. You can't even get me to think about going to even the state of Illinois anymore..

Just even driving up north  you see it start to get more dirty the more north you go.. Even the grass gets a more grey tone to it..

there is like a darkness that comes over me even on the way there.. lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This is cute, but parceling it would be a nightmare due to the limited way we can divide land here.

However auditory privacy (not hearing neighbors who are too close) could be maintained via having every other house be fake/empty, if only parcels could be more irregular.

Just cutting the grass makes me think, Ya we need sheep for this.. hehehehe

Trust me. it's no fun not easy living on the side of a mountain.. ;)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I created this in 2006 or so...and managed to get a nice curve WITH parcelling...but it was not easy...and the houses had to be a bit further apart.  I think we barely had sculpt then. My fav part was the canal...a touch of Venice that my customers requested.

*Yes, sometimes I build structures...my head is not always in a tree..hehe

Mediterranean Village.jpg

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's oh so pretty until you have to walk on it!  lol

I kind of edited that, because it can be fun, but it's not easy a lot of the time.. Your legs stay really fit though that's for sure..  any time I'm at my garden and have to run up to the house or really anywhere down below and have to go up, it's like.. Do I really need this thing now or can I get by without it..  hehehe

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

living on the side of a mountain..

So many would love to live as you do, as you've described your area over the years. In San Francisco such a place would be worth millions of dollars. Just my fairly small-sized home, worth 60,000 on the central plains of the US, would be worth a million in SF, so said my son-in-law who lives there.

*If only I could transplant my home to SF...hehe.  Though it's so crowded I'd really like to live there to be near my daughter and grandson, but I can't afford the high cost of living in the area.

Edited by Luna Bliss

55 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why would you equate those two things -- my satirical comment, and not having a bit of land or garden? I've already suggested that European, Asian, or African-style houses could. And, in RL, they do: they will include allotment gardens, small vegetable or herb gardens, and even flower gardens. Even my little apartment has a "garden":

A-Garden-2-(SM)-Forum.thumb.png.41cccbe5a4ce1973ac21247923aca195.png

And my own parcel is an urban "guerrilla garden" which grows veggies and fruit on a (notionally) abandoned lot.

My reference was to the sterility and glossy "perfectness" of most LH builds: they are attempts to replicate plasticized versions of the American Dream. No trash cans, no raccoons, no run down schools or abandoned lots, no slightly decrepit but still beloved local convenience store. And if that's what people want, more power to them; I am not suggesting they be replaced.

I'm arguing that maybe we don't all want to live in suburbia. I grew up there, and as soon as I was old enough and financially able to, at age 19, I got out and never looked back. And I don't believe I'm the only one.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I can get behind many of the Mexican villages I've seen -- they don't try to eradicate nature like some of the other monstrous looking apartment buildings in Europe (or the US for that matter).

mexican-village2013.jpg

mexican village 2.jpg

I fail to see how this is substantively any different than the models I offered.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.