Second Life Very Very Laggy, Help Pls!

ChelseaLuce

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all, i've recently come back too SL and i've noticed with the last two updates of Phoenix Viewer i'm getting quite laggy, i've checked the Lag Meter and everything is showing as fine but when i check FPS i'm run at 10 - 12 and i was running at 20 - 30 before this. 

My PC has these specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (2210.22 MHz)Memory: 2048 MBOS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA CorporationGraphics Card: GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.7533OpenGL Version: 3.3.0
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.20.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.697, Runtime: 1.4.0Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1

Things i have tried so far are clearing Cache manually and through Phoenix, Defragging the HD, Scandisk and wiping the temp folder.

I can't afford too increase anything at the moment but is their anything anyone might be able too suggest that would help?

Thanks xx

Almost everyone gets this lag.  I've noticed I can be laggy at first when starting the viewer, but once the viewer gets "powered up" so to speak, the lag lessens.

I've also noticed that my spyware sometimes runs furiously when I'm on SL, and then once the spyware is done being so furious, the lag lessens.

Do you notice that the lag lessens if you wait awhile while the viewer gets going?  (I also tp to some places with less scripts just to get going on SL) before I go to a club where there could be lag, and then I'm pretty good at the club places where a lot of scripts are running most of the time.

Also, have you noticed anything with your spyware in connection with SL?  My spyware and SL are in constant enmity with one another, so with SL, I need patience. 

I don't have any technical answers for you, however, but perhaps someone will...?

Welcome to Second Life Forums, ChelseaLuce. How high have you got your graphics set at? Are you on a wired or wireless connection? Do you find you have this relatively low framerate only at certain times of the day?  It could just be that since you were last on Second Life, a whole bunch of other people are now sharing your broadband connection, which has diluted it, and you don't get the speed you had before.

I'm sure other people will be along soon with more suggestions for you.

Technical or not that's a pretty good suggestion.  The viewer does really need to power up but when you first log in to SL and new objects are textures have moved into your view or new scripts are being run on your sim or neighboring sims it can take a while for everything to get cached and settle down.  That will happen when you TP to someplace you haven't been to in a while (or ever).  The spyware reacting is a little unusual but I suppose it's happening if you have a way of viewing it.  Some anti-virus software does kick in..........to the point of interferring noticably (Norton and McAfee both have that reputation). 

I'm with Cinnamon and Marigold on the settings.  Your 8400 is very capable of running SL though with the recent features introduced to the grid it's not going to perform like it did a couple years ago.  Make sure you have the latest driver.......that could have a bearing on performance.  Lowering your draw distance plus turning off some of the more graphic intensive features (like shadows and reflections) will help a great deal, I think.

It changes from day to day really, sometimes it's laggy when I first log onto SL but I always try too give maybe 5 - 10 mins while it finishes loading everything up. I've been noticing it mainly though happens when I've been on SL for a bit and doesn't matter what sim I'm on either, I TP around and still the same issue.

I'm not sure about spyware I'm using Avast Internet Security and have Super Anti Spyware on the PC but that is the free version so it's not always running, I scan my PC with it though regularly. I'm on a 4mb connection and my internet comes down my phoneline but is plugged into the PC via a ASDL cable. Oh and i have updated the latest driver of my graphics card recently.

My settings automatically go too Medium when Phoenix is installed and i don't really mess about with them much other than too increase or decrease certain things:

Draw Distance: 96

Max Particle:256

Objects, Flexi Prims and Avatars are all full while Trees are dragged too Low.

Oh and i never have Atmospheric Shaders on either.

Yes, I've noticed this too.  SL can be more laggy when there is a lot of traffic.  I remember dial-up when everyone was trying to get online on the weekends; is was just so slow trying to even get on the internet on weekends, and also a lot of traffic when people get home from work, or to try to even access my internet at Christimas-time because of all the Christime-time internet traffic.

Early in the morning, SL can run great for me with no lag whatsoever and is the best time for me to adjust a lot of settings or work on my avatar, do photos, etc.

Cable is great, but it gets clogged at times just like dial-up used too. 

Oh yes and welcome ChelseaLuce!  There is a lot of helpful reading on here, but it depends on what viewer u r using also as to what info pertains to your type of viewer. 

ETA:  Another helpful hint is to make sure you have rebooted in case anything has updated on your computer.  SL works better for me after a reboot because my spyware updates everyday, and other things randomly update as well.   Rebooting is helpful to avoid crashing tho, I think rather than lag. 

Lag could very well be caused by congestion.  I've often thought it's possible. 

I'm finding it's happening even early in the mornings, being from the UK i get online before alot of other people do and it's generally quiet. Some days it's been fine then others it'll fluctuate.

I'm in a area where the only internet I can get is down the phone line so no luck in getting more than 4mb outta my connection.

It doesn't really matter which viewer I'm using, I've tried using Phoenix and Singularity. I've not tried Viewer 2 because I hate the interface.

Oh and I always restart after updates but thanks for the tip :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.