Why is my account Restricted?

Morgan Nettle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Get the following message when I attempt to enable billing througn PayPal

An error occurred while processing your request.

• The use of this PayPal account has been restricted.

and it's so restricted, I can't even buy one Linden

Called telephone billing support, NO HELP AT ALL and was VERY rude about it.

Have you Linden "Gods" become so arrogant that you won't even take my money now?

10 answers to this question

I got that too a while ago, I went to paypal to see why and they had flagged my paypal account to be randomly selected for security reasons. They made me make 2 new security questions, and change my password. Try going to paypal to see if its something paypal has done to your account.

In order to use PayPal as a payment method the PayPal account must be verified.  That verification is between you and Paypal.  Go to your PayPal to find out what you must do to get your account verified.  If your account was verified but for some reason became restricted then something happened to cause PayPal to restrict your account......most probably for some security reason and you'd be wise to find out why and correct it immediately.  It's for your protection against fraud as well as for PayPal and their ability to get paid by their members holding the accounts (unfortunately, some people just don't pay what they owe).  PayPal, like any business, can make mistakes.  Those mistakes will not be fixed until the business are advised of the mistake.

On the Linden Lab billing support.  I've had to call them 4 or 5 times over the years for various reasons.  Every time I recieved polite, concise, and accurate information and help.  In every case my problem was resolved before I hung up the phone (one problem was not on LL's end, it was on my end).  Never had to wait on hold for more than about 10 minutes to speak to a human being.  That's less time by about 1/4 than I have to wait when calling my cable provider (who I've had to call many more times than I ever had to call LL).  Perhaps the secret to my "success" when calling LL billing is that I have a legitamate billing issue of some kind (I'm not trying to sneak some technical issue in on them),  I have the account name and security questions handy for the account I'm having trouble with (the email address attached to that account), and I think what my problem is and state it as clearly as possible.........no embellishments to "make it more 'important' than it is"  (if it's a minor problem, I say so.....they know what's important and what's not).  Then wait for their help.  If I don't understand I ask for clarification without getting upset with them if it's not something I want to hear.  I've been in customer service, I know people who have to call for help are all that happy, but I also know that anger only puts the support person in a bad mood.  You can disagree (even argue) without accusations of incompetence or arrogance.  There are always simple and "pat" suggestions offered (just like the "clear you cache and relog" suggestion given here daily.......it's just a very basic thing to do, more a process of elimination than anything else).  Take those exactly for what they are...........it needs to be said.  If billing tells you it's something to do with your payment method provider (like I'm sure was told in this case) then check into it.......they are most likey correct.

Keep in mind that your questions here are answered by residents just like you.  If you wish to contact Linden Lab directly, you must either file a support ticket or phone them (as Peggy has done).  Perhaps, as you get more experience in SL, you, too, will help out other residents.

First I checked with PayPal first. No problems on their end and very cordial there.

Second: The "helpful" Linden billing person started out saying that she never heard of this before and that it must be my fault. Things went worse from there. It is apparent to me that the Linden staff does not give a rip anymore. So neither do I. They don't want my money, then fine! They don't get anymore.

Third: And thank you for implying that my issue was not "Legit". Are you actually that person I talked to?

I never implied that. What I said is that if you state your question as clearly as you can and listen to the answer from the support person without taking what they say as any slam against you, you probably will have success. I doubt you got quite the response you say did.....and, by your discription of the issue I can certainly understand the support person telling you that they have never heard of the problem if, in fact, you called PayPal and your account is verified and the payment should have gone through. That would tell you that there is a mistake somewhere.......instead of trying to find out where the mistake is, you chose to get mad (and probably indicated that over the phone). No support person has to endure abuse and is well within their rights to terminate the conversion (that can appear to be rude..........but, was it really?).

I can tell from your response to me that you have a rather short fuse and are quick to turn the conversation in the direction you want it to go.........that would make it difficult to get satisfactory support on most anything (unless, of course, the support person told you what you wanted to hear).

I think that is neive. The Lindens do watch and respond here incognito, Feel strongly that Peggy"Sue" is one as she repeated the same things the rude telephone support person said. But no mater, I am gone from SL for good now. So, this conversation is moot. Have a nice life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.