SL Hot Takes & Unpopular Opinions!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some of my SL hot takes because why not?

• How body mesh was introduced was a HUGE mistake.
  • Kid Avatar's need their own separate platform, they don't need to be on the same platform that is hypersexualized.
  • SL Content creation should have stayed a hobby or at most, a second income.
  • You're just asking for a lawsuit if you're putting RL brand logos on your virtual products.
  • SL was better back before everything became money and popularity-based.
  • Flexi should've stayed dead.
  • The Community side of SL died years ago.
  • People take too much comfort in this platform's anonymity and treat people horribly because of it.

What are some of your Hot takes/ Unpopular opinions?

Edited by Ivy Mysterious
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ivy Mysterious said:

• How body mesh was introduced was a HUGE mistake.
  • Kid Avatar's need their own separate platform, they don't need to be on the same platform that is hypersexualized.
  • SL Content creation should have stayed a hobby or at most, a second income.
  • You're just asking for a lawsuit if you're putting RL brand logos on your virtual products.
  • SL was better back before everything became money and popularity-based.
  • Flexi should've stayed dead.
  • The Community side of SL died years ago.
  • People take too much comfort in this platform's anonymity and treat people horribly because of it.

What are some of your Hot takes/ Unpopular opinions?

OK, I am going to go there. Some furries creep me out. You know, the really sexualised furry avatars with ugly animal-style heads but human-type bodies that are dressed in revealing clothing. Don't want to turn this into a thread about the merits or otherwise of furries, but you asked for hot takes. Cute feral avatars, those I quite like.

48 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

OK, I am going to go there. Some furries creep me out. You know, the really sexualised furry avatars with ugly animal-style heads but human-type bodies that are dressed in revealing clothing. Don't want to turn this into a thread about the merits or otherwise of furries, but you asked for hot takes. Cute feral avatars, those I quite like.

They haven't always creeped me out, but here in the last couple years they've started to. If you run around with animal ears and a tail I'm cool with it, but the full anthro avis are a little too much for me personally anymore 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ivy Mysterious said:

As an Evo X user myself I'm biased towards it, but I will admit that I've completely forgotten why there UV map has to be upside down to begin with 

I don't get what the hoopla is about.

evoxskin_hullabaloo.thumb.jpg.6ae3a52b99db05b70c26d45ad1440c61.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

• Kid Avatar's need their own separate platform - Safer and cheaper to avoid underages entirely
  • SL Content creation should have stayed a hobby or at most, a second income. - True
  • You're just asking for a lawsuit if you're putting RL brand logos on your virtual products. - True, but not the labs fault.
  • SL was better back before everything became money and popularity-based. - That was 20 years ago now
  • The Community side of SL died years ago. - I disagree.
Edited by rasterscan
  • Thanks 1

LL should close mainland completely; at worst keep/expand Belliseria a bit. The amount of people who care about laggy experience using vehicles through those relics of the past (and thus would quit if mainland wasn't a thing) does not make even the fraction of money needed to keep as many regions running 24/7, especially ones with 90-100% abandoned parcels. Saved money/resources should be used to make private regions much cheaper.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

SL is far, far too expensive for what it offers.

Well.... if you want to run a full region, that is not backed up with income from commercial activities.... yes, I agree.

But if one is satisfied with a modest parcel and if one looks for sharp prices in the sale events, one can live happily for weeks in SL for less than an evening out in RL or an extended outdoor lunch or even a few coffees at Starbucks. Basically SL is as expensive as one personally makes it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Ivy Mysterious said:

... or the unnecessary sexualisation of the grid generally should be reversed or stopped altogether?  That's what has killed lots of people's enjoyment of the game, and there are other and more suitable platforms if you really want to play with that sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

SL is far, far too expensive for what it offers.

Yes, land prices are too high for anyone who just wants to build for fun and their own pleasure, without dropping down to the lowest common denominators of shops, clubs or adult entertainment venues where most of the 'activity' is done within IM rather than the social aspect of the game.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

LL should close mainland completely; at worst keep/expand Belliseria a bit. The amount of people who care about laggy experience using vehicles through those relics of the past (and thus would quit if mainland wasn't a thing) does not make even the fraction of money needed to keep as many regions running 24/7, especially ones with 90-100% abandoned parcels. Saved money/resources should be used to make private regions much cheaper.

If land prices were lower generally, or a better way of paying for tier rather than such large fractions, then there might not be as much abandoned land because most people can't afford the land they want to build what they want to build.  I've had the same bit of mainland for 18 years and I'd quite like to stay where I am.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lewis Nerd said:

there are other and more suitable platforms if you really want to play with that sort of thing.

Is there? I've seen nothing like SL as far as that goes.

I mean there's basically no other virtual world platforms these days, SL has it pretty much entirely to themselves and the fact they allow adult content makes them a very, very unique player in an already very niche space.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.