What do I do with my Maitreya Lara body without a head?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I think perhaps you disregard the community of modders for the Sims4. Avatar customization in the Sims4 is rampant and also ends up in SL and vice versa. I see hair and clothing crossovers all the time.

I think also you may be discounting the resourcefulness of those new to the grid. I'm hardly active as a helper for the Maitreya Friends group now that I have a RL job that takes up much of my time, but during my days in that group, it was not unusual for those brand new to the grid to run in and get a Lara mesh body and a mesh head of some sort right away. Did they need help? Yes, but not as much as you might think. Part of the fun for them was getting that avatar customized and buying a wardrobe for it.

I'd say the same happens with IMVU modders where avatar customization is a big thing with the same crossovers you describe for Sims4 but the problem is the difference in how the inventory is listed. Here it is all alpha numeric text whereas in IMVU it is all graphical so even if the one does not read english, the picture shows what the item is making it much easier for those who are visually oriented. I've brought some IMVU friends over who were excited at the possible avatar customizations but left when it was just too much bother having to read all of the entries for the various items rather than a quick glance to locate and wear the items required. What can take minutes over there, requires an hour here not including the time having to text search for an item one has bought but now can't find without having to rezz out the all the items one thinks it might be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'd say the same happens with IMVU modders where avatar customization is a big thing with the same crossovers you describe for Sims4 but the problem is the difference in how the inventory is listed. Here it is all alpha numeric text whereas in IMVU it is all graphical so even if the one does not read english, the picture shows what the item is making it much easier for those who are visually oriented. I've brought some IMVU friends over who were excited at the possible avatar customizations but left when it was just too much bother having to read all of the entries for the various items rather than a quick glance to locate and wear the items required. What can take minutes over there, requires an hour here not including the time having to text search for an item one has bought but now can't find without having to rezz out the all the items one thinks it might be.

I've never played a game (yes, I know SL isn't really a game) where inventory management was NOT an issue. It's probably my number one issue in all the games I play, but it hasn't stopped me from playing. :) 

• Like 3

On 10/25/2023 at 9:33 AM, Blush Bravin said:

I've never played a game (yes, I know SL isn't really a game) where inventory management was NOT an issue. It's probably my number one issue in all the games I play, but it hasn't stopped me from playing. :) 

I noted Sim4 had a pictorial inventory like IMVU

assets.png

Like Imvu, I wouldn't have much complaint about that Inventory especially in comparison to the SL one. A picture is worth a 1000 words. That would be so much easier to dress from as one can tell right away what it is rather than trying to decipher what that item was you purchased 5 years ago.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

assets.png

Like Imvu, I wouldn't have much complaint about that Inventory especially in comparison to the SL one. A picture is worth a 1000 words. That would be so much easier to dress from as one can tell right away what it is rather than trying to decipher what that item was you purchased 5 years ago.

I use third party mods in Sims4 to make using the inventory better. Yes, there are pics available but unless you use a mod you only see 3 rows at a time. Finding stuff even with pics in Sims4 is a PITA. You can also use inventory systems in SL that will show you pics as well. They all take work. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

assets.png

It would be so doable as well, it's frustrating this isn't a thing in Second Life. A standard name for an product image file in every folder and the viewer could find it and display the thumbnail in this form. Even better would be if the items were sorted into say tops, bottoms, underwear, jackets, complete outfits etc based on the name of the file, that way there wouldn't even need to be any update to object metadata to facilitate a gallery view like this.

edit: then again... how would it know which version of the item to choose? packs come with multiple bodies, after all. Okay, back to the drawing board...

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I think the picture feature is coming to SL though as a default soon though. 

Yes, inventory previews were announced back in June. To my knowledge, they have not been fully released yet and are only available in the preview viewer. They aren't a 100% perfect solution - you or the creator has to opt to add them to items after they're available, so they won't be retroactive on old items - but hopefully creators will start to use them.

For users wanting a more comprehensive visual inventory solution, I recommend trying the CTS Wardrobe. It allows you to take pictures of your items or outfits and upload them to an outside website, then wear them from the web using RLV connections. I've been using mine for almost a decade now and it's incredible.

Edited by Arwyn Quandry
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, LiliyaWright said:

There are some heads on Marketplace that are only 1L sold by UnPandaRojo (their store is The Black Sheep). I bought the one with the Roman nose for my alt and am quite happy with how she turned out.

Roman.jpg

LL should have bought these (for a fair price) and used them as the Senra head, they're so much better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Marie Antoinette Cosplay Prank is still available. You don't need a head at all to have a fun SL, and here is proof.

decapitator.jpg.a48de4e9765fa01111a92c5f005aa6d8.jpg

HMU inworld and I'll just give you one for free. This is not an ad (I hate commercials), it is me personally offering you a gift.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 11:07 PM, Arwyn Quandry said:

Yes, inventory previews were announced back in June. To my knowledge, they have not been fully released yet and are only available in the preview viewer. They aren't a 100% perfect solution - you or the creator has to opt to add them to items after they're available, so they won't be retroactive on old items - but hopefully creators will start to use them.

For users wanting a more comprehensive visual inventory solution, I recommend trying the CTS Wardrobe. It allows you to take pictures of your items or outfits and upload them to an outside website, then wear them from the web using RLV connections. I've been using mine for almost a decade now and it's incredible.

I wanted to love CTS, but nearly gagged when I saw the program.

The UX is like a poorly design user interface designed by a Windows-only engineer who has no design knowledge from the 1990s.

There has to be some sort of balance between form and function for me to want to learn something new, and that isn't it, sadly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.