So what's up with this obsession with realistic avatars?

honerken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perrie Juran wrote:

It would be nice if Linden Lab could just push a button and the entire SL world rescaled to have accurate height measures as you describe.  But I don't think it can be done.  PROPORTIONS are a huge issue.  To just say, reduce all builds by 10% will not work. Too many different things will require too many different adjustments.

Whenever I see the topic discussed, the forced shrinking down of avatars en mass is what a lot of the people seem to fear is being requested. It's not, and I believe it would be a very bad idea. I recommend you read the article I linked to, I get into detail on the topic.

Suffice to say, even among the 6'8"-8'10" avatars, scale is broken. Encouraging people to scale down over time by the ways I suggest would not make this problem worse than it already is. People greatly exaggerate the difficulties of correcting this issue.

Perrie Juran wrote:

If I can find it (I think I should still have it), several years ago Bits & Bobs had a note card discussing the challenges of designing and aligning couple poses.  It is not as easy as one may think, especially because all Avatars are not the same height.  So what they had to do was decide on a happy medium for the default positions.

I believe the same is true for the default design of Second Life, and that the default is set to make the basic world look as BELIEVABLE as possible across the widest variety of user's hardware.

The difficulties the Bits & Bots notecard explains are correct, but can be diminished greatly if LL and content creators took a few simple steps. It's really not that difficult. LL could do their part in a day if they really wanted to. Content creators can start any time they like, and in doing so actually broaden their market.

Seriously, read the article.

Perrie Juran wrote:

For example, we don't all use the same size monitors set at the same screen resolutions.  When SL started, wide screens were the exception.  And actually most wide screens violate the Fibonacci series which unknown to many people contributes greatly to eye strain because it forces your eyes to move in an unnatural manner.  But regardless of that, the way the world appears on a 15 inch lap top screen is different than how it appears on a 45 inch true 1080i screen.  So again, unless you are advocating only people with the highest of high tech should be allowed to enjoy SL, a happy medium has to be struck in order to make the Second Life world enjoyable to the maximum number of users.

I'm really not following this at all. Comparing the scale issue to the differences in power between SL users computers is a very poor analogy.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Overall, it's just not as simple as saying, "OK Linden Lab, wave your magic wand and fix it."

Then it's a very good thing that no one has suggested otherwise, isn't it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just noticed this thread and have to leave my opinion on the subject...............it does seem theres a certain tallism thing going on in s/l.

not sure why so many girls kinda think the stick with boobs look as i call it :matte-motes-big-grin:(i.e 8ft tall long legs huge boobs and stick think bodies)looks great as in my opinion real women should have curves and i find it scary if a womens avitar is taller than me as i'm 7'2 and seen girls who tower over me lol

i can understand with models but short avitars do seem to get discrimanated as mentioned get asked to leave clubs as they look child look but surely everyone is allowed there own look and style in secondlife and just like in real life we all come in different shapes and sizes :))))))

honerken wrote:

It's like I can't go anywhere these days without someone complaining that my avatar is too tall.  I didn't know SL was real life, and we have to look 'realistic'.

Perhaps I should just walk around a 2 foot gnome.  I'll show them.  
:P

If it's women saying this to you, perhaps it's just you missing the hint that maybe if you were a little bit shorter, you and whoever said it just might fit on a naughty poseball set together.. :smileysurprised: ... Not everything that sounds critical is really a criticism, especially if who said it seems otherwise genuinely interested in you. It may have been a pass at you and you just tanked it.

For general purposes, I do not understand the justification for complaining about another avatar's proportions (or species, mystical or otherwise) in a world that advertises a your world/your imagination mindset.

On land where access is free, it is reasonable to expect to see avatars of various shapes and sizes, and for me personally this is one of the enjoyable things about SL. On the other hand, on land where the owner chooses to restrict access based proportion requirements, I also see nothing wrong with that although it does sound like a headache.

On the other hand, specific, practical discussions about the pros and cons of large-scale, medium-scale, small-scale, realistic/unrealistic-scale proportions for a given situation do make sense to me.

Roleplay (such as a big monster and realistic height avs), how much relative "room" you have in a region, and choices in what is typically available in furniture, animation and building purchases ... those are practical considerations in deciding what proportions work best for you (this was described very well in another thread). Also very important, the practical consideration of where your imagination takes you on a given day. Although I am always an old, old, old man, I imagine that many people change their shape, skin, and size on a regular or frequent basis for the pure fun of it. It would be a shame to discourage that, at least it seems so to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Oz Wylder wrote:

well obese can look fab.

Just think of it as a nice fluffy pillow, just means more of us to love:)

Well, without going into too much detail, I'm thinking the happy medium starts at naturally curvy and ends somewhere around fluffy.  No skeletons, but I'd also rather not have to use my degree in engineering to work out the mechanics, either.

• 8 months later...

Well, this is no doubt dew to avatars that realisticaly sized. I'm one of these realistica sized avatars. For saying we get more complates, yes because we are treated unfaily; People ignore HOW the avatar looks: tattoos, make-out, clothing, skin, shape, etc. A kid doesn't have tats, doesn't have face piercing, or dress like adults. This is all ignored.Because everyone makes amazon or giants, anyone that is shorter than 7" is seen as a "kid". Kid avatars on average are 3" tall.

You can make your avatar however tall you want, after all it is second life.

Oratashii wrote:

Well, this is no doubt dew to avatars that realisticaly sized. I'm one of these realistica sized avatars. For saying we get more complates, yes because we are treated unfaily; People ignore HOW the avatar looks: tattoos, make-out, clothing, skin, shape, etc. A kid doesn't have tats, doesn't have face piercing, or dress like adults. This is all ignored.Because everyone makes amazon or giants, anyone that is shorter than 7" is seen as a "kid". Kid avatars on average are 3" tall.

You can make your avatar however tall you want, after all it is second life.

i like your bottom line..and think that that is all it should come down to..

the whole tall and small thing has been something going on for awhile..defiantly not one sided at all..

there are two ends of the bar giving those in the middle a headache lol

i've never had a problem with a tall or small or realistic or child avatar or a furry or vamp or any of them unless they tried to impose something on my SL or any of my friends..

my smallest shape is 4.8 prim height my tallest is 7'6" with lots of sizes inbetween them..

one of my friends..he is no taller than the heel on my boot lol

he gets called cute no matter where he goes..

he usually sits on the table  or on the bar or where ever we are sitting at..hehehe

people that have a problem with how someone else made their avatar because that's how they wanted to make it..it's them that have the problem..

they should pay more attention to those looking for help that want help in making their shape..not trying to convert people one way or the other because they seem to think they don't fit in here or are not with their clique

that's prejudice..

not everyone is here to make the perfect realistic avatar..and short or tall doesn't make them realistic..

i just don't think people should be given a hard time when they have put in effort and are happy with how they turned out..if they are happy then leave them be..if they are not then offer some advice that may be helpful..

if someone wants to block that type of thing from their sim..more power to them..but come outside bashing and it's nothing but wrong..

we should be able to make our avatars as tall or short or realistic or unrealistic as we want without prejies swooping in saying we are doing it wrong and be damned or do it right...

how the heck do they know what we are even doing anyways..all they are seeing is book covers..

i don't have a problem with those being helpful..it's just the self righteous that tweak me..

and those sit on both sides.. not just one..

heck there are a lot of older users still sitting on default avatars because it just doesn't matter to them..because they are here for lots of other reasons than tweaking a shape..

yet they will still be seen and treated as crappy as a newbie until someone gets past the book cover to see that born date..

to each their own in this world and the other..

and to those taking the time to help in either direction with tutorials and blogs and threads and posts and all that other good helpful information..

this is not about you...

it's about those giving other people crap for feeling content while sitting on one side or the other in this whole silly war thing or whatever it is hehehe *winks*

that's my opinion...that and $2 usd used to be able to get you a bad cup of coffee at the nearest greasy spoon..but even those days are over now lol

I've been needing re-sized shoes for some projects and I've been buying full perm shoes and sizing them as needed. You might need to texture them as well and sometimest the whole thing comes in sculpt textures only so you have to do a bit of work to get a full shoe. It's expensive but there aren't many alternatives. You could also take a look at all the free shoes on the freebie avatars in your library. Those are full perm too. I took out the invisiprims on one of them and it works great.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Interesting...another old thread resurrected by a 'one day old.'

Will there be a second post?

I'd rather someone contribute to an old but existing thread than rehash the same material from the start all over again.

I agree with you on that point.

But what I (we've) been noticing is old threads getting resurrected lately with out a single other comment anywhere by the resurrecter. Often times it is with accounts that are only a day or two old though in this instance Oritasshi is about a month old.  I don't always go and check but now in this instance I have.

Maybe she will post again.  I hope she does.  Though it does seem sometimes that this subject has been beat to death.  But for newer folks like her who are dealing with the issue I can see the possible need to bring it up.

I am the DJ manager at a club. My av is 6.32 feet tall. I was told last night by a newish SLer in the club that " they dont allow kids in here, you need to leave before you get banned."  After telling them, politely of course, that i was the DJ manager and was over 6 feet tall and and ELF to boot they informed me that "LL did not allow children on Adult land." I chuckled and asked them to show me where it stated that, knowing full well that unless  there is a potential for sex in the area child avs are allowed anywhere in SL. They told me it was common knowledge and to "look it up for my lazy A$$ self."

/me shakes his head. newbs

ah yes, forgot to mention, i am ALWAYS the shortest guy there, usually the shortest av there, until recently when we had a slew of "RL" sized avs start coming.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

/me shakes his head. newbs

I join the head shaking as I too have seen some fairly new arrivals who act as if they knew all about SL, instructing others what is right and what is wrong.

Maybe they want to give an image that they are "cool old hands"?

cool-5.gif

But alas for them, instead of cool, they make themselves appear as

clown_face_coloring_page_0515-1004-1704-0247_SMU.jpg

:smileytongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.