Discreet area from the gaze of others

MateaAtaraxie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, I am looking for the name of a script which makes my avatar invisible to curious people except for me, when I am in my skybox.

Edit : I see a lot of areas where the right to zoom in on an avatar doesn't exist, I don't know what it's called and I don't know how it works. Is this authorization to be requested from the owner if yes, what are the fees? Or is it a free choice for the tenant... I would like to obtain more information on these areas with yellow stripes and the other existing possibilities that I have already seen and therefore I do not know the name. And it's like these fitting rooms where you are hidden from others, I would also like to have privacy in my skybox. Please answer me.

Edited by MateaAtaraxie

No such thing exists - you cannot ever hide yourself from the map or nearby avatar list unless you are a Linden Lab avatar.

Set parcel privacy and people will still see your dot on the map and name but they will not be able to actually see your avatar (on any other avatar on the parcel) unless they are on the parcel as well.

Edited by Randy Pole
clarification on parcel privacy workings
  • Like 2

Yeah, the best you can do is the parcel privacy setting, and it's pretty close to what seems to be wanted. For more about it, see the Knowledge Base article.

One limitation, though: at skybox altitude, simple whitelist access control (e.g., only allow group members, etc) doesn't apply, so a really dedicated voyeur could intrude on the parcel and get a view of everybody inside. To prevent that, you would use a script—could be any common "security" script—to detect and blacklist ban individual intruders from the parcel. To be neighborly, though, you wouldn't want to let the script run when you're not actually on the parcel.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MateaAtaraxie said:

Edit : I see a lot of areas where the right to zoom in on an avatar doesn't exist, I don't know what it's called and I don't know how it works. Is this authorization to be requested from the owner if yes, what are the fees? Or is it a free choice for the tenant... I would like to obtain more information on these areas with yellow stripes and the other existing possibilities that I have already seen and therefore I do not know the name. And it's like these fitting rooms where you are hidden from others, I would also like to have privacy in my skybox. Please answer me.

Sorry, I totally missed this part when I first answered your question. This part, "to be requested from the owner" vs "a free choice for the tenant" suggests the skybox is rented. That would mean you'll probably want to talk to the landlord about it because you're describing "land" or "parcel" permission settings that are managed (mostly) by the landlord and/or scripted devices owned by the landowner or land owning group.

If you own a parcel yourself, of course, you get to control all this yourself (but it also means you need to control it all yourself). Then you get to choose whether you want yellow stripe "whitelist" banlines (parcel access control settings that allow in specific individuals or group members), the parcel "privacy" setting already described where avatars are invisible from outside the parcel, and any scripted "security orb" you like (within the Terms of Service and the estate Covenant).

At the other extreme, the least flexible arrangement is stacked skyboxes, where multiple tenants share the same parcel; in those cases the landlord can't choose different parcel settings for different tenants, so you're stuck with whatever settings the landlord picks as best for all tenants and whatever scripts the landlord provides or allows.

Other rental arrangements where each tenant gets their own parcel can be almost as flexible as owning the land; it all depends on how the landlord sets it up.

• Like 2

Doesn't exist. Skyboxes also provide zero privacy even using the settings provided like "Other users can see and hear avatars on this parcel" checkbox in land settings due to the nature of them being skyboxes, anyone can fly over/under them and see inside. You could of course use a security orb to prevent this but it would simply eject people venturing too close and I'm really not sure if such things are allowed in skybox rentals due to the nature of them, could cause chaos if set incorrectly.

The absolute best 'privacy' in SL can only be found at ground level below 50M with the above setting enabled, flying overhead and looking down will not show avatars. There is of course no true privacy in SL but if your intention is to not be seen then you need to stay at ground level/under 50M.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

Assuming that you rent your 'home' so...

1. Check the land to see if it's set so that people can't see avatars that are in the parcel. You can do that by clicking the World option at the top of your browser. Then clicking the OPTIONS tab in the floating box. If the 'Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel' option is unchecked, then your skybox is safe from prying eyes that are outside the parcel. If it's checked, then ask the landowner to check it. That deals with avatars that are outside the parcel, but not avatars that are on the parcel.

2. To deal with avatars that come onto the parcel where your skybox is, you will need a security device. Such devices won't prevent avatars from coming onto the parcel, in or near your skybox, but they will remove them in a few seconds. The device that removes avatars needs to be owned by the landowner - group or person. That's not a problem. Some devices use a copyable relay for that purpose so that the device itself remains the property of the one who bought it. If the land is owned by a group, then you would need to have the group permission to deed objects to the group. You can check with the landowner about that.

I am in the security device business so, if you need any help or information, please feel free to ask me, privately if you prefer but preferably here for the benefit of other people.

Incidentally, forget about yellow lines. They are only effective up to a certain height, which won't cover your skybox.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

The absolute best 'privacy' in SL can only be found at ground level below 50M with the above setting enabled, flying overhead and looking down will not show avatars. There is of course no true privacy in SL but if your intention is to not be seen then you need to stay at ground level/under 50M.

Absolutely best privacy in SL are full homesteads/private regions with locked down access lists. Only thing others can see "from the outside" are green dots on the world map, which doesn't say anything really. It's one pricy solution, however.

But for the more afforable solution, yeah, a non skybox/skydome, but a full parcel (even if small) on any private island with instant eject security orb will do the trick more or less.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 3

The "parcel privacy" option, disabling "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel', is inherently limited on stacked skybox rentals because at least every tenant and their guests must be able to access the parcel, and then they can cam around any other skybox on that parcel. In practice, most skyboxes are empty most of the time, so it's rarely a real problem, but "real" is overrated when it comes to SL "privacy" expectations.

Can't guess whether any of this is useful for the OP, though.

• Like 1

It sounds like you do not want people to be able to see you if they move their camera into your house or skybox.

Second, you do not want people to enter your house or skybox.

These are 2 separate security things.

You have not come back to tell us what your rental spot is like, so it's hard to answer your question.  Do you have a skybox with other skyboxes above and below you or are you renting your own parcel?

A security orb will prevent anyone from entering your skybox, but will not prevent them from moving their camera in to watch you change clothes.

In order to not be cammed, you or your landlord will need to change the parcel settings to not allow people outside the parcel to see you (unless they are on the parcel themselves.)

The best you can do is use the combination of parcel settings and security orbs.

What does your rental look like?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

That leaves your main account totally innocent and chaste.

There are innocent and chaste people in SL? Where?! 🤪

Even some of the forum regulars I've recently learned have had more, ahem, experiences in SL than they let on or admit to ;)

Ah, the heady days of youth and all that.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

There are innocent and chaste people in SL? Where?! 🤪

Even some of the forum regulars I've recently learned have had more, ahem, experiences in SL than they let on or admit to ;)

Ah, the heady days of youth and all that.

Here.

Wasn't me.

Youth is wasted on the young.

😋

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.