Real Life v Second Life, Skills brought into and skills taken out of

Marigold Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly, I can't think of too much cross over..

I haven't really taken much out and can't think of much I brought in other than money..lol

I mean there is basic avatar stuff and style and vanity things like that, but really as far as skills go, I can't remember too much cross over from either..

At the same time it's been a lot of years and I may just not be remembering something either.. hehehe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Do you have any examples? :)

I wanted to sell land in SL once, but it wasn't selling. I did a spell in SL with a green candle, a "money magnet" (which makes dollar sign particles come toward an avatar or object), and a recited money spell I wrote. The next day the land sold, so I was able to buy a different parcel that I wanted.

p.s.

Also, I once found myself doing a turn animation that my alt Alycia uses in RL. 😆 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 5

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

I wanted to sell land in SL once, but it wasn't selling. I did a spell in SL with a green candle, a "money magnet" (which makes dollar sign particles come toward an avatar or object), and a recited money spell I wrote. The next day the land sold, so I was able to buy a different parcel that I wanted.

I'm a fan of cosmic ordering. I think your green candle certainly helped with this. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

She be a WITCH! Her hair PROES it!

Send for the Witchsmeller Pursuivant!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

p.s.

Also, I once found myself doing a turn animation that my alt Alycia uses in RL. 😆 

This proves we are already in the Matrix.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

RL to SL: Halloween - I have always been a big Halloween fan and pretty much all of that expression has been transferred to Second Life… BOO!

SL to RL: Sailboats - I learned how to sail and race sailboats in Second Life… then started pursuing that interest in real life on other peoples boats… AHOY!

• Like 6

In RL, I had quite a bit of experience leading Virtual Teams (before COVID) - so that translated well to Club Work in SL and the associated administration. Ditto for dealing w “people” issues. Without being critical or judgy, SL has many folks who are in “Manager” roles in world who have never attempted this in RL, so it was a good opportunity to develop other people WITHIN Second Life.

So far as things I took OUT of SL, I have been here since 2005 and the whole list would be long.

I am chronologically of a generation where “not all of us” picked up a depth of computer skills starting in childhood; so there was immediate “room to grow”

The high points:

Learning to DJ, I picked up SAM broadcaster, audio editing, learned the fine points of finessing network connections and got a lot of training on the finer points of how to run a playlist abd handle audience engagement. I have since used all that stuff designing multimedia training in my RL Job.

Learning to help manage a large Roleplay Sim, I picked up a LOT of 3D graphical design and “development of social systems that incorporate contemporary-generation human volunteers” (learning to work across generational cohorts). That has also been transferable to my RL role as trainer and “people developer”

During this, I made the leap to MacOS so that the “love of my virtual life” and I could be on compatible systems, and THAT has been a SL-driven situation that has benefitted both SL and RL (Logic Pro X kicks butt for audio creation).

So SL has has beneficial effects on RL for me that *almost* offset the sleep-deprivation all those hours in SL cause.

But…those hours were spent w my SL Partner, which makes them invaluable.  We have been together since 2005….

image.gif

Edited by Amanda Crisp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

In RL, I had quite a bit of experience leading Virtual Teams (before COVID) - so that translated well to Club Work in SL and the associated administration. Ditto for dealing w “people” issues. Without being critical or judgy, SL has many folks who are in “Manager” roles in world who have never attempted this in RL, so it was a good opportunity to develop other people WITHIN Second Life.

So far as things I took OUT of SL, I have been here since 2005 and the whole list would be long.

I am chronologically of a generation where “not all of us” picked up a depth of computer skills starting in childhood; so there was immediate “room to grow”

The high points:

Learning to DJ, I picked up SAM broadcaster, audio editing, learned the fine points of finessing network connections and got a lot of training on the finer points of how to run a playlist abd handle audience engagement. I have since used all that stuff designing multimedia training in my RL Job.

Learning to help manage a large Roleplay Sim, I picked up a LOT of 3D graphical design and “development of social systems that incorporate contemporary-generation human volunteers” (learning to work across generational cohorts). That has also been transferable to my RL role as trainer and “people developer”

During this, I made the leap to MacOS so that the “love of my virtual life” and I could be on compatible systems, and THAT has been a SL-driven situation that has benefitted both SL and RL (Logic Pro X kicks butt for audio creation).

So SL has has beneficial effects on RL for me that *almost* offset the sleep-deprivation all those hours in SL cause.

But…those hours were spent w my SL Partner, which makes them invaluable.  We have been together since 2005….

image.gif

That all sounds very impressive to me, not least being together with your SL partner for all of that time. You've found a lot of benefits being in Second Life, and have put a lot back into it too, which I think was what the creator was hoping for. 

Sleep deprivation caused by SL sounds familiar - happy memories of me staying online for 14 hours and sometimes an overnight. Don't know how I ever did that now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

That all sounds very impressive to me, not least being together with your SL partner for all of that time. You've found a lot of benefits being in Second Life, and have put a lot back into it too, which I think was what the creator was hoping for. 

Sleep deprivation caused by SL sounds familiar - happy memories of me staying online for 14 hours and sometimes an overnight. Don't know how I ever did that now.

TY so much!!

Second Life has been a great opportunity for me, even after I experienced a RL health challenge - especially then. While I was healing up, SL was my connection to “People” and that helped me *want* to get back as much as I could.

SL romances get poo-pooed by many, but after being with my Partner for a “few” years here; I suspect it might be the Real Thing 😉

Edited by Amanda Crisp
Spelling
  • Like 3

Except for my personality,  I do not bring any real life skills into SL - that's basically animals, sports, theater.  I refuse to have even 1 breedable or pet. I don't want anything I have to take care of -like remembering to feed it or treat it.  SL is my escape from those real-life responsibilities. Sports and theater are not fun for me virtually, so, nope.

I have taken some tech knowledge out of SL, though.  I knew nothing about computers, graphics cards, or fps before logging in.  I have also increased my knowledge of different kinds of people and cultures.

• Like 4

I've done many things in RL, developed (and forgotten) many skills and enjoyed almost everything, including retirement. Among the common threads I've dragged through my life, two that stand out are a love for language and a passion for solving puzzles. I have semi-fluency in a couple of languages other than English, I read voraciously and I have done quite a lot of writing. Puzzle solving meant that I fell easily into writing computer code, starting in Fortran II and machine code for now-extinct machines. It's also meant solving and creating a ton of crosswords. None of my paying jobs in RL were ever centered on either of those threads, but they have been important and I have brought them into SL.

In SL, I've been scripting in LSL since 2007 even as the goalposts have kept shifting. I learn something new every day and there is never a shortage of puzzles. I've also made friends with people all over the world (rarely using the languages I know, but they are handy anyway) and I have spent a lot of time answering questions and helping other people figure out how SL works (or why it doesn't). All of that means a fiddly attention to saying what I mean. It's also taught me a lot about being patient and tolerant, which were rarely among my RL talents before I started here. On balance, I don't know whether I've brought more into SL or taken more new skills out. I've been here long enough that the two worlds have a sort of blurry interface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
On 9/7/2023 at 10:22 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Skill brought out: Social skills

Me too. We're clearly good at this. Obviously. Right?

Yes. While not obvious to some, our popularity means we are good at this.

Second Life: You're doing it right!

("Your bigger haters are also fans!")

• Like 3

I read tarot in rl, I also do in SL. (not for profit) I been working with computers since high school. But I was into web design and java (script) SL, I tried to learn scripting and I get "some" but it makes my head hurt mostly. I sew rl  and make jewelry. And I like to do that in SL to. I live in a coastal area (sometimes wen I am not traveling) and oddly enough, I always had a coastal region, or some sort of riverish theme housing. I am a cosmetologist by license but in SL.. I cant make a hair to save my life!

When I was a girl and probably well past time when I should actually be, I could be found designing fashions for my barbies and cutting their hair. So, yeah in SL I am a lot like rl me. (except I cant make hair in sl) yet

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
my social skills still suck
  • Like 3

My life in SL is very different from my life in RL. SL is perhaps how I would live in RL if I was very, very wealthy. A big house by a lake. Boats and horses. No need to work.  My avatar looks nothing like the way I look in RL but everything else about me is just the same. I bring my own personality, my own beliefs and opinions, my own self. You talk to me (or any of my alts) in SL, you're talking to the RL me.

Skills brought out:

No real skills, but I've brought out some knowledge. For instance, sailing. Doing that in SL has taught me a lot about RL sailing but I still have near-zero experience in it, aside from one trial lesson I took years ago and abandoned the idea as far too expensive.

The ability to dress my meat-avatar in a timeless, classic fashion without looking like a total slob.

Skills brought in:

Artistic skill. I've been artistically-inclined since childhood and that's been incredibly useful in SL in many ways, from making custom textures to decorating a house.

Social skills: I've never had difficulty with this in RL, and it was most helpful when I was running my club and hosting. I also apparently have a knack for remembering, just from the name, whether I've met someone before.  So I would always know instinctively know whether to say "Welcome to Club Noir" or "Welcome back". This skill doesn't work well in RL because no-one walks round with a giant name-tag hovering over their head.

Other things brought in: Money. Lots and lots of money. 🤣

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

TY so much!!

Second Life has been a great opportunity for me, even after I experienced a RL health challenge - especially then. While I was healing up, SL was my connection to “People” and that helped me *want* to get back as much as I could.

SL romances get poo-pooed by many, but after being with my Partner for a “few” years here; I suspect it might be the Real Thing 😉

May your health and life with your partner continue to go from strength to strength. 

14 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Except for my personality,  I do not bring any real life skills into SL - that's basically animals, sports, theater.  I refuse to have even 1 breedable or pet. I don't want anything I have to take care of -like remembering to feed it or treat it.  SL is my escape from those real-life responsibilities. Sports and theater are not fun for me virtually, so, nope.

I have taken some tech knowledge out of SL, though.  I knew nothing about computers, graphics cards, or fps before logging in.  I have also increased my knowledge of different kinds of people and cultures.

So glad not to be the only one who didn't know anything about computers, etc., before becoming joining Second Life. Whenever I've been between jobs, I've always gone back into further education, only passed a basic CLAIT (computer literacy and information technology) exam in 1998, and that led me into a job with a High Street bank as a counter assistant. Of course the computers we had to use had limited functions, and a couple of the women there were even more terrified than me of pressing the wrong button (blue screen of death would put us all into a panic).

In Second Life, experimenting with lighting settings was a lot of fun, interesting and absorbing. Learning about how and why something does this or that when you press a particular button became more and more interesting, and enjoying the creativity of others too. I am astounded at the imagination of others within our virtual world. 

And, like you, I have some more knowledge about other countries and cultures because of the wonderful people I have met, that I certainly would not have otherwise.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I've done many things in RL, developed (and forgotten) many skills and enjoyed almost everything, including retirement. Among the common threads I've dragged through my life, two that stand out are a love for language and a passion for solving puzzles. I have semi-fluency in a couple of languages other than English, I read voraciously and I have done quite a lot of writing. Puzzle solving meant that I fell easily into writing computer code, starting in Fortran II and machine code for now-extinct machines. It's also meant solving and creating a ton of crosswords. None of my paying jobs in RL were ever centered on either of those threads, but they have been important and I have brought them into SL.

In SL, I've been scripting in LSL since 2007 even as the goalposts have kept shifting. I learn something new every day and there is never a shortage of puzzles. I've also made friends with people all over the world (rarely using the languages I know, but they are handy anyway) and I have spent a lot of time answering questions and helping other people figure out how SL works (or why it doesn't). All of that means a fiddly attention to saying what I mean. It's also taught me a lot about being patient and tolerant, which were rarely among my RL talents before I started here. On balance, I don't know whether I've brought more into SL or taken more new skills out. I've been here long enough that the two worlds have a sort of blurry interface.

You have shown infinite patience for an inordinate number of years, Rolig, and I will always be in awe of what you have achieved in Second Life, while never ceasing to help others. To me you are a legend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

I read tarot in rl, I also do in SL. (not for profit) I been working with computers since high school. But I was into web design and java (script) SL, I tried to learn scripting and I get "some" but it makes my head hurt mostly. I sew rl  and make jewelry. And I like to do that in SL to. I live in a coastal area (sometimes wen I am not traveling) and oddly enough, I always had a coastal region, or some sort of riverish theme housing. I am a cosmetologist by license but in SL.. I cant make a hair to save my life!

When I was a girl and probably well past time when I should actually be, I could be found designing fashions for my barbies and cutting their hair. So, yeah in SL I am a lot like rl me. (except I cant make hair in sl) yet

What I found with anything related to computers was that a lot of things just didn't seem logical, and in Second Life at first I would feel like banging my head against a brick wall, and then at some point, while I was away from the computer, something in my brain would just click, and I found I'd learned a little bit more.

Scripting I have never got to grips with, so well done on getting some of that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

My life in SL is very different from my life in RL. SL is perhaps how I would live in RL if I was very, very wealthy. A big house by a lake. Boats and horses. No need to work.  My avatar looks nothing like the way I look in RL but everything else about me is just the same. I bring my own personality, my own beliefs and opinions, my own self. You talk to me (or any of my alts) in SL, you're talking to the RL me.

Skills brought out:

No real skills, but I've brought out some knowledge. For instance, sailing. Doing that in SL has taught me a lot about RL sailing but I still have near-zero experience in it, aside from one trial lesson I took years ago and abandoned the idea as far too expensive.

The ability to dress my meat-avatar in a timeless, classic fashion without looking like a total slob.

Skills brought in:

Artistic skill. I've been artistically-inclined since childhood and that's been incredibly useful in SL in many ways, from making custom textures to decorating a house.

Social skills: I've never had difficulty with this in RL, and it was most helpful when I was running my club and hosting. I also apparently have a knack for remembering, just from the name, whether I've met someone before.  So I would always know instinctively know whether to say "Welcome to Club Noir" or "Welcome back". This skill doesn't work well in RL because no-one walks round with a giant name-tag hovering over their head.

Other things brought in: Money. Lots and lots of money. 🤣

Your post made me smile so much. "Meat avatar" - great phrase is that.

I think what is amazing and impressing me the most about everyone on this thread is that we all entered Second Life in the same way, and our Second Life is just as unique from everyone else's as our real life, even though a lot of us started out as Ruth/Roth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Learning about how and why something does this or that when you press a particular button

Another memory :)

In my early days, I used to rent out skybox homes, and I made the skyboxes myself. They had various features and were menu-driven. One of the features was a low dividing wall, which could be made visible and solid, or invisible/phantom at the touch of menu button.

One day I received an IM from a tenant. He said that he'd fallen all the way to the ground, and he asked me why. I examined my skybox and found that clicking the low wall button also caused the floor to turn phantom. What made me laugh was imagining someone looking at the menu and thinking, "I wonder what this button does" - and instantly finding out lol.

• Haha 2

For me it isn't so much that skills are "brought in" or "taken out" but that they interact.

One good example is when building models. (tl/dr: RL skills make SL stuff not so much easier but simpler) IRL I'm a pretty decent woodworker, a barely competent blacksmith and metalworker. I imagine "a thing" and my head is already thinking about how I'd make the parts IRL and how I'd want to connect them together to make "the thing." The parts I couldn't make IRL, I'm sufficiently aware of other crafts which I don't practice myself that I've usually a fair idea how the pratitioners of those crafts would construct the parts I requested from them. So when I'm faced with a blank workspace in Blender I make the parts that I'd make IRL and I stick 'em together into a single object in the same relationship. To my considerable surprise, I found that while this intial workflow doesn't make optimised models, it does make ones that are more efficient than you'd at first suspect from that construction method. It also has the side effect of guaranteeing little technicalities like "clean edge loops" so that when you do come to optimise and do the "finishing work"  that proces is a lot easier. Similarly it makes the process of constructing decent LOD models incredibly easy and simple. Same for easy texturing. I lay out the initial UV map for wooden parts like I would if I were IRL planning on cutting them from board stock, for example. Apply any "wood" texture to that and all the grains line up right. It's then trivial to create the "SL UV" with everything laid out neatly on a single tecture image and bake down to that.. Similarly for clothing makers (although this is a skill I do not claim, either in SL or RL) I am sure that their UV maps could at least start out looking an awful lot like they would produce if creating a sewing pattern for that same garment IRL.

• Like 4

Honestly what i have learned in SL since returning in 2018 I do enjoy owning land and doing landscaping as well. I play the sims 3 and sims 4 on PC and sims 3 had create a world where it was more with terraforming, oceans, rivers etc. like here on SL when it comes to land. The sims 4 lacks that appeal for open world and terraforming is mostly lot based. I love landscaping and visiting nature sims. 

• Like 1

In the first years of my SL i didnt bring a lot into, other than the interest of being creative, building a lot of stuff with prims.
Later on, SL would push me gently to extend my skills in Photoshop by doing paintjobs for various vehicle classes, and lately also getting myself into blender, finally catching up with the modern times.

My social behavior undoubtably took at hit, tho. Back then there was literally nothing that would set me up. I just would smile and kept heading my way.
These days (the last few years) my fuse got significantly shorter, what i really dislike. So, even if i run out of any inworld projects, i can still work on myself, thats at least something :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.