Rolling Restarts are breaking my furniture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this.  Everytime my sim is restarted some of the animated furniture (mostly beds) stops working.  The menu comes up but the poseballs don't appear.  The only way I can fix them is reset or re rezz them and then they work fine.  I noticed at the last restart that the ones that were broke were the ones with the poseballs out (active).  This has never happened before and its only since the recent restarts the problem has started.

I have raised a case, but I won't be holding my breath as it took 2 weeks for them to even look at the last one.

I'm certainly familiar with some versions of MLPV2 needing restarting or resetting under certain circumstances, and needing the owner to complete the restart process.   I can't give you chapter and verse on the versions or the circumstances, but I know it's driven me and Vesta nuts in our shops in the past, when display models have stopped working after restarts and stuff and needed whichever one of us owns the display model to go and reset it.

If you're using MLPV2, I'd suggest checking what version of the system you're using and and asking in the in-world group if anyone has any ideas -- the fix is probably going to be changing the scripts and ~poseball object in the beds to a different version of the scripts.   Or contact whoever made the beds.

I don't think you'll get very far with a ticket -- the main issue with scripts and Rolling Restarts, https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-1853 (State of not-running scripts is not preserved over a region restart), is marked as "Won't Fix", and I think LL generally take the view that people just have to script round this sort of issue.

You can avoid this problem by never leaving the poseballs out. I only rez the balls when I need them and unrez them right after I'm... erm... done using the furniture, which can be done with the Stop or Hide command in most menus. This also frees up sim resources, seeing that the poseballs contain scripts that don't need to be active when the furniture is not in use.

Thanks for replying Innuta, I will certainly look at the scripts and the poseball object within the furniture and ask the group for any advice.  I don't think I'll get far with the ticket either, but I was so frustrated at wasting another morning checking all the beds!.  Thank again for your reply.

I hope the group can help.   I'm a bit puzzled as to why it should affect only items that have the poseballs rezzed at the time of the restart -- there's nothing in the ~poseball object scripts that should be affected by a sim restart I can see, and even if there were, the worst that would happen is that the poseballs would stop listening to the bed.  

Similarly, while there's plenty that can go wrong in the bed itself when there's a restart,  I can't for the life of me see how the poseballs being rezzed or not would make any difference to it.

I'm wondering, in fact, if it's not just coincience that the ones with poseballs rezzed are the ones that have been affected, and whether they'd have stopped working anyway, rezzed poseballs or not.    

If updating the MLPV2 scripts and ~poseball object doesn't fix the problem, take a look at this jira, too -- this one turned out to be the cause of many of our headaches before Vesta and I got to to bottom of it: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-3145 "Group Role permissions only work for scripted rez when owner online"

• 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.