I think it's funny. I've accused other people of being creepy (particularly in SL)....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Even if they are socially awkward or inept they need to learn how to behave so as not to bother others.   I reserve the right to label them as creepy if they push on my boundaries in unwelcome ways by assuming everyone exists in SL to have sex with them and so approach others to further their mistaken goals.

creep·y
causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease.

I just Creep.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

What an absolutely lovely story.

Best time of my life was working at Butlins. After the times of knobbly knees, but still with Glamorous Grans and Captain Blood, none of which would be PC now. 

Which camp?

I occasionally judged glamorous granny contests, among others. There were some very good looking grannies :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Which camp?

I occasionally judged glamorous granny contests, among others. There were some very good looking grannies :D

Skegness (retail catering), 1986, (shops) 1987.

Bognor for a month, October 1987 (shops)

Minehead 1992, 93, 94 (shops), (go karts) 1995, shops again 1997, finance department 1999, 2000. 

Heck I miss it. Where and when were you there?

Edited by Marigold Devin

I just wanted to say that I have not abandoned this topic yet, and although your viewpoints on "creepiness" are diverse, I'd like to thank you all for your input. I've read mostly everything and while some of your views may resonate with me more than others, I still value everyone's views on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

No, hard disagree. We rely on past experiences and external cues to keep us safe. In the case of finding someone "creepy", it may well be our protective instincts kicking in and telling us that that person is not safe. Women in particular need to listen to this.

Damn straight..We have to have survival on speed dial, like it's second nature or something..

Like the saying goes, Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
5 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

No, hard disagree. We rely on past experiences and external cues to keep us safe. In the case of finding someone "creepy", it may well be our protective instincts kicking in and telling us that that person is not safe. Women in particular need to listen to this.

Damn straight..We have to have survival on speed dial, like it's second nature or something..

Like the saying goes, Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.

You still got your gun?

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There is also a saying that says if one keeps doing what one always did, one will keep getting what one one always got.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There is also a saying that says if one keeps doing what one always did, one will keep getting what one one always got.

Indeed..........SAFE

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

That's good, because I'm pretty happy with what I got.. I'm not worried about that.. I'm worried about the ones that want to take..

I'm not letting anyone take again..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And the best and safest way to handle such a situation is to smile, make a light hearted joke and mention your So is waiting for you. It takes the potential tension out of the situation while at the same time letting them know someone else is close by. It works in both RL and SL. Freaking out only causes aggravation and potentially escalates the situation.

That leaves you as the enlightened one to defuse a situation with the proper response, not an emotional reaction.

Sure focus on the moment but that doesn't have to mean one needs to judge everyone around them. "Oh, there is a low life, creep, loser, misogynist" even before you really know what makes them tick.

Men and women are really not very different at their core. But I guess you don't understand that since you think we are :)

As someone who knew someone IRL who was sexually assaulted after ignoring said signs, I can't disagree more with this, those signs are important! No, most people don't mean harm, but the fact of the matter is, you often can know what someone's true intention is or not, believe me it is far better to be safe then sorry!

As for SL, it's a bit different. You can't be physically harmed in SL, so it's easier to take risks and see someone's true intention. In real life, the consequences are VERY VERY real. I'll give people far more leeway in SL because of this, probably more then I should give sometimes.

Edited by MissSweetViolet
Spelling corrections
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Skegness (retail catering), 1986, (shops) 1987.

Bognor for a month, October 1987 (shops)

Minehead 1992, 93, 94 (shops), (go karts) 1995, shops again 1997, finance department 1999, 2000. 

Heck I miss it. Where and when were you there?

You got around, and for many years, so you must have thoroughly enjoyed the life.

I can't come up with the years but long before you :). It would be in the region of the early 70s.

Minehead twice (one of them a Christmas season)
Ayr twice (the 'lovely girl' was in my second season there)
Bognor once (at the end of my second season at Ayr)

Skegness once
Pwllheli once (at the end of my season in Skegness)

Mostly in the Beachcomber bars.
The only major camp that I didn't do was the nearest one to me - Filey.

I considered doing it again in the 90s but the overall entertainments manager at that time told me that they do it differently. When I played in the camps, we stayed in the bar we were in for the season. In the 90s they didn't do that. Instead they had entertainers going around the camps daily, which wasn't my cup of tea. I did a few years in Portugal instead :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

But I think I've done a similar thing in real life. Back when I was in college I cold-called these women on the phone I didn't really know, just to get to know them. Needless to say, they either didn't answer or were peeved at the call. I also complimented a woman in a job fair about her beauty, and that didn't go well either. I probably did other creepy stuff that I can't remember or realize at the time.

well you are creepy irl imo

imo how people behave in sl is actually how they are, because in sl they feel save and free from social norm.

creepy from.my perception can be because the  person lack social ability cause by some disorder. cam be mental disorder or personality disorder.

mental illness not same with personality disorder.

but also there are creepynes because hmm he just too horny

10 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I just wanted to say that I have not abandoned this topic yet, and although your viewpoints on "creepiness" are diverse, I'd like to thank you all for your input. I've read mostly everything and while some of your views may resonate with me more than others, I still value everyone's views on t

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

So yesterday I leave an alt in my remote log home and go AFK for an hour. I come back and there's this message:

[2023/08/31 16:51]  F*******h V***m: you are absolutely gorgeous

- My parcel has visibility from the outside off, I'm on the third floor attic of my log home (added with a marketplace kit), none of the furniture inside can be sat on unless you're in the group, and the door only works for people on the list which at present is just my main and two alts.

This alt has a blanked profile. But she was nude and has the same body shape as I use on this account which is seen in some forum posts (I was going nuts a few weeks back with my 3 accounts having different furniture positions on all my furniture - so I copied the body dials of one of them to the other three. They now only have different faces, skins, AOs, and of course inventory - and alt #3 has an inventory under 8000 items, 9000 of which are the system library. ;) So she's nude because all I've given her so far is a body/head despite being a 10 year old account).

So you'd have to cam around my plot for a bit after walking in to get a look at her. And yeah - that guy was on my visitor list. He's the only name on there other than myself because the spot is out of the way.

So this hits my definition of creepy.

Going to someone's home lot, camming inside the windows, and then messaging them pickup lines. That's a creep.

The guy has a mostly blank profile but his account is older than mine.

ps: I cam into people's Linden Homes ALL THE TIME to check out their stuff and get ideas. But I don't bug anyone in them and I generally don't cam in when I see green dots.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 3

DJing, I deal with a lot of people. Some are from vastly different cultures, some are new to speaking English, some have personal situations that make them relate “differently”…….all of the above can SEEM creepy w absolutely non-creepy intentions.

Much of western Progressive social doctrine exhorts the value of accepting people to live their truth and of accepting other’s differences.

I *personally* do not enjoy the barrage of pickup lines SL is fraught with, but taking into consideration all the various cultures, languages and backgrounds SL attracts; I have tried to be less quick to label strangers as “creeepy”on short acquaintance.….

I save “creepy” for those who can’t take a diplomatic “NO”….

image.gif

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.