How do I get a virtual job? Where can I get a virtual job?

Bactine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

20 answers to this question

In world you can use the viewer SEARCH feature and go to CLASSIFIED. Choose EMPLOYMENT from the submenu.

Be aware that not all jobs listed are paying jobs and some are actually "scams". So read carefully and do your research. There ARE jobs in SL however. So it is possible.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

advertising in the answers section on a 9 year old topic.... ... reported.

Sorry Alvin, I changed my message was unaware that it looked like advertisement. I am posting a link to a website that lists virtual jobs available in Second Life for sl users and just want to be useful to Second Life users.

The jobs listed on website are free to work at.

Hope that it is ok now. I found this forum topic to be high on google search ranking and I thought if I provide the lists to virtual jobs in Second Life it will help people find virtual jobs in SL. I removed the link to FREE HUD on marketplace that lets people find jobs in SL. Let me know if I need to change anything else.

\O.. O/

*I guess because I am creator in Second Life and if I make any post that is to one of my creations even if its is free HUD for finding jobs in SL it will be automatically considered as advertising?

The topic of this forum post is: How do I get a virtual job? Where can I get a virtual job?

I've provided a web page that lists Second Life jobs where Second Life users can find virtual jobs.

Edited by Wili Clip

1 hour ago, Wili Clip said:

if I make any post that is to one of my creations even if its is free it will be automatically considered as advertising?

yes, and the Answes section isn't to promote Anything but Answers on questions, no jobs or product related topics.

and a nine ( 9) year old topic... come on.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes, and the Answes section isn't to promote Anything but Answers on questions, no jobs or product related topics.

and a nine ( 9) year old topic... come on.

The question was asked by

Asked by breatheinOctober,
June 25, 2011

I can not comment or give my opinion about if the question by the op violates the Answers section. Because I don't know. I thought the fact that it is left to be posted since June 25. 2011 and was never deleted as a violation of Answers TOS that its ok and that it is also ok to still answer it. Or is that forbidden? If it is then I sincerely apologize and the whole Question/Answer topic can be deleted by LL forum moderator because it should have never been left opened in the 1st place.

People find this on google search when they search for a virtual job because topic is on 1st page of google search results. If they visit it and see that last post was answered many years ago it will just enforce the wrongful opinion of general public that Second Life is dead.

Alvin you were right. My 1st post before you corrected me was wrong and I admit it came wrong but ever since I've corrected it. I don't want to be in the wrong so I've corrected my post and have answered the question about where to find virtual jobs. Just like on Quora I felt most compelled and motivated to answer the question because I deal with virtual jobs in SL. I already changed the post that you criticized. My answer now only contains the link to a web list of currently active jobs in Second Life.

I found this topic through google search and I think the question asked by the op is still relevant today and just like I did other people find it through google search when they search with search keywords: how or where to get a virtual job. Do excuse me for confusion.

Edited by Wili Clip

16 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

I can not comment or give my opinion about if the question by the op violates the Answers section. Because I don't know. I thought the fact that it is left to be posted since June 25. 2011 and was never deleted as a violation of Answers TOS that its ok and that it is also ok to still answer it. Or is that forbidden?

From the Community Guidelines:

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

18 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

If it is then I sincerely apologize and the whole Question/Answer topic can be deleted by LL forum moderator

There is no need for a forum moderator to delete it. You've already edited your first post, so you could do that again to remove the links.

19 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

because it should have never be left opened in the 1st place.

That debate has been had multiple times in the forum. However, when you re-opened this nine year-old thread you will have seen a large, bright blue banner at both the top and the bottom of the thread, telling you that you are about to reply to a topic that has been inactive for (in this case) 2381 days, and asks you if you really need to re-open it.

21 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

I thought the fact that it is left to be posted since June 25. 2011 and was never deleted as a violation of Answers TOS

The question itself was indeed in the wrong place, and the first response to it (which is all that remains because the forums have changed software a couple of times since) pointed to the correct place for the question to be asked: the Inworld Employment sub-forum. Presumably the reason why the post was left to stand is because the correct answer was given, redirecting anyone who searched for the question (as you did) to the forum where they are supposed to find employment, as well as advertise employment.

3 hours ago, Wili Clip said:

I've provided a web page that lists Second Life jobs where Second Life users can find jobs.

<redacted link>

Yes, indeed you did. You promoted your own website.

2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

That debate has been had multiple times in the forum. However, when you re-opened this nine year-old thread you will have seen a large, bright blue banner at both the top and the bottom of the thread, telling you that you are about to reply to a topic that has been inactive for (in this case) 2381 days, and asks you if you really need to re-open it.

I didn't see a large, bright blue banner at both the top and the bottom of the thread, telling me that I am about to reply to a topic that has been inactive for (in this case) 2381 days.

Like I said I found this post only because I searched the virtual jobs search keyword in google search - direct link from google results. I did not access this topic through the SL forum. Was unaware (largely because I was not paying attention) that I was re-opening the old topic and became aware of that only until after I received 1st reply. 

I really did not get any warning about re-opening an old topic I do apologize and rather then editing / removing my replies in this topic I hope moderation team will delete the whole topic whatsoever because it is listed very high on google search and in a big picture and interest of Linden Lab company and Second Life on overall  it is just doing damage for being listed in Google search and inactive.

As I wrote before:
People find this on google search when they search for a virtual job because topic is on 1st page of google search results. If they visit it and see that last post was answered many years ago it will just enforces the wrongful and damaging opinion of general public that Second Life is dead.

3 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

I hope moderation team will delete the whole topic whatsoever because it is listed very high on google search and in a big picture and interest of Linden Lab company and Second Life on overall  it is just doing damage for being listed in Google search and inactive.

Then simply report the entire post and let the moderation team decide. They can't possibly watch every single topic in this vast forum, so unless something really 'catches fire' in the main forum sub-sections, it's likely to go unnoticed unless its reported by someone.

12 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:
4 hours ago, Wili Clip said:

I've provided a web page that lists Second Life jobs where Second Life users can find jobs.

<redacted link>

Yes, indeed you did. You promoted your own website.

The website is a list with SLURL's / teleport links to where people in Second Life can find virtual jobs. Direct answer with a resource to the question of the person who asked the question. 

And since I notice that the linked Employment forum in the original answer was one from a previous forum iteration, for reference of anyone else who may land on this thread after a Google search, I submit the following:

If you are seeking or offering employment within Second Life, go to the Inworld Employment sub-forum here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:
7 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

I hope moderation team will delete the whole topic whatsoever because it is listed very high on google search and in a big picture and interest of Linden Lab company and Second Life on overall  it is just doing damage for being listed in Google search and inactive.

Then simply report the entire post and let the moderation team decide. They can't possibly watch every single topic in this vast forum, so unless something really 'catches fire' in the main forum sub-sections, it's likely to go unnoticed unless its reported by someone.

As I've been informed this post has already been reported by Alwin Alcott and I think its also as you expressed yourself it is catching fire in the forum so they will look into and delete the whole post.

2 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

The website is a list with SLURL's / teleport links to where people in Second Life can find virtual jobs. Direct answer with a resource to the question of the person who asked the question. 

Allow me to repeat myself, since this doesn't seem to be getting through.

From the Community Guidelines:

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

Just now, Wili Clip said:

As I've been informed this post has already been reported by Alwin Alcott and I think its also as you expressed yourself it is catching fire in the forum so they will look into and delete the whole post.

Catching fire? No, that's for threads that hit hundreds of posts in the space of a few hours. If you want to hit that level of blaze, you'll be doing so on your own. You're clearly ignoring what is being said here, and I have better things to do than aim my keyboard at a brick wall.

Just now, Skell Dagger said:
3 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

Catching fire? No, that's for threads that hit hundreds of posts in the space of a few hours. If you want to hit that level of blaze, you'll be doing so on your own. You're clearly ignoring what is being said here, and I have better things to do than aim my keyboard at a brick wall.

Me to Skell I don't want to argue with you. Its really something that is at sole discretion of LL forum moderator to judge if it is or it isn't violation of their rules.

No offense. I wish you a good day.

I hesitate to take a stab at clearing the air, but ... oh what the heck ...

We have this discussion about how to deal with old threads a lot, and there's never a satisfying resolution.  There are also no rules, other than the Community Guidelines and courtesy.  The last time the topic came up was just last Monday.  Here's what I said at the time:

....  old threads often have old information (outdated, no longer relevant, ... ).  Adding a new note to an old thread can end up confusing people who find it later and don't know which parts of the thread to take seriously.  In any case, it's not a venial sin but Rowan's right; it's almost always a good idea to start a new thread if you have a new question. .... 

On 2/1/2021 at 5:25 PM, JordonBanks said:

But perhaps it would be best all round if the owners of the second life forum just closed old threads then, if it's such an issue to add to them. 🙂

Heh.  Every once in a while someone suggests that, but the downside is that many old threads contain perfectly good information.  Even the ones that have aged poorly provide an archival view of where we have been.  Linden Lab seems to feel the same way, since they only seem to close threads when participants have violated the Community Guidelines.   It's hard to win, regardless of which side of the issue you are on, but you did ask.  My own personal rules are:

1. Stay on topic and don't add to threads that have been dormant for a year or more, and

2. Don't believe everything that you read in a thread that is more than a year old.

Those rules have served me well for 14 years, but they are just my own guidelines.  I like to avoid getting confused or confusing other people.  Your mileage may vary. ;) 

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I hesitate to take a stab at clearing the air, but ... oh what the heck ...

We have this discussion about how to deal with old threads a lot, and there's never a satisfying resolution.  There are also no rules, other than the Community Guidelines and courtesy.  The last time the topic came up was just last Monday.  Here's what I said at the time:

....  old threads often have old information (outdated, no longer relevant, ... ).  Adding a new note to an old thread can end up confusing people who find it later and don't know which parts of the thread to take seriously.  In any case, it's not a venial sin but Rowan's right; it's almost always a good idea to start a new thread if you have a new question. .... 

On 2/1/2021 at 5:25 PM, JordonBanks said:

But perhaps it would be best all round if the owners of the second life forum just closed old threads then, if it's such an issue to add to them. 🙂

Heh.  Every once in a while someone suggests that, but the downside is that many old threads contain perfectly good information.  Even the ones that have aged poorly provide an archival view of where we have been.  Linden Lab seems to feel the same way, since they only seem to close threads when participants have violated the Community Guidelines.   It's hard to win, regardless of which side of the issue you are on, but you did ask.  My own personal rules are:

1. Stay on topic and don't add to threads that have been dormant for a year or more, and

2. Don't believe everything that you read in a thread that is more than a year old.

Those rules have served me well for 14 years, but they are just my own guidelines.  I like to avoid getting confused or confusing other people.  Your mileage may vary. ;) 

I don't want to get involved in this thread or discussion really, as I have no idea what is right / wrong / allowed / not allowed.  But as a previous addition that I made to an old thread has been referenced in this thread, I would just like to clarify that I wasn't asking a NEW question. If i was, then of course I would have started a new post)  I was actually in my opinion, adding a valid comment/viewpoint to an older thread.  I felt the fact that it was an older thread, made no difference to what i felt was a valid point I was adding to that thread.  Especially as that thread came up high in a search on that particular topic.  

(I also agree with the person above, that its not very easy to see the banner that says you are adding to an older thread - and very easy to miss.  Therefore I stick to my original point, and that is if Second Life does not want to allow further additions to be made to older posts, then surely they should/can easily restrict them to being just archive posts only).  That way, the older info would be available - but they couldn't be added to and thus resurface to the top - which is what seems to be annoying/frustrating some people? - then that would be a 'win win' for everyone, and easy solution to the issue I would have thought)

Edited by JordonBanks
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.