Object inventory question

Fillo Farber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I'm working on a script that rezzes various objects relative to the rezzer pos and rot. Since there would be lots of different items to rez I didn't want to put all those vectors and rotations in my rezzer script. I wrote a couple snippets of code that calculate the rotations and positions to rez at then writes them in the description of the object to be rezzed. The problem is I can't find any way to read an inventory object's description with my rezzer script. Is there a way? If not, any suggestions other then use of notecards or llSetPos/Rot?

Also, question regarding llGetInventoryKey: If I understand, this gives you the key of the asset that the inventory item points to which doesn't seem to offer any details about the object itself. What is this used for?

you can't get that for inventory, but once rezzed you can... you'll either need a script in it to read it or at least take movement directions from the rezzor... this is how all the boxrezzor scripts work, including the free builders buddy on the wiki

ETA:
inventory key can be used to check update to scripts and notecards, which change when saved, and textures which can be addressed by key in other prims.

I guess my only option on this path is to append the info to the object name. I did get my base 64 compression working with 4 chars up to 10.00000 flawlessly btw. For some reason the lsl base 64 functions wouldn't give me nearly that kind of resolution - I had to make my own. The 4 chars don't include a sign so I'll have to add a 5th. Anyway, if I keep my object names short enough I can append a 35 char base 64 to them. A small revision to my compression script should make this possible.

I can always fall back on llSetPos/Rot if I have to - I just don't like the delays for my purpose and I'll have to make the items invisible until positioned so you don't see that jerky movement. Thanks for the info on inventory key, the WIKI was very vague on that one. Much appreciated as always Void :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.