New Genus heads are out - what do you think?

Stephanie Misfit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I got the Izzie's applier you linked and tried it. Same problem here, the eyeshadow works but the lips don't.

Then it's not just me. I will see if I have time to write a notecard. But I am so busy now, and I hate to write notecards.

I bet I'm not the only one looking for Genus gifts and cheap stuff. So she will surely hear about it. It was very considerate of her to include BOM layers packed in a box in the folder. Izzie's is good quality.

But appliers has one benefit over tattoos, we can lower the opacity and make the lipstick sheer like lipgloss. So it would be cool to have a working applier.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

But appliers has one benefit over tattoos, we can lower the opacity and make the lipstick sheer like lipgloss. So it would be cool to have a working applier.

I so wish there was a way of reducing a BOM layers opacity, it really limits the usefulness of BOM makeup.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 2:03 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm gonna guess the reason they didn't change the name of the heads, is because they are the same heads, just updated.. No different than when they were updated to BOM really..

Not much has changed in the mesh on the heads  other than the neck line being tweaked to fit better..

My old skins look about the same as they did on my older heads..

I'm guessing they didn't want the heads limited to just the 4k and more opened up to a wider market..

The newer heads still work with applier skins  and makeup made for genus heads.. I can still use mine that I have..

I don't know about omgea stuff that  some sellers may be saying works with Genus.. I doubt that will work on the heads, but I haven't looked into that to be certain..  I didn't read anything  on them about being able to use omega.. It's pretty much outdated  itself since BOM came on the scene..

I agree with you, but I still remember the trouble I had, when Lel EvoX came out. A lot of people who bought their first Lel mesh head as EvoX didnt knew about the differences between the new HD version and the previous non-HD version and about the HUD settings for changing between HD and non-HD … and wondered why older Head tattoos, skins etc. for Lel did not match with their actual head, even Lelutka changed the product name. I could imagine that with exactly the same product name for older GENUS and the new HD GENUS versions there will be much more confusion and a lot of bad reviews for merchants on MP who are still selling their non-HD Skins for GENUS ….. Well, lets wait and see ….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CherryChantal said:

I agree with you, but I still remember the trouble I had, when Lel EvoX came out. A lot of people who bought their first Lel mesh head as EvoX didnt knew about the differences between the new HD version and the previous non-HD version and about the HUD settings for changing between HD and non-HD … and wondered why older Head tattoos, skins etc. for Lel did not match with their actual head, even Lelutka changed the product name. I could imagine that with exactly the same product name for older GENUS and the new HD GENUS versions there will be much more confusion and a lot of bad reviews for merchants on MP who are still selling their non-HD Skins for GENUS ….. Well, lets wait and see ….

With Lelutka you had 3 different lines of heads at one point.. You had the older heads, then the Evolution line that came out.. Then you had the Evolution X line that came out, which the Evolution line was updated to Evolution X shortly after the first three heads of Evolution X came out..

It's been awhile since The Evolution X line came out, But I can't remember if being able to go Evo or Evo X was added later or if it came with the Evo X line.. I know the 2.5 Evo line heads when they were updated could go either way..

The older first line of heads never were updated to Evolution or Evolution X..

I agree Genus probably should have some sort of mention about the 4k in the name.. The reason could be that they really only ever had the one line of heads and just keep updating those..

After as long as it's been waiting for this update, it really wasn't much of an update to the heads.. I was expecting  more after almost 4 years in the wait..

In all Honestly, I really don't think they will have the problems that Lelutka had with their evo and evo x, because of Genus being out of the race for so long.. Maybe if they would have introduced a 4k skin around the time Evo X came around there could have been a good fight over the whole, which head map will win..

But I think trying to introduce something new right now when Evo X maps are saturating so much of the market.. It almost feels like shooting themselves in the foot if they don't have Evo X on their heads nowadays..

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

snip ------------------------------ Maybe if they would have introduced a 4k skin around the time Evo X came around there could have been a good fight over the whole, which head map will win..

But I think trying to introduce something new right now when Evo X maps are saturating so much of the market.. It almost feels like shooting themselves in the foot if they don't have Evo X on their heads nowadays..

I think Evo X map could have won that battle, even if 4K came out the same time. I admit I am not a creator, but that cross pattern and line down the face that 4K has, looks like a bad idea. Where Evo X has a much more clean look and appear to be easier to work with.

If 4K came out when Genus was hot and popular, creators would have been forced to adapt to the UV, or else people would go and buy 4K skins elsewhere. I think it would be something like 50/50 or 60/40 between the UV's.

As it is now, I don't think 4K will be a dangerous rival for Evo X. How popular they will be... it will be made some, but how much? 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

In all Honestly, I really don't think they will have the problems that Lelutka had with their evo and evo x, because of Genus being out of the race for so long.. Maybe if they would have introduced a 4k skin around the time Evo X came around there could have been a good fight over the whole, which head map will win..

Right, I would never go back to GENUS as I am fully satisfied with my LeL head and i guess a lot of people think the same way. But for new users, GENUS might have a chance to get back in business, if they offer the updated Strong Head freebie permanently to  attract new SL users. Not tried yet to combine the Senra Jamie body with strong head but it should be a good match. Starting with Strong Head those people might stick to GENUS and probably buying other GENUS heads in future …

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I think Evo X map could have won that battle, even if 4K came out the same time. I admit I am not a creator, but that cross pattern and line down the face that 4K has, looks like a bad idea. Where Evo X has a much more clean look and appear to be easier to work with.

If 4K came out when Genus was hot and popular, creators would have been forced to adapt to the UV, or else people would go and buy 4K skins elsewhere. I think it would be something like 50/50 or 60/40 between the UV's.

As it is now, I don't think 4K will be a dangerous rival for Evo X. How popular they will be... it will be made some, but how much? 

Ya, I agree that the Evo X maps would probably still have taken off like they did.. But I think that was the window of opportunity to introduce something.. That was a shift in the market moment..

When Lelutka introduced the Evo X line and the shift, The other two main competitors sat out pretty much this whole time and did really nothing since then.. I hadn't heard anything out of catwa until the last skin fair and now Genus with their update and neither moving to Evo x..

Lelutka just hit the ground running with the Evo X line and never looked back.. hehehe

Honestly, With LOGO going Evo X, I think we might start to see a lot more of them soon..

Myself, I'm excited about LOGO and their changes probably more than any other heads at the moment..

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CherryChantal said:

Right, I would never go back to GENUS as I am fully satisfied with my LeL head and i guess a lot of people think the same way. But for new users, GENUS might have a chance to get back in business, if they offer the updated Strong Head freebie permanently to  attract new SL users. Not tried yet to combine the Senra Jamie body with strong head but it should be a good match. Starting with Strong Head those people might stick to GENUS and probably buying other GENUS heads in future …

Ya, The Updated strong should have no problems fitting on the senra's, especially with the neck being updated to the standard neck much better than before..

The Strong gift head is probably the big reason the store was getting the attention it did all these years.. I can't count the amount of times I recommended that head to new users myself.. hehehe

I think if there was no strong gift head, the store would have probably closed up already..

I think right now besides the strong head, their new mens heads are probably being checked out and getting some draw.. I think every time that group pops up and I'm in there, there is always someone asking if there is a head for men.. That will probably be their bigger sales right now I would think..

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CherryChantal said:

Starting with Strong Head those people might stick to GENUS and probably buying other GENUS heads in future …

Unlikely. I still see some new people (thankfully not too many) start with Catwa heads, probably because it's what they find on the MP given they are sold there, and Lelutka's are not. Most swap to something better (i.e. Lelutka) rather quickly if they stick around for more than a few months.

"4k" (which it isn't, of course) or not, but that freebie head is not going to change anything, the older freebie version was exactly the same. A budget option for those who can't really buy anything better or making their 20th alt for no reason, a temporary option until Lelutka has a sale for those who want to save a bit, and so on.

If anything the messy HUD, lack of support and (subjectively) quite bad look will push new users to the better options.

So far according to the stats list their most popular not free head (Babyface 001) went from negative trend of -300 within last 180 days to -240, and 50 of those were within first two days of an update. And  is around 350-ish spot in most seen attachments by bonniebots today/yesterday. So as expected people played with it for a few minutes/hours and put back to the shelf. If they really wanted to/want to make a comeback they need to make a new line from the scratch instead of just a very long overdue facelift for those old ones.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

Unlikely. I still see some new people (thankfully not too many) start with Catwa heads, probably because it's what they find on the MP given they are sold there, and Lelutka's are not. Most swap to something better (i.e. Lelutka) rather quickly if they stick around for more than a few months.

"4k" (which it isn't, of course) or not, but that freebie head is not going to change anything, the older freebie version was exactly the same. A budget option for those who can't really buy anything better or making their 20th alt for no reason, a temporary option until Lelutka has a sale for those who want to save a bit, and so on.

If anything the messy HUD, lack of support and (subjectively) quite bad look will push new users to the better options.

So far according to the stats list their most popular not free head (Babyface 001) went from negative trend of -300 within last 180 days to -240, and 50 of those were within first two days of an update. And  is around 350-ish spot in most seen attachments by bonniebots today/yesterday. So as expected people played with it for a few minutes/hours and put back to the shelf. If they really wanted to/want to make a comeback they need to make a new line from the scratch instead of just a very long overdue facelift for those old ones.

I really have to wonder why Lelutka aren't on the MP. I know it's extra work but Lelutka is a big operation, the extra work shouldn't be an issue and it's mostly one-off.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I really have to wonder why Lelutka aren't on the MP. I know it's extra work but Lelutka is a big operation, the extra work shouldn't be an issue and it's mostly one-off.

Honestly, I don't think they feel they need to be.. You end up paying more fee's with an MP store than a popular in world store..

I think they are in a place where they don't need the market place really..

• Like 4

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, I don't think they feel they need to be.. You end up paying more fee's with an MP store than a popular in world store..

Yeah, fees are probably it. They're too damn high!

I do like buying stuff on MP though, makes keeping track of purchases and redeliveries so much simpler.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yes, it is 10% now in fees? That is too much, when they are so popular and don't need the Marketplace. When they have a giveaway, they rent other locations. So people get the freebie, maybe not on the first day, but on the second or third day.

16 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I do like buying stuff on MP though, makes keeping track of purchases and redeliveries so much simpler.

I like the redeliver option on MP too... I think the Lelutka hud has a button for redelivery? Or am I wrong?

----------------------------

New people can get a lot of Genus stuff made with SL UV, and that is more than good enough. And the Genus Strong is many times better than Jamie, IMHO.

I went back to Strong on only one alt, and that is because I have a skin made for Genus that I will use. That alt has so little EvoX, so it is easy to change. She is too new for the first freebie Lelutka, it would have suited her better than later gifts.

genus hud_002.png

Edited by Marianne Little
added a picture
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Fees aside it's just something they've decided on. Back into Origins heads days MP fees weren't as big as they are now, and they still never sold their heads there. I'm almost sure even pre-bento heads from even older times also weren't there.

53 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I think the Lelutka hud has a button for redelivery? Or am I wrong?

They have an extra HUD with each head that is named update.my.*headname*.

• Thanks 2

There are a few people who love the unique look they can get with a Genus head - the Baby face and Strange face especially. There are people who still love their Catwa heads too. The owner of Genus had false DMCA charges to deal with, a new baby, and the war in Ukraine, so she had good reason to fall behind. Perhaps the Catwa owner has had RL issues to deal with too? 

I think Akeruka, LOGO, and (what's the other brand?) were smart to get on the Evo X bandwagon though. I don't think the difference in detail between the standard SLUV map and the Evo X map matters much except for close ups, but the market for Evo X skyrocketed because Lelutka is just that good with marketing their brand. And if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

With mesh bodies, there will always be a desire for a variety of shapes. With mesh heads there is too, but changing up the shape on different models isn't the big problem for their creators. Competition seems to be in how well they function with their HUDs and animations. Catwa has complex HUDs and animations that a few people love. I think Lelutka's HUD and animations are easy to use. The Genus, Akeruka and LOGO HUDs are harder for me to get comfortable using, but YMMV. Genus had glitchy animation problems though, and that darn neckline. If they fix those issues, I think they'll do well, but if they don't, they'll be in trouble.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I haven't had time to check yet, but I think if there seems to be a line, it might be when Materials are set differently on the body and head.

They tweaked the neck fit where it fits a lot better now.. much less of a pinching feel where the body meets the neck..

• Like 1

I got the Erika Zero body and put the updated free Genus Strong head on it. This is with the "Tan" BOM skin included with the Erika body. I tweaked a Kalhene Ariadna shape to be a thinner version of Erika, then adjusted the head a bit (but not much). I made the lips thinner and nose downturned, but left the eyebrows arched, because I liked the almost Vulcan look. This is with Genus eyeshadow and lipstick appliers. The Genus HUD is not as hard to use as I thought it would be, especially with the "Manual", which is just a big colored chart worn as a HUD.

GenusHead-Sept.1_001.thumb.jpg.23c35d090b29180e2d5534db99476028.jpg

This is picture is with a Genus skin from 7DS (Alone in Caramel).

GenusHead-Sept.1_002.thumb.jpg.7017c8eeb281eb8ff97386bc5d2badd6.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

No sign of the male heads, they are overdue for release now.

Bumped to September.

Male Head Release Delay

"Oh no! Delays???"
Don't worry folks! We're just not quite ready and want to make sure we do not rush ourselves. We'll get these polished and released to the grid soon.

New male head release estimation is mid September.

Love from the Genus Team

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Bumped to September.

Male Head Release Delay

"Oh no! Delays???"
Don't worry folks! We're just not quite ready and want to make sure we do not rush ourselves. We'll get these polished and released to the grid soon.

New male head release estimation is mid September.

Love from the Genus Team

People have to stop saying  SOON!! \o/

hehehehe

Soon is becoming the new, Two weeks.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

10 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

People have to stop saying  SOON!! \o/

hehehehe

Soon is becoming the new, Two weeks.. hehehe

Honestly, after what I've seen so far, I'm fine if they want to take their time on these. 👀

I'm even more picky about my male heads than I am about my female ones. It would take a whole lot to pull me off Alain, Ford, and Quinn - in the human realm anyway.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Honestly, after what I've seen so far, I'm fine if they want to take their time on these. 👀

I'm even more picky about my male heads than I am about my female ones. It would take a whole lot to pull me off Alain, Ford, and Quinn - in the human realm anyway.

I don't doubt they will have them out when they say..

It's just hearing, Soon  so much these days from all directions..

At least they did give an approximate time, unlike a lot that use the word soon.. hehehe

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.