I have a invalid group tag problem not allowing my account to log in. Please delete the group!

Shayna Senne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would really like to log in my "unable to connect to simulator" is not making me happy. I have done the clearing of the cache and the problem with the alt editing the tag is i can't remember what the group is called and my main is the owner of the group along with another person. My tickets to the support arent getting answered

9 answers to this question

(I believe :smileyhappy:) the solution is to clear your cache without logging in. Then change your start Location to Smith. I will look for the info on how to do that and update.

Thanks to Peewee,

Try clearing your cache manually.

(XP) - C: - Documents and Settings - (USER NAME) - AppData - SecondLife
(Vista) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Local - SecondLife
(Win 7) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Roaming - SecondLife and Local - SecondLife

Delete the contents of the folder and restart your computer.

NOTE: You may need to go to Windows Tools > Folder Options > View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders, in order to see AppData folder.

After your reboot, change your start location on login to Smith and when you get in just stay there under the water until your inventory has fully reloaded. You can open your inventory and type in the inventory search bar to prompt loading, but do not do anything else until it is done.

To choose a start location, go to Me > Preferences on the login screen & check the box next to Show on Login, click OK & close preferences. You should now see a dropdown box near your username & password where you can type Smith as you starting point.

• Like 1

You should try what Knowl suggests, but if it turns out it does not help, you either have to ask someone (or use an alt if that is possible) to edit the group tag you are wearing, or you have to get someone to kick you out of the group until you can log in. If none of these options are available, I believe you have to file a ticket.

- Luc -

Not sure I've heard about an error where an invalid group tag causes an "unable to connect to simulator" error.  However, wouldn't going into Me - Preferences - General tab and turning off name tags along with group tag solve this problem?  The menu is accessable at the login screen and those changes can be made and saved prior to logging in.

Might be worth trying as well.

--Cinn

• Like 1

@Knowl. That *might* work - Good thinking! - unless the group tag issue is a server issue, independant from the viewer.

@Shayna. Perhaps you could do what Knowl suggests and use a text based viewer to send a message to the other owner of the group to get the group tag edited. There is a text based viewer called Radegast, I think. It is also possible to use a viewer like Pocket Metaverse on an iOS device. If this does not work, you could perhaps have an alt send a message to the other owner of the group to get the tag edited or be booted from the group.

- Luc -

@Cinn. The group tag issue is true. I had it myself - or rather my partner had it. She got the 'unable to connect' message and I had to get in to edit the group tag before she could log in again. I filed a jira which was deemed a SEC issue, but there have been at least one other jira filed without being a SEC issue. Not entirely sure why this happens, but it does.

- Luc -

Hmmmm, not having the appropriate group tag might keep you from TPing to a SIM but the error your suggestions is a connectivity problem.

For connectivity problems try these suggestions In this order:

Wait, sometimes the servers have problems, only wait a few hours at most.

Retype your user name (both of them) and password in the boxes provided on the logon screen.

Check the Second Life grid status for logon problems.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

Try logging on at

http://slurl.com/

On login screen take this path. In top left hand corner of screen, click, me > preferences > in the general

tab, click the box next to start location, choose "show start location on login screen" then close the viewer

and relog on. Now you have something new on your login screen. Click the down arrow and choose "home",

or "last location" or type "Violet" (Any region you can remember will do, if you remember the regions name

spelling exactly) in the "type region name" selection. Try all three if you need to.

For wired connections for modems only: Disconnect all wires concerning your connection, wait 30 seconds

then plug them back in again, including the modem and transformer. Wires should snugly fit into ports. These

instructions do not apply to routers.

For wireless connections and routers: Reset your system clock. see "help and support" in Windows for

directions.

Your firewall should be set to "outbound access only" for the Second Life program.

Try another viewer

http://modularsystems.sl/

Make out a JIRA.

http://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Read the instructions first. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.