World Name?

Braclo Eber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings all!

I know this is something not a lot of people think about, but there is a few of us out there that actually enjoy learning and knowing the names of continents/world in Second Life. A lot of people don't even know what Sansara is... (That is the name of one of the continents :P)

So I'm wondering, we have continent names, but is there a name for the world. Mainly its referred to as the Grid, but might it be accurate to call it Agni since the main grid is located on the Agni system? Of course, then if you go to beta, the world will have a different name.

Any opinions on this?

-Braclo

Yea, I read somewhere that the grids is named after hindu deities. Agni being the "god of fire and acceptor of sacrifices"... makes you wonder about the main grid :P

Very interisting read on the forum link you posted. Icarus sure is doing a awesome job! Can't find any refrences to the world name though (or I missed it).

Well at the begining SL was called Linden world plus they still call their currency Linden dollars so... American dollars are for America, Candian dollars are for Canada, we don't have a currency for the planet Earth but if we did I think it might be called Earth dollars thus Linden dollars must be for Linden, the planet Linden. Just a thought.

Hehe that is true. Most likely would be the reason that if there is ever a global currency, it will be something new like Credits or something :matte-motes-grin:

So looks like atm Second Life world name is between Linden, Grid and Agni.

• 2 weeks later...

Woops, been a while since I posted here.A problem with the name "Second Life" as a world is that Second Life is more well known as a virtual reality, meaning the planet, content and residents, not the planet alone.

It makes sense that the planet would be called Second Life, but I just think there might be confusion with the name already been used to describe the reality. I guess the same can go for Linden, as it is known for the employees of Second Life, but as stated before, the currency give it a bit more of a argument to be the name of the planet.

Smoothie Perl wrote:

"Agni" pronounce "Aghnee" : it's Greek word and it mean the "pure person" (refers in female person). "Agnos" is the male.

I did not know that. It makes me like the name even more, since Earth is a lot of times referred to as feminine. Planet Agni... I like it ^^

Hi, here was Robin Linden's take on the world's name.

Once upon a time (May 2002) we had to come up with a name for this place? service? world? other than the one we had used when it was a project (LindenWorld).

We struggled through all sorts of names that had interesting meanings that might seem like a place.

- Sansara (world of appearances and endless change -Sanskrit)

- Thera (ancient Greek island, thought by some to have been the lost paradise of Atlantis)

- Luminus (Latin, light of life)

- Jardin (garden, French)

Then we thought about Linden trees.

- truth made clear

- "Those born under Linden Trees look at the world through the glasses of their dreams and imagination, without them we would end up forgetting how beautiful life is."

- Protector

We even tried to make up some new words.

- Lindia

- Viviterre (land of life)

- Creoverse (world of creation)

For a while we got into sci-fi and math.

- 333 Again

- Area 333

- digital-gen

- Rule 110

- The Grid

Finally we decided we wanted to have a name that suggested the experience rather than a place. Someone came up with Second Life. We asked our Early Creators, who all said "YUK!" 

- Not catchy

- Insulting to my first life

- Too religious

- Am I dead?

Hmmm.

Ultimately, Second Life started to feel right. It said a lot to us about what we hoped the richness of the experience would be. Plus we could get the domain name AND the trademark.  

And so it became Second Life, where we're all living happily ever after.

Saw that a while back when looking for the name, but the " we had to come up with a name for this place? service? world?" basiclly tells me that its the name of the Virtual World, instead of the planet.

By Virtual World I mean, and to quote Virtual World on Wikipedia: "A virtual world is a genre of online community that oftenI takes the form of a computer-based simulated environment, through which users can interact with one another and use and create objects." So Virtual World does not really mean Planet.

Ahh ok, I see what you mean. But it begs the question. If your sailing around Nautilus City, which is south of the continent of
Nautilus, on Planet ????? in the Agni Universe.... Wouldn't it be more sense to say Agni would be the planet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.