Jump to content

Farewell


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I'm not going to advise to stay or go as each person should decide for themselves.  These forums don't suit everyone.

Calling people mean-spirited, etc. is also being mean about members of our community and isn't really going to do anything but create more bad feelings.

I want to know what people really think about things and we have that here, even now.  Sometimes it seems brutal but that is as much about how people receive it as it is about how it's delivered.  Do we really want a place that's just full of wishy-washy platitudes because they are too afraid to say what they really think?  That's a place that I would quit instantly.

I don't care whether I read the near-performance art style angry postings or get pulled up on my incorrect form of archaic English.  These are the real people of the forums.

It also has to be said, this place is a paragon of behaviour compared to much of the internet.

I agree with this and want to give it the prominence it deserves and thank Dafadilia for their post:

19 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I've never really considered any forum regulars rude, mean, etc. Whatever way one wishes to word it. They are blunt, they have differing views at times and aren't afraid to state those views. That isn't' being rude or mean. It just seems that people have forgotten that people aren't always going to agree with them and that's perfectly okay. It is okay to express differing views and to discuss them without either party completely shutting down. At least that is how it should be.

I'm a senisitve person. Very sensitive. The great thing about this community is we all have freedom of choice to partake or not. I stick to threads that hold my interest and take part where I feel comfortable to do so. When I find myself getting a bit too emotionally invested in these forums, I take a break from them. It happens. Of course it is your choice whether you leave or not, but the forums are still a huge source of valuable information so perhaps use it as the tool it is meant to be. You don't have to take part in the forums if you are uncomfortable, but it would be a shame to throw away an entire site of information that actually helps more than it hinders. Most of the regulars here offer so much help to thers and one another. I've gotten tons of help here over the years I've been part of this community. I guess I just see things differently. Of course there have been a few bad apples in the bunch over the years, but I find they are very few and far between.

You don't have to be bestfriends with us in the forum community to use the forums for your benefit. Just saying. I wish you well.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, Ian Mercury said:

I'm leaving this forum. I really don't like the way people react to each other here. All the best and have a nice Second Life.

You do you Scoobydo and let the rest fall to the way side or the scroll wheel or whatever you use for a huckleberry.

If you do end up trying again down the road, just dive into what you are looking for and not into what you aren't.. Scroll wheel is you fren. :D

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2023 at 10:23 AM, Ian Mercury said:

I'm leaving this forum. I really don't like the way people react to each other here. All the best and have a nice Second Life.

It is probably your best bet. The forums are really not that safe as one can easily wind up in a debate and then in answer to an antagonistic poster, respond in kind resulting in being reported and a warning threatening your whole account.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, Ina Fairport said:
On 8/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, Ina Fairport said:

I'm leaving this forum. I really don't like the way people react to each other here. All the best and have a nice Second Life.

Sorry to see you go but there's more to life than this . I  have seen people say they go but have seen them come back also. Take everything into moderation, everyone is allowed to express themself everyone comes from different backgrounds, everyone has a story , people do laugh and be silly.  Giggle , laugh and dance if you can't beat them join them  know one is out to get anyone this is a forum yes it has feelings but how reply to yourself think before you leap , train the mind the  mindset don't let your mind trick you get emotion overdrive that you are better than that you gotta take the wheel take your power back , you can take break get some air , you can stop yourself for a sec and breathe and out , You don't have to follow everything you don't have to comment ether save your words when you feel you want to follow that all up to you.  Sometimes trolls come in but they got nothing better to do these kinds of things, still finding themself that it's all up to them. If you see anything that does seem right there is a report button let it handle for itself walk away.  but good to read the rules and find print you can choose to follow someone and ignore  you can give it a break.  Only follow the things you like. Just let people make peace with you . We may not all be the same but we are in this boat together. We need to have a bit of imagination and have some fun or it will be boring. We need some fun in life to never start again.       Only thing that is a waste of time is how Society tells you how to live , live your own life on your terms and make it a beautiful one.  You can also private message someone in kind if you're not understanding it. I have heard many do this. It solves the very thing of misunderstanding now you can start feeling  better.  You may not want to ignore so many you miss out on things you can love people but put them in their place were they belong but don't miss out the good things in life keep carrying on your day.

 


 

Edited by BlightCirus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2023 at 1:52 PM, Rowan Amore said:

 

Luckily for me, I had JUST swallowed a mouthful of coffee when I saw this. This was a literal LoL. Ok, so yeah, I missed this stuff. Sigh. That's a horrible thing to admit.

(scanning to see if anyone in the thread did the "can I have your stuff?" routine) (so mean)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2023 at 2:18 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

It is probably your best bet. The forums are really not that safe as one can easily wind up in a debate and then in answer to an antagonistic poster, respond in kind resulting in being reported and a warning threatening your whole account.

My initial reaction to reading your comment was to snicker about the Forums not being all "that safe" as I flashed back to the crazy, bad old days and was thinking how tame this place is now. However, upon the reminder about the warnings that can threaten your inworld account, which is insane but true, yeah. That. Right. I keep forgetting that when I leave and come back, as I have done briefly now. All it takes is one crazy person with a lunatic vendetta and your inworld existence is threatened. But honestly, I still laugh at the notion of how "mean" this place is. They've dumbed it down so much to be boring, tame, lame, etc. for any real conversation, which in a bunch of people (more than 1 is a bunch), is almost certain to be a controversial subject.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

My initial reaction to reading your comment was to snicker about the Forums not being all "that safe" as I flashed back to the crazy, bad old days and was thinking how tame this place is now. However, upon the reminder about the warnings that can threaten your inworld account, which is insane but true, yeah. That. Right. I keep forgetting that when I leave and come back, as I have done briefly now. All it takes is one crazy person with a lunatic vendetta and your inworld existence is threatened. But honestly, I still laugh at the notion of how "mean" this place is. They've dumbed it down so much to be boring, tame, lame, etc. for any real conversation, which in a bunch of people (more than 1 is a bunch), is almost certain to be a controversial subject.

I made that comment shortly after finding an e-mail from the Lab to a rarely checked e-mail account, informing me of having received my first warning for a post that supposedly crossed the line into "Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary". They of course did not actually quote the offending post(s), leaving it to my hazy memory what I might have said that crossed the line. I'm usually pretty careful to debate the idea or opinion of others in the forum so I am at a bit of a loss to know when I transgressed that line and it became personal in the opinion of the Lindens. Since they didn't point out or quote the specific post, it becomes impossible to actually contest the warning which they did offer in the e-mail. A case of "you did wrong but we aren't telling you what you did wrong!" Just that hazy handwave to the Community guidelines thing.

So yeah, the forums are not that safe in some respects and can result in the loss of one's account and the investment in it because of the shifting community guideline interpretations by the powers that be.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I made that comment shortly after finding an e-mail from the Lab to a rarely checked e-mail account, informing me of having received my first warning for a post that supposedly crossed the line into "Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary". They of course did not actually quote the offending post(s), leaving it to my hazy memory what I might have said that crossed the line. I'm usually pretty careful to debate the idea or opinion of others in the forum so I am at a bit of a loss to know when I transgressed that line and it became personal in the opinion of the Lindens. Since they didn't point out or quote the specific post, it becomes impossible to actually contest the warning which they did offer in the e-mail. A case of "you did wrong but we aren't telling you what you did wrong!" Just that hazy handwave to the Community guidelines thing.

So yeah, the forums are not that safe in some respects and can result in the loss of one's account and the investment in it because of the shifting community guideline interpretations by the powers that be.

 

I feel so silly because I will admit something. I never thought of it in this perspective and you're right. I even had posts disappear of mine after these new rules came about. My posts have never been controversial. I've always been extremely careful of that, but you are right. It is one of the reasons I began to take long breaks from the forums. My memory isn't great at the moment. I just...forgot. 😑

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I made that comment shortly after finding an e-mail from the Lab to a rarely checked e-mail account, informing me of having received my first warning for a post that supposedly crossed the line into "Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary". They of course did not actually quote the offending post(s), leaving it to my hazy memory what I might have said that crossed the line. I'm usually pretty careful to debate the idea or opinion of others in the forum so I am at a bit of a loss to know when I transgressed that line and it became personal in the opinion of the Lindens. Since they didn't point out or quote the specific post, it becomes impossible to actually contest the warning which they did offer in the e-mail. A case of "you did wrong but we aren't telling you what you did wrong!" Just that hazy handwave to the Community guidelines thing.

So yeah, the forums are not that safe in some respects and can result in the loss of one's account and the investment in it because of the shifting community guideline interpretations by the powers that be.

 

I'd like to make some more comments about this but... um [and I'm being serious] pretty sure the *topic* would be :cough: *problematic.*

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I made that comment shortly after finding an e-mail from the Lab to a rarely checked e-mail account, informing me of having received my first warning for a post that supposedly crossed the line into "Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary". They of course did not actually quote the offending post(s), leaving it to my hazy memory what I might have said that crossed the line. I'm usually pretty careful to debate the idea or opinion of others in the forum so I am at a bit of a loss to know when I transgressed that line and it became personal in the opinion of the Lindens. Since they didn't point out or quote the specific post, it becomes impossible to actually contest the warning which they did offer in the e-mail. A case of "you did wrong but we aren't telling you what you did wrong!" Just that hazy handwave to the Community guidelines thing.

So yeah, the forums are not that safe in some respects and can result in the loss of one's account and the investment in it because of the shifting community guideline interpretations by the powers that be.

 

They never tell you exactly what you did, but if you do it enough times, you will be suspended not only from the forums, but from logging inworld.

 

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a word
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...