I am having trouble Logging into Second Life! Please help!

Guestimation125

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This has never happened to me during the time that I've played Second Life. I was in the middle of Chatting with some friends like usual, but then I had to Log out to go to work.

Later on I tried to Log back into Second Life when for some reason it seemed to be taking a bit longer than normal. I figured that it was just the Region because of how complex it was when I suddenly returned to the Main Screen.

A Message showed up that I've never seen before that read: WE'RE HAVING TROUBLE CONNECTING. THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION OR THE SECOND LIFE GRID.

It said a few things about trying again or clicking Help for support, but nothing's working. I have been trying SEVERAL times to Log into Second Life, even Deleting the Program all together and reinstalling it, but I keep getting the same thing.

I have no Idea as to how this could've happened, but if someone can please give an answer, I'd appreciate this very much.

2 answers to this question

It's a problem with your connection to the LL servers.  There's many things that might be the cause but two of the most common issues are your router and modem needing to be reset and the internal web browser for the viewer needs to be cleared.  You can do both before you attempt to log in.  Launch your viewer and open your preferences.  If you are using Viewer 2 (or viewers coded using the Viewer 2 open source code) go to the "Privacy" tab and look at the top and you'll see a "Clear History" button.  Click it (I can't remember if you get a pop-up like you do for the "Reset" when clearing your cache but if you do OK out of it).  That will clear your Internal browser cache (it will also clear the recent TP history....if you use the feature a lot, be aware of that).  If you use Viewer 1.23 (or a viewer based on that code) the button to clear the browser cache is on the "Web" tab (it's been a long time since I used a viewer based on that code so that's from memory......you might have to look around for it).  Shut the viewer down and also go ahead and shut your computer down.  Then unplug your modem and router (if you have one) from the electrical source and wait 3 to 5 minutes.  Plug back in and wait for the lights to settle to the normal blinking routine (it takes my router and modem about 30 seconds).  Boot your computer back up and try SL again. 

Hopefully that's all the problem is and everything will work as before.  You might find it takes a few seconds longer to get the viewer splash screen and/or the announcements.......that's normal since your the web browser needs to load from the Internet instead of from the cache.

In this order, try:

Wait, sometimes the servers have problems, only wait a few hours at most.

Retype your user name (both of them) and password in the boxes provided on the logon screen.

Check the Second Life grid status for logon problems.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

Try logging on at

http://slurl.com/

On login screen take this path. In top left hand corner of screen, click, met > perferances > in the general tab, click the box that says "show start location on login screen" click apply, click OK. Now you have something new on your login screen. Click the down arrow and choose "home", or "last location" or type "Violet" (Any region you can remember will do, if you remember the regions name spelling exactly) in the "type region name" selection. Try all three if you need to.

For wired connections for modems only: Disconnect all wires concerning your connection, wait 30 seconds then plug them back in again, including the modem and transformer. Wires should snugly fit into ports. These instructions do not apply to routers.

For wireless connections and routers: Reset your system clock. see "help and support" in Windows for directions.

Your firewall should be set to "outbound access only" for the Second Life program.

Another possible solution:

Try another viewer. This one for instance:

http://modularsystems.sl/

Make out a JIRA.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.