Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lawless Greymoon

Too many scripts?

24 posts in this topic

Hi there, Ive recent started getting this error when I tp to certain places

 

"You are running 219 scripts (136 active), using 8 MB memory. Please try to reduce your scripts so that you are using less then 5MB of memory, ideally under 2MB. Thank you. (To check your count after removing some scripts, please click the box near the landing point."

 

I'm not sure whats happening as im only wearing some basic bootss,trousers (lol),hair, ao and tattoos etc. I never used to get this message but have been recently. How do I get rid of scripts?? Its happening even if I tp somewhere naked (lol :P...I had to test it)

 

Any help appreciated!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its probably bad hair or boots.

Try taking off each item and having the script recheck you after. Once you know the offending item - contact its maker and politely demand a non-scripted version. The item is 'lag-griefing' everyone around you, as well as yourself, by knocking up the 'script memory' usage so high that it risks crashing the places you go to if a few more peole with items like that show up.

To check your script usage yourself without needing that item from a location, go to About Land and look at the scripts tab.

To get to ‘About Land’ you need to use:
World –> Place Profile –> About Land

Next look for script info in I think the general tab, and then 'My Avatar'. You'll get a list of all your items that have scripts and how much each is using.

Anything above 3mbs is a dangerous item. I try to keep worn items below 1mb if I can.

 

I'll make screenshots later. I thought I had them in my blog but I don't... Oops.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Pussycat said.

I will just add that you can try to remove scripts yourself. Try to click on the prims you are wearing, like your hair, and see if a blue "box" with information comes on your screen. Look for "Remove scripts" or "Delete scripts". But, when you have removed the scripts, you will never be able to resize the thing again, or change color or textures.

This is why I dislike items with scripts. A few good creators who use scripts leave their products modifiable, but those are so few. That an item is resizable with a script does not mean it is modifiable.

It is also several free gadgets on the Marketplace that let you check your scriptcount quick and easy. Search for "Script counter" and you will get several ones on the first page. I prefer this instead of looking in "About land". Try one of these script counters (some look like weights, lol) and it is no need to take off clothes that is "painted on" you. All things that are prims can be scripted, so keep on the jeans and a simple top if you are in a public sandbox! ;) Your AO and HUDs can also be heavy scripted. MystiTool and Huddles both have a sky high amount of scripts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion on those script meters: Ignore them! Most of them are put in place without even knowing how they work in detail. Because: The script function to determine the script memory will report any LSL script that is compiled as a Mono script as using 64 KB of memory. That however is complete nonsense! LSL Mono scripts dynamically acquire only as much memory they need - most often less than the 16 KB memory that classic LSL scripts *always* acquire.

With those script memory meters, you can actually make memory usage worse! Think of wearing an object with 4 LSL Mono scripts in it. Let each script acquire 4 KB memory in total. Now, that meter report that object as using 256 KB of memory while in fact they only use 16 KB in total. The apparent solution to reduce reported memory use would be to compile those 4 scripts as classic LSL scripts. Then they will be reported of using 64 KB of memory in total which is basically correct. But in the end, you use 48 KB memory more while some other people might think you have reduced the memory used in total!

So my advice: Completely ignore those stupid meters and if somebody asks you to reduce script memory because of that thing, point at him while laughing loud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ansariel Hiller wrote:

My opinion on those script meters: Ignore them! Most of them are put in place without even knowing how they work in detail. Because: The script function to determine the script memory will report any LSL script that is compiled as a Mono script as using 64 KB of memory. That however is complete nonsense! LSL Mono scripts dynamically acquire only as much memory they need - most often less than the 16 KB memory that classic LSL scripts *always* acquire.

With those script memory meters, you can actually make memory usage worse! Think of wearing an object with 4 LSL Mono scripts in it. Let each script acquire 4 KB memory in total. Now, that meter report that object as using 256 KB of memory while in fact they only use 16 KB in total. The apparent solution to reduce reported memory use would be to compile those 4 scripts as classic LSL scripts. Then they will be reported of using 64 KB of memory in total which is basically correct. But in the end, you use 48 KB memory more while some other people might think you have reduced the memory used in total!

So my advice: Completely ignore those stupid meters and if somebody asks you to reduce script memory because of that thing, point at him while laughing loud!

Terrible advice.

While those devices CAN be innacurate regarding memory counted, it's usually not by a lot. Moreso, the amount of scripts isn't an incorrect amount. However many scripts it counts, you have. Even if it does get the amount of memory wrong.

Yes, recompiling from mono to lsl can make your memory usage worse... But chances are, if you have to ask "Why am I seeing this message?" you don't even know HOW to recompile mono/lsl. That type of resident is more likely to take the script off than recompile. Which... lowers their script memory, and thus the device works.

8 MB of memory is insane. Even allowing for the innaccuracies in mono memory, you're still way too script heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ansariel Hiller wrote:

My opinion on those script meters: Ignore them! Most of them are put in place without even knowing how they work in detail.

So my advice: Completely ignore those stupid meters and if somebody asks you to reduce script memory because of that thing, point at him while laughing loud!

This foolish person probably finds SL to be laggy, or has a supped out internet connection and PC.

Guess what: I don't find SL laggy at all, even on my 2003 PowerPC iBook g4...

Pay attention to script memory. You can also easily verify any meter using About Land.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible inaccuracies aside, it's time to whip out those scripts, as 8 meg is a bit ginormous. My bet's on the boots and hair having resizers, so squirrel away a copy if you can and delete all scripts. It's nice how it can make your tps smoother :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be noted also that there are some very good makers in SL that do -not- script their boots, hair, or jewelry. Find them - and do not shop at places that overscript.

A good indicator is the presence of modify on the permissions. If its modify its less likely to be overscripted - but even if it is, you can strip out the scripts (but sometimes even once the script is gone, it continues to run. It is possible to stop it, but I forget how as I haven't had to do this since 2009 - but I do recall it being trivally easy).

 I say this onlybecause invariably in this kind of thread someone always jumps in with the 'how dare you make us wear junk - we don't care if we crash the entire grid, we want teh sexxors nao!' They're usually too idiotic to realize or believe or even try out suggested stores tha have often better quality items for what they want... and instead just keep flaming the thread with a demand to be able to run around with a 300mb scripted hair...

I liken them to people who run out into oncomming traffic and as they die from getting run over say "WTF, pedestrians have right of way!" refusing to realizing that the laws of physics have even more 'right of way' and say a car going 50mph can't stop on a dime... SL just won't run with all that overscripting - so you can suffer SL death, or change what you wear: those are just the only choices.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Pay attention to script memory. You can also easily verify any meter using About Land.


Yeah, but that thingy does the same as llGetObjectDetails: It returns the maximum amount a script may use. Not the actual value if you have Mono scripts. Try this and be amazed how 64 KB suddenly becomes about 4.3 KB when you use the new llGetUsedMemory function to determine the actual memory used by a script:

default

{

    touch_start(integer total_number)

    {

        list SM = llGetObjectDetails(llGetKey(), [OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY]);

        llSay(0, "llGetObjectDetails value: " + llList2String(SM, 0));

        llSay(0, "llGetUsedMemory value: " + (string)llGetUsedMemory());

    }

}



Accusing people of using 8 MB script memory where it's most probably only a fracture of that number is the same stupid way to annoy people away as with arguing lowing the ARC will reduce sim lag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accuracy isn't in question. Whether or not you should reduce script counts is.

And like it or not, you should. Any scripts you can dump, you should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should read what I wrote more exactly or did I mention script count anywhere? I was referring to those "Oh, you use like <<Insert highly oversized amount of memory here>> MB of script memory! You are evil!" displays that server no purpose except giving people unknown of how this value gets calculated a tool to annoy other people.

This is independent from that I personally don't like all that scripted resize crap either and get rid of all scripts I don't need. But judging people based on a script method that returns the theoretical amount of memory used that all scripts that person is wearing might consume is just plain dumb!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you should read my reply: You can use About Land to confirm any one of those scripts. And the results will show you many of them are accurate.

About Land -> Script Info button at the bottom of first tab -> My Avatar.

 And you can then pull out sim performance tools in an empty sim and confirm it again.

 

Those blocks count in steps yes - but that's still a uage as that's steps of memory reserved away from other uses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can tp to the Forum Cartel hangout, We have one of them gadgets. And Happy Hippo building classes has one. Or do what Pussycat says. :smileywink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ansariel Hiller wrote:

You should read what I wrote more exactly or did I mention script count anywhere? I was referring to those "Oh, you use like <<Insert highly oversized amount of memory here>> MB of script memory! You are evil!" displays that server no purpose except giving people unknown of how this value gets calculated a tool to annoy other people.

This is independent from that I personally don't like all that scripted resize crap either and get rid of all scripts I don't need. But judging people based on a script method that returns the theoretical amount of memory used that all scripts that person is wearing might consume is just plain dumb!

Nope, you didn't. I did.

All I said was even if you ignore the innaccuracies in the counters concerning memory, they still give a good ballpark, and the amount of scripts counted won't be wrong.

Therefore, lowering your script count because you saw an alert from one of these devices is a good idea, and they shouldn't be ignored as per your bad advice earlier in the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but you don't read answers! I told you that the values shown in the script info panel in the about land window return the same value as the LSL script function: They always return the maximum amount of memory a script can acquire: 16 KB for LSL2, 64 KB for Mono and not how much memory actually is used. If you don't want to believe it: Stick to your myth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gadget Portal wrote:

All I said was even if you ignore the innaccuracies in the counters concerning memory, they still give a good ballpark, and the amount of scripts counted won't be wrong.

Therefore, lowering your script count because you saw an alert from one of these devices is a good idea, and they shouldn't be ignored as per your bad advice earlier in the thread.

So, once again: I never said the script count was wrong, but that the script memory shown is useless. Now trying to say script memory might be an indicator is just a cheap way of trying to get your act together, because trying to conclude the performance impact of a script solely by watching at the memory it consumes is just a shot in the blue. You can easily create a script consuming 64 KB of memory that sits there doing absolutely nothing, or make a script of only a handful lines of code that lags a sim down to a complete stop - oh, if you compile latter as Mono so it shows up as using 64 KB memory, your theory might be true! :smileyvery-happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG you are so annoying !!!

The OP had a valid question and everyone here tried to give him some helpful advice.

Gadget summed it up nicely "Any scripts you can dump, you should.".

If the owners of the places Lawless goes to decided they wanted to reduce the script count on their land it is their choice.

We get it you are a scripter, you know better than anyone how the lsl engine works; good for you.

I think what Lawless wants is some way not to be removed from the places he goes to, and that's what gadget, pussycat and Marianne tried to help him achieve.

Your advice to "Completely ignore those stupid meters and if somebody asks you to reduce script memory because of that thing, point at him while laughing loud!" is probably the worst advice you can give.

If you come to my land and i ask you, politely, i am always polite, to reduce your prim count and your answer is to "point at me while laughing loud!" i will just kick you out and ignore you.

Bah with the kind of arrogance you have displayed here i would probably kick you anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, you really think reducing prim count will (ARC) will reduce server lag? Oy my... But well, if you think it's more important to strengthen people's believe in myths, well, then do so. But this doesn't mean it will make your point of view any more true. But as always: The forums still seem to continue the long tradition of propagating myths and urban legends, so, have fun doing so! :matte-motes-yawn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, but  now my question is.... there is any way to prevent those "sensors" from counting my scripts and my memory usage?

I 'm really sick and tired of being "inspected" ; as long i'm not wearing illegal items i'd like not to be bothered when i tp somewhere.

Yes, some script may be dumped if useless after resizing stuff or so, but when i buy items  i pay with good money  for scripted things and i'd like to be able to wear them without those stupid inspections and requests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't want to be bothered when you tp anywhere?

Show courtesy and reduce your script count so you do not bother other people on the same Sim.

It's a give and take.

 

Also, this reminds me of the sim I used to live at, there was this one resident living there who had an avatar that came to a total of 27MB. They didn't speak english, never saw their avatar...but up to this day I am still curious as to how they achieved that feat o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, unfortunately, there is no way to prevent those counters from doing what they do.  Ansariel is quite right that they are worthless at best, because they report numbers that are (1) unreliable and (2) only slightly relevant to sim performance.  Those devices started to become popular a couple of years ago, before Linden Lab finally cured what used to be known as the Mono Bug.  In those days, people who wore an excessive number of Mono-compiled scripts into a sim could quite literally stall its servers for several seconds.  It was a major contributor to sim lag.  Those days are well behind us now.  The effect today is quite small compared to other, more serious problems like overuse of physical object and excessive numbers of high-resolution textures.

Having said all of that, many landowners still use the detectors and believe that they do something useful.  Because a landowner can eject you for any reason at all (or for no reason), there's no point in ignoring or complaining about a warning. If you really want to visit the sim, lower your script use.

BTW, I rarely carry more than 13 scripts, for a grand total of about 300Kb of memory. It's not because I'm pious, but simply because I can't see any purpose in carrying unnecessary scripts around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may find some of the information in this thread useful.

It may help you identify the 'so called' offending objects.

I had a few objects with supposedly rediculous numbers.  I messaged the creator and got back lean clean versions of the same item at no charge to me.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/I-Never-Noticed-This-Before-Script-Info/m-p/1525111/highlight/true#M63924

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's annoying that people refer to worthless numbers of that worthless meters.

Although the # of scripts is a factor and carrying a few 100 is way too many.

It's annoying that creators still plaster their stuff with 100s of scripts where only ONE script is needed, leaving it to the customer to find out how to reduce the # of scripts. I personally do not buy stuff like that and I don't buy if it's unclear if it has scripts and if I can remove them or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0