Open Wonderland - Potential to be the first 3D viewer on android?

Aeon Karas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First of all apologies for posting in a forum like this, there's none forum for third party viewers that i know off, and this is the one that seems the most fitting, and this really has to get out to people. ORACLE has this open source'd Virtual world viewer written in java that can surely be shrinked/optimized for android devices, also can serve as a less resource consuming solution for lower end and older computers/netbooks. The question is, who would take time of their own to work on this? Sadly i don't. i'm sure that we, SL habitants and android users alltogether would love having something else in our phones, because, let's be honest, who wants to pay 250L a week for a deficient cellphone text-based viewer?

Ironic that you say that, minecraft, which is java and also OpenGL, runs Alooot faster than my computer on my HTC HD2 running android and no overcocking, so it's feasible. Also, i don't think we're that far, with the release of the Quad Core 1.5ghz NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor in Q3 2011, which can outperform Intel's Core 2 Series of processors we will be able to have really close to xbox 360 graphics on portable devices, i'm sure that with the current devices with Adreno GPU chipsets something can be done to optimize stuff in order for it to work. the whole thing is Done, the only left is to optimize, port and adapt stuff for it to work on android. prolly a week worth of sum'd work.

Tegra 3 in action.

10 years time? Do you realise how close phones these days are nearing the Secondlife minimum requirements (though outdated)? Check out the HTC Sensation, HTC Evo, etc; they're not far off. There's no reason why a watered down java based viwer (a port of the beta web client perhaps) can be optimised now, ready for when such a capable phone is released.

Aeon Karas wrote:

Ironic that you say that, minecraft, which is java and also OpenGL, runs Alooot faster than my computer on my HTC HD2 running android and no overcocking, so it's feasible.

That's a bit like saying because your smartphone comes with a simple scribbling pad or fingerpaint app, it should also be able to run 3ds Max and render an 8 million polygon scene with shadows from multiple light sources. Minecraft and Second Life play in completely different leagues.

So eloquently put Ishtara Rothschild, thank you haha. Also yes I do believe that eventually SL will run on a phone, but not any time soon. Even if it meets the CPU requirements there is still memory, -GPU-, and connection speed. Also SL is much harder on computers than other games because content is usually built by people who don't know a lick about optimization. So even if your watered down Java viewer manages to get past the log in screen, good luck going anywhere other than an empty sim.

Is SL that can't be enjoyed as SL really SL? Or is it just a quick 2 second, "Oh that's kinda nifty. Ok, ttyl!"

• 2 weeks later...

You can run  second life  in  your andoid phone, not exactly  in your mobile phone  but  you can  control your avi  and write  with  3d viewer  via stream

Find  and test  a program that  via  wifi  can stream  your pc  or laptop  screen  in your mobile android  phone , then  try  to  open  the second life  from  your mobile  phone  it will open  and run  fast with  3d  view I have  sonny  xperia  x10 mini  and  the  graphics  was  better  from  my small xperia than  my  HP  intel  card  graphic  laptop 

• 2 weeks later...

Splashtop HD works great for streaming audio and video from your computer to your mobile device. I does lag however while playing Second Life and proves to be more aggrivating than useful for that particular application. The Motorola Xoom is a tablet PC running android and is turning out to be a pretty serious gaming device. This thing completely out performs my net book but my net book will still run SL. I do agree that it just takes the time and the effort to provide us Android users with a decent 3D viewer there is no way you can tell me this device can't handle it. Not even considering over lock potential of my tegra 2 processor to 1.7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.