LaraX?

Rowan Amore
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If you are anything like me then most of this wasn't even from redelivering existing purchases either.  It's from new purchases I've made over a long period of time since those bodies were introduced.

The venus and isis stuff, that was just "oh there's a bunch of stuff I bought for Real-Lara that had that in the box as well".

When somebody gifted me the Kupra, I searched my inv to see if I actually had anything it could wear, and "Oh a lot more than I knew, well fancy that".

• Like 3

I don't keep sizes for bodies I don't use. I have gone through my inventory with all possible search words, Belleza, Isis, Venus, Freya, Slink, Physique, Hourglass, HG and now also Reborn, Ebody and Kupra. I delete it all. Even if I have all older Belleza bodies and also Physique. 

Maybe I will buy Reborn in the future? If I get Reborn, I will have to build up an inventory for it. I doubt I have time to go back to stores and get a redelivery just to look for Reborn sizes. I keep the containers from my purchases, but I would not bother to test all for a possible Reborn size.

I have a Legacy even if I never use it, but it is a "maybe". I see a few creators who stopped to rig for Lara. They often keep Legacy.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I don't keep sizes for bodies I don't use. I have gone through my inventory with all possible search words, Belleza, Isis, Venus, Freya, Slink, Physique, Hourglass, HG and now also Reborn, Ebody and Kupra. I delete it all. Even if I have all older Belleza bodies and also Physique.

I don't keep all the items from the box either.  I do keep the boxes though which has served me well.  My observations are from what I see upon unpacking and just before I delete all the versions for everything but Lara.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I don't keep all the items from the box either.  I do keep the boxes though which has served me well.  My observations are from what I see upon unpacking and just before I delete all the versions for everything but Lara.

Keeping boxes is a good idea in case when some creator might quit SL as well. Not just leave their store in the maitenance mode with at the very least MP running, sometimes even in-world store, too, but actually quit. Then the only way to "get a redelivery" is unpacking those boxes. If something gets updated for the newer bodies I replace backup box with a new one.

And it doesn't take almost any time after the initial setup, which is just making a bunch of subfolders in the backup folder so boxes with landscape stuff won't get mixed with clothes, hair and so on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Keeping boxes is a good idea in case when some creator might quit SL as well. Not just leave their store in the maitenance mode with at the very least MP running, sometimes even in-world store, too, but actually quit. Then the only way to "get a redelivery" is unpacking those boxes. If something gets updated for the newer bodies I replace backup box with a new one.

And it doesn't take almost any time after the initial setup, which is just making a bunch of subfolders in the backup folder so boxes with landscape stuff won't get mixed with clothes, hair and so on.

It's also easier to wear a box and pull out what you want from it than it is to open a redelivery page, find the item on the page, have it delivered into SL, then open or wear the box to get the item(s) you want.

I keep my boxed inside the folders for them unless it might be confusing that they are boxes. Then I keep them in the outer folder for my subfolders.

Bonus tip: system folders can't be accidentally deleted, so items stored directly in these can't be accidentally deleted either.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

One thing I really hope for with the new body is that they make the dev kit more accessible. That's been a complaint since the beginning and I think it would give the new body a higher chance of popping off if creators could have the official kit for Lara X with minimal work required on their part. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I keep the boxes of items that contain multiple body sizes but allow you to only unpack a specific body.  Those, IMO, are the best thing since sliced bread.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I keep the boxes of items that contain multiple body sizes but allow you to only unpack a specific body.  Those, IMO, are the best thing since sliced bread.

I suspect that those vendors are using those to find out what people are using in a smarter fashion than using surveys.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I suspect that those vendors are using those to find out what people are using in a smarter fashion than using surveys.

Oooo, that would be smart. Can the box be scripted to report back to the seller: "Body xxx unpacked" ??

It would be a very accurate way to find out what body* the majority of your customers shop for.

* and if it changes.

Edited by Marianne Little
added last sentence
  • Like 4

Just now, Marianne Little said:

Oooo, that would be smart. Can the box be scripted to report back to the seller: "Body xxx unpacked" ??

It would be a very accurate way to find out what body the majority of your customers shop for.

Yes, it sure can and I agree it would be very accurate.  I assumed that this was the purpose of splitting the bodies up into packs like this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

One thing I really hope for with the new body is that they make the dev kit more accessible. That's been a complaint since the beginning and I think it would give the new body a higher chance of popping off if creators could have the official kit for Lara X with minimal work required on their part. 

I really, really hope so too. Please make it happen, Maitreya: Dev kits sent out to all that ask for it, and fast.

• Like 3

I have Maitreya Lara for my main avatar (Vanity), although I did purchase on impulse an Inithium Khara body during one of their recent one-hour flash sales for L$1,000 (mainly because it was on sale, and I am a freebie fashionista a.k.a. a cheap ***** who couldn't resist a bargain LOL!). I love the Khara body, but there still aren't a lot of designers creating for it yet, so I will likely just keep it in storage and wait patiently. If it flops, I'm only out a thousand Linden dollars, no big deal.

I had originally bought the Kalhene Analexa for a few female alts, but then the creator dropped that body entirely, so I updated some of them to Maitreya Lara during last year's 50%-off Black Friday sales. Also, I discovered that the Analexa bodies were not as Maitreya Lara-compatible as the LucyBody Atenea, which you can get for free and only requires a L$250 HUD to make them Bakes on Mesh compatible. Almost all of my female alts use Atenea now. Kalhene chose to gamble on Erika, and while I see more designers creating for Erika, it's still a bit of a gamble (the recent L$50 Erika Zero was a smart move, though).

Some thoughts from my freebie fashionista/cheap ***** perspective:

1. Maitreya is very smart to give LaraX to existing Lara 5.3 users has a giveaway upgrade. Whether or not you use it is up to you, but I would be very surprised if content creators are going to rig for both Lara 5.3 and LaraX bodies. Once LaraX is launched, you can expect that clothing for Lara 5.3 will start to dwindle, just as it's now harder to find new clothing for Belleza Freya since GenX launched. HOWEVER, the LucyBody Atenea is still nearly free (only L$250 for a Maitreya Lara-compatible body with the Bakes on Mesh HUD LucyBody sells), and still relatively popular according to Lucia Nightfire's statistics, so that might keep some designers creating clothing for Lara 5.3. Maybe.

2. Keep in mind that, from here onward, there's going to be a growing number of people whose first mesh head and body are Senra. Whatever company makes it easy/easier for Senra Jamie mesh head and body users to upgrade to *their* brand is going to reap the rewards. I'm not sure yet what this would look like, but we'll know it when we see it. The emphasis needs to be on an EASY upgrade, something with lots of help for newer users.

3. Never underestimate the power of good-quality freebies! The Genus Strong gift head is the number one head on Lucia's list, followed closely by the three free LeLutka female heads which LeLutka has given out as free gifts in 3 successive years. All LeLutka would have to do is include some Senra-compatible body skin to sweeten the deal this coming Christmas. Just sayin'...

4. The SL mesh head and body wars are entering a new phase. Because clothing designers are NOT going to rig for more than 5 or 6 bodies, TOPS, there will be both winners and losers in this marketplace. Marketing and good PR is going to be key in this new round of battles. No sense having a great mesh body if nobody knows about it and next-to-nobody designs for it!!

So I'm just gonna stock up on popcorn and grab a front-row seat to this particular three-ring circus! 🍿

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

3. Never underestimate the power of good-quality freebies! The Genus Strong gift head is the number one head on Lucia's list, followed closely by the three free LeLutka female heads which LeLutka has given out as free gifts in 3 successive years. All LeLutka would have to do is include some Senra-compatible body skin to sweeten the deal this coming Christmas. Just sayin'...

2nd is Avalon, and it never was free. It's just that generic and thus become most popular. It's still good, very good, but after it got as popular as it is I'd never really suggest it to anyone, because as versatile heads Lelutka makes and as much difference skins and addons add you can still always look around and say "Yep, that's Avalon, and there's 15 more of them nearby right now".

It's the case with every bento head, and that's why there's so many of them around, sliders and skins/bom addons make a difference, but some features are pre-defined and can only be adjusted that much. It's just most noticeable on the most worn ones since they are everywhere you go.

But yeah, a few more months and last Lel's freebie female head (Raven) will be in top 5.

And to add, freebies are good, but as seen on this very example, being widely grabbed by new users (Genus free head) doesn't mean more content being made. It has been a while since I saw any decent skin creator releasing non EvoX skin or addon. Which makes sense, most of those freebie hunters are unlikely to actually buy stuff, or they wouldn't settle of a that rather awful looking (personal opinion, of course), Genus free head, and if they'll decide to actually upgrade, then content for EvoX is there already, so no point to make anything for the freebie head at all.

3 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

The SL mesh head and body wars are entering a new phase. Because clothing designers are NOT going to rig for more than 5 or 6 bodies,

Honestly I'm not expecting that many changes with the LaraX release. Some will drop maitreya completely, some will pick up the X after dropping the old version before to see how it goes for a bit. There's no new up and coming bodies to squeeze in, so even if all that LaraX experiment flops terribly and they get to keep 1/5 of the current userbase it still going to be in those top 3 female bodies along with Reborn and Legacy. It might push Kupra out even more than it already is, but yeah, it's more  dead than alive as is already. And I don't think the nearly permanent 50% sale will help Belleza at all either. 10 months since its release, both bodies are still hanging around 500 users detected on the Lucia's list, and amount of content for them is awful (even worse if consider that it's divided by two, because some creators picked curvy and some classic version).

It might shuffle the numbers a bit ,though, and it would be interesting to see. Like someone already mentioned in this thread this LaraX upgrade is probably the best time to swap bodies completely if someone actually wants to. Lots of old content going to become unusable apparently, and very likely updates for all current new bodies/sizes will follow shortly for some of it at least. If droppping a few thousands of L$ on a body of their choice instead of sticking to the "good old Lara with a facelift" is not a problem, then it really is the best time from now to a few months after it's released.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

but as seen on this very example, being widely grabbed by new users (Genus free head) doesn't mean more content being made. It has been a while since I saw any decent skin creator releasing non EvoX skin or addon. Which makes sense, most of those freebie hunters are unlikely to actually buy stuff

That's a good reason. Add to this that Genus Strong, according to Lucia Nightifire's today stats, is only 7.2% of the heads (females and males) and the sum of all the Genus heads is < 10%, while the sum of all the Lelutka heads is definitively more, about 44% (the rest is 13% Catwa and a bunch of various, less popular, brands: Akeruka, Logo, Vista, etc). Still, they aren't few, also Lelutka has an Evo-mode too, that's somewhat compatible with other old skins; but costumers would likely buy skins and makeups for their new heads.

Another example is the female Meshbody Classic (that's basically Legacy with a different shape and it's free): according to Lucia's stats, it is the 4th most popular female body, it's not so far from the female Meshbody Legacy, and yet almost nobody makes outfits for it, but few:
#1 : Maitreya - Lara : 149834 : 31.3%
#2 : Signature - Gianni : 33286 : 6.9%
#3 : Belleza - Jake : 26618 : 5.5%
#4 : eBODY - Reborn : 24538 : 5.1%
#5 : MeshBody - Legacy (Female) : 23408 : 4.9%
#6 : MeshBody - Classic (Female) : 18132 : 3.7%
#7 : MeshBody - Legacy (Athletic Male) : 16066 : 3.3%
#8 : MeshBody - Legacy (Male) : 14530 : 3.0%
#9 : Inithium - Kupra : 14053 : 2.9%
#10 : LucyBody - Atenea : 12451 : 2.6%
#11 : MeshBody - Classic (Male) : 11244 : 2.3%
#12 : MeshBody - Legacy Perky : 9492 : 1.9%
#13 : Niramyth - Aesthetic Mesh Body : 7515 : 1.5%
#14 : Belleza - Freya : 6992 : 1.4%

To be fair, though, Lara X for free is going to be delivered to whom purchased Maitreya Lara (as a free "update"), so they aren't necessarily people who only look for freebies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

2nd is Avalon, and it never was free. It's just that generic and thus become most popular. It's still good, very good, but after it got as popular as it is I'd never really suggest it to anyone, because as versatile heads Lelutka makes and as much difference skins and addons add you can still always look around and say "Yep, that's Avalon, and there's 15 more of them nearby right now".

Yep, I can't remember where i saw it (perhaps Virtual Secrets, the National Enquirer of SL?), someone said that the LeLutka Avalon is the new Catwa Catya, LOL!

Seriously, it has been fascinating to watch LeLutka slowly replace Catwa as THE mesh head brand on the grid. Giving away free mesh heads these past three Christmases has been a savvy marketing move.

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, SueWorthly said:

That's a good reason. Add to this that Genus Strong, according to Lucia Nightifire's today stats, is only 7.2% of the heads (females and males) and the sum of all the Genus heads is < 10%, while the sum of all the Lelutka heads is definitively more, about 44% (the rest is 13% Catwa and a bunch of various, less popular, brands: Akeruka, Logo, Vista, etc). Still, they aren't few, also Lelutka has an Evo-mode too, that's somewhat compatible with other old skins; but costumers would likely buy skins and makeups for their new heads.

Another example is the female Meshbody Classic (that's basically Legacy with a different shape and it's free): according to Lucia's stats, it is the 4th most popular female body, it's not so far from the female Meshbody Legacy, and yet almost nobody makes outfits for it, but few:

To be fair, though, Lara X for free is going to be delivered to whom purchased Maitreya Lara (as a free "update"), so they aren't necessarily people who only look for freebies.

Oh wow, look at Reborn go!

The Genus head was kind of a starter head to me, and helped me figure out how to use a mesh head, but once I tried a Lelutka I was hooked. Ironically, the Lilly, which I paid full price for because I missed the giveaway for it. 🤣 But it had the look I wanted.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SueWorthly said:

I wonder why, of the free bodies, Mesh Body Classic still outranks LucyBody Atenea, despite there being far more clothing available that fits LucyBody Atenea? Do people like the TMP shape better or do they just not know about LucyBody?

Also notice that aside from Belleza Jake, Belleza barely makes the top 14 with Freya, and their Gen X bodies aren't even listed. I keep saying they should make Venus free to draw in newbies and freebie hunters, as Legacy apparently did with their older bodies. If Legacy can reclaim their market share after everyone bashed their old TMP brand, Belleza could do the same with a similar marketing strategy. 

Better yet, make *both* Venus and Isis free, since no one is buying those bodies anyway.

p.s.

It's interesting to see that Signature Gianni outranks Belleza Jake. Is this a new development?

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add p.s.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I wonder why, of the free bodies, Mesh Body Classic still outranks LucyBody Atenea, despite there being far more clothing available that fits LucyBody Atenea? Do people like the TMP shape better or do they just not know about LucyBody?

Total guess, but 250L for BOM + having to wait at least a day would be my guess.

Even Erika Zero/Plus would be easier to shop for than TMP, but that being available is a relatively new development.

29 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It's interesting to see that Signature Gianni outranks Belleza Jake. Is this a new development?

Not sure if it's new, but for a while there, Gianni was all over the place. Still kind of is, really. I don't think Davis really took off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

No, Gianni has pretty much always been ahead of Jake, as far as I can remember anyway. Some creators dropped Gianni (I've heard some say it's more difficult to rig for than Jake, but I don't know whether that's true), including a lot of stores that are at events - so Jake may seem more popular, but in reality it really isn't. 

It's just like those creators dropping Maitreya. It makes people think it's in decline, but in reality it hasn't even been a question of competition - Maitreya just is the most widely used body around.

Oh well, as a consumer and user of both Maitreya and Gianni all I can do is shrug and say 'fine, I'll spend my L$ elsewhere'. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think TMP classic has a couple of things going for it, its well known and you can get it straight away no need to wait however long for the midnight mania that's it. When I last touched the body while the shape was acceptable the mesh wasn't so well made at ground level there were clear gaps and breaks. Plus non of the customisation options for the free in-house clobber could be accessed by the TMP classic hud. As much as I prefer Lucybody i think the cost of making it BoM might put people off 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

No, Gianni has pretty much always been ahead of Jake, as far as I can remember anyway. Some creators dropped Gianni (I've heard some say it's more difficult to rig for than Jake, but I don't know whether that's true), including a lot of stores that are at events - so Jake may seem more popular, but in reality it really isn't. 

It's just like those creators dropping Maitreya. It makes people think it's in decline, but in reality it hasn't even been a question of competition - Maitreya just is the most widely used body around.

Oh well, as a consumer and user of both Maitreya and Gianni all I can do is shrug and say 'fine, I'll spend my L$ elsewhere'. 

I have both Gianni and Jake for my guy alt, but I prefer dad-bod Jake and the similar HUD to my Freya body. I don't spend much on him, but when I've bought skins they were for Jake and when I buy clothes, they include both Jake and Gianni sizes. I haven't seen a big drop in support for Gianni, though Jake and Legacy seem slightly more popular for creators.

With 3 Maitreya bodies, for Persephone and my 2 female alts, I do buy some Maitreya skins and clothes, mostly for Alycia. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Gianni's devkit is rather awful indeed.

As for the rest, checking the trending tab is more useful as usual than the total numbers as it has avatars wearing some bodies long long time ago. Last 180 days had +1365 new Gianni detections, +2562 Jake's, +2634 Legacy Athletic's and +2105 regular Legacy Male's. Considering that both Legacy male bodies are almost identical and fit 99% of the same clothing those can be combined. Actually quite impressive considering that Jake is at permanent 50% sale since last October, while with an exception of a couple of sales Legacy bodies are 5k.

Can't blame people, though, personal preferences and all, but out of those 3 bodies I'd choose Legacy as well. Never liked Gianni's shape, and Jake's bubble butt (same for all Belleza bodies, new and old) and a creator behind it is... even worse than TMP's team, somehow. But that's the stuff for VS, not those forums.

So as far as new users/alts are considered, Gianni is pretty far behind and new avatars/alts buy and shop for Legacy bodies 3.4x times as much. And, of course, new avatars/alts are going to shop way more, because they don't have the basics yet. So more and more creators dropping it is a very expected outcome.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Oh wow, look at Reborn go!

The Genus head was kind of a starter head to me, and helped me figure out how to use a mesh head, but once I tried a Lelutka I was hooked. Ironically, the Lilly, which I paid full price for because I missed the giveaway for it. 🤣 But it had the look I wanted.

I too bought Lilly about a month before they gave it away free, I saw someone with it and ran straight to the store. It's such a good head.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Also notice that aside from Belleza Jake, Belleza barely makes the top 14 with Freya, and their Gen X bodies aren't even listed. I keep saying they should make Venus free to draw in newbies and freebie hunters, as Legacy apparently did with their older bodies. If Legacy can reclaim their market share after everyone bashed their old TMP brand, Belleza could do the same with a similar marketing strategy. 

Better yet, make *both* Venus and Isis free, since no one is buying those bodies anyway.

p.s.

The whole Midnight Madness thing for Lucybody has to be hurting adoption... just get rid of it, give it away and continue to charge for the BOM HUD would be my recommendation but what do I know.

The whole TMP/Legacy thing just seems confusing to me, I think maybe the naming isn't helping things either... if you search for "Legacy Classic" clothes you'll find a few (and a whole lot of false positives) but... from what you're saying this actually fits clothes that are labelled TMP? I'm out of the loop on Legacy stuff in general but I suspect a lot of people are getting that body and then realizing it isn't "Legacy" and there's not much they can easily find to wear.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

The whole TMP/Legacy thing just seems confusing to me, I think maybe the naming isn't helping things either...

The legacy product of The Shops now labelled Classic used to be called TMP (The Mesh Project), their current product is called Legacy.

Confused much?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.