"Icons" on Contacts and Group Lists

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so can anyone tell me what the purpose is of those silly little Icon boxes on V2 contact lists and group lists?

They are too small to actually see anything & even if you could see more than a colourful splatt next to each name on the list, whats the point???? All they do is clutter up the lists and make the spacing between entries bigger and therefore fit less on the page so you need a huge box to see more than a couple at any one time.

I know there are lots of complaints about the UI on Viewer 2, but it is useless extra crap like this and the huge space wasting borders at the top of every window with the name on it, that make it so infuriating for a lot of people. We don`t need a massive title on our Inventory window saying Inventory, we know what it is, we just opened it!!!

LL claims that SL is not for children and they then add all this stuff to the viewer that would imply it is being used by either 5 year olds or complete morons, either way it is insulting to our intelligence.

Yeah they really did try to over simplify for the viewer2 and I think they feel as if we the users are blind. To make it worse, viewer2 comes in basic and advanced, so if a new user comes in and gets fed up that they cant do anything and quits SL all SL will say was that oops they were in basic mode and wont care about losing another member

I enable "Plain Text" mode in chat preferences to get rid of the odd line spacing. (^_^)

As for the icons, I like them.  Especially the way the cluster in the lower right of the window.  They're compact and clearly distinct enough for me to know which is which.  The orange dot appears to show me which group/IM has chatted since I last looked at the window.  To me, they're perfectly visible and very functional, even at my usual UI scale setting of 0.90. (^_^)

It's clear that you don't like it, but, that doesn't make it bad or childish by any degree.  I like it and appreciate nearly every detail in it.  Your sweeping assumptions about what's useful or not don't apply to everyone.  Clearly, not me.  I quite like the V2 UI.  You'd have to completely remove me from SL for your statements to carry much validity. (^_^)y

I didn`t mean the ones in chat, those are optional & optional is always good, because as you say different people have different tastes. It is the ones inside the contact lists and group lists that I find pointless.

You are not alone in liking some of the UI features, but that works both ways & you have to appreciate that a lot of other people don`t.

I think making stuff optional would make it more usesable for ALL users. :)

Peewee Musytari wrote:

I didn`t mean the ones in chat, those are optional & optional is always good, because as you say different people have different tastes. It is the ones inside the contact lists and group lists that I find pointless.

You are not alone in liking some of the UI features, but that works both ways & you have to appreciate that a lot of other people don`t.

I think making stuff optional would make it more usesable for ALL users.
:)

You can disable those too ^^

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Peewee Musytari wrote:

I think making stuff optional would make it more usesable for ALL users.
:)

You can disable those too ^^

How do you disable those?

Awesome, thanks Darren, thats got rid of them from one place, it didn`t get rid of them in the lists in the chat window, but I don`t think that one is down to LL, that window is a Firestorm feature so they`ll have to kill them in that one, but getting them out of that other window is a great help.

You da best!! 24.gif

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

You did notice although the icons are gone, the line spacing is still the same wasting as much space as possible? What a... :smileyvery-happy:

Hey, this is Linden Lab we are talking about, their dev team is a bunch or script kiddies who volunteer, I never said things would be half perfect :D

ETA: You can undock the window and then resize it however you disere. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.