Missing Inventory - Including Billfox Devin's Creations

Nerxual Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am Bill's wife and am missing over one-thousand items from my inventory... Billfox earns LindenLabs thousands...THOUSANDS... of dollars for you per month, but you cannot even simply store my creation data for the life of you. Why should I be forced to invest in second-inventory when your server is supposed to have redundant storage? There is no parity storage and poor customer support.... Passing off your responsibilities to other departments of SL with no regards to the information you are supposed to cache. Nerxual Oh is missing almost a thousand items from her inventory, and I want a solution sooner than later. I am a customer who makes you nearly 5 grand usdollars per month and yet I get no help from support...

@R

4 answers to this question

There are several methods you could try to retrieve or search for missing Inventory Items.

I would use Live chat or a Conceirge if I had this problem.

If Live chat cannot help, I would submit a ticket.

I've lost 1 item in 4 years.

I knew I didn't lose it, I tried searching my inventory, clearing cache, searching by date.

A week or so after filing a ticket I notice a message "repairing folders" at login and my lost item was restored.

If you would like, I can search for links and info on how a Resident can search for missing inventory.

Sorry for the delay :smileysad:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_Recovery_Steps

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Inventory-management/ta-p/700093#All_Items_vs._Recent_Items

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Inventory-management/ta-p/700093#Further_Filtering

• Like 1

There's no point griping at us.  We're all SL residents like you.  The Lindens don't come here.  :smileywink:

The chances are pretty good that your inventory problem can be cleared up by rebuilding the local copy.  All of your items are stored on LL's asset servers, but SL saves time by having your client work from a locally cached copy on your own computer.  That copy can become corrupted or otherwise out of sync with the servers' copy, however, so the solution is to clear cache and start over. 

With Second Life closed, go to the appropriate pathway and delete all the files inside the "cache" folder. You may want to save any subfolder containing logged chat or IMs.

• Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLife\cache
  • Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cache
  • Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\cache
  • Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\Cache
  • Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SecondLife\ (Viewer version 1.23.5 (136262))
  • Mac - /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/SecondLife
  • Linux - ~/.secondlife/cache

Log in to a quiet sim like Smith or Pooley and open your inventory.  Type any letter in its search field to jump start the rebuild.  Don't do anything else until it has finished... no e-mail, no appearance adjustments .... go out for coffee.  When your inventory is rebuilt, the missing items should all be there.  If they aren't, then it's time to file a support ticket and get help from LL.

• Like 1

For clearing cache and reloading inventory, Smith is a Linden Lab water sim with no objects or scripts so definitely not laggy.  However, if you have cleared cache already as you state, and the folder has not appered, your only recourse is to ask help from Support and for that you need Premium membership as already mentioned.

There is always the possibility that the folder is irretrievably lost but you will never know unless you use all means to try to recover it. Why not take out Premium membership for a month or two while Linden Lab investigates. Whether you feel this is worth it or not depends on the value to you of the lost folder.  Hope it works out for you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.