New Blender

hibit Spad

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is real fun to work with Blender 2.58 and almost everything i touched so far has improved and become more intuitive (imho).
Sadly some features are not yet fully finished, but it looks like we can hope for next release:

• Collada-support is still not fully implemented. So the problems with rigged meshes are still not fully solved.
  • And still only the full scene is stored into the Collada-files.
  • Also Blender 2.5 implements Collada-1.4.1 while SL currently only support Collada-1.4 (but i guess LL is working on it)

I am positively looking forward into the near future ;-)

• Like 1

Hi all,

Good news indeed.  Better news is that they have assigned a GSOC student to look at the COLLADA export issues raised by many in regard to armatures (NODE-JOINT in COLLADA speak).  If anything comes of that is another question :-)

On 1.41 vs 1.4 ..the press release from Khronos contains this

"July 05, 2006 COLLADA 1.4.1 is an update to the COLLADA 1.4.0 XML Schema namespace. The update fixes issues reported by users without adding new features and is backward compatible with the existing 1.4.0 schema..."

So in theory they should be compatible. Normal mesh seems fine so far when exported from Blender2.58.    I think the rigging issues come from how blender interprets the armature when converting. The older 2.49b exporter seems to export armatures with NO rotations in the avatar description.  ie: Uses translations only to describe the NODES of the skeleton.  Blender 2.5x seems to export with rotations as if each node is a vector that has to be pointed in the right direction explicitly.

Cho ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.