Second Life Hardware History: does anyone know anything about the hardware that powered Second Life in the early days (2003 possibly)?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Tech,

I find the history of virtual worlds to be pretty fascinating and SL obviously has a huge, ongoing part in that entire story but I find myself especially fascinated with early services and the history of how a product like SL was brought to life and the technology that enabled it.

Specifically I'm curious (and in the hope that maybe a Linden might chime in with some interesting information) about the servers that powered that initial era of Second Life. I know Linden Labs hosted their own servers until relatively recently and obviously kept adding and upgrading to scale with demand but how did it start? I assume on a relatively modest shoestring.

Anyone got any information?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

If I remember correctly they ran on AMD Opteron CPUs back then.

Ohh! that would seem likely.

I just found this video of Philip Rosedale talking about the hardware but I'm not sure when it is from, I'm guessing maybe during the 2007 sort of boom for SL though given the numbers he is quoting

• Thanks 1

in the beginning SL was run by Linden potato farmers working at the Linden Potato Farm

SL is still run by Linden potato farmers today but who are now working at the Amazon Potato Farm, annnnnd the Linden potato farmers pay Amazon to work at the Amazon Potato Farm, kinda like potato sharecroppers

so still potatoes it seems, I think, maybe, somehow :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Thank you! so from what I can gather this was about the upgrade from whatever was originally running Second Life.

they no longer have a physical data center location, which was in arizona,  now they are in aws out of oregon.

• Like 2

In the good old days, before spreading out to three datacenters...  I can still hear the noise of all the various machines stacked in the hallways!  Most had AMD CPUs in them because "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.