delivery failures out of control

Josh Susanto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most of my buyers are not having delivery problems, but those who do are having MANY.

In one case, I'm showing 11 items failed to deliver from 10 orders, all for one buyer.

In another case, 9 items not delivered from 6 orders.

And there's more.

Seriously, LL... WTF???

I normally get no more than 3 delivery problems a day.

Am I supposed to believe that 5 different buyers just incidentally set themselves busy all at the same time?

And why does most of a multi-item order actually tend to go through?

Why do failed orders from specific buyers alternate (randomly?) with successful orders?

What's less unlikely...  that 5 random users around the world are all getting high at once, or that one hippie in San Francisco is "distracted with thoughts of Burning Man"?

To be fair, though, I pretty much expected this would happen at some point, because it's one of the things that would be necessary if they ever intend to persuade me that Direct Delivery couldn't possibly be any worse than continuing with the existing system.

Hey Josh! How many copies of each of your magic boxes do you have inworld? You need backups running of each box to ensure deliveries connect. Your backup magic boxes should be running on a different region for each layer of redundancy. I go with a 4-layer redundancy & ever since I adopted this I have essentially zero delivery problems :matte-motes-asleep-2:

Josh Susanto wrote:

Most of my buyers are not having delivery problems, but those who do are having MANY.

In one case, I'm showing 11 items failed to deliver from 10 orders, all for one buyer.

And there's more.

Seriously, LL... WTF???

If it seems specific to individual people that impies a problem with the delivery at their end rather than the Marketplace itself. It could be, for example, that they are on particularly laggy sims.

I'm just guessing based on what you are saying, but I don't think a solution lies in anything you can do with your magic box etc. I think it's something those specific customers need to do. It would probably be best for those customers to contact support to investigate their situation. If you were feeling like a good samaritan you could also contact them and perhaps test some deliveries with them in a different location.

It would also be interesting to know whether they are experiencing delivery problems all the time from different merchants.

Have they actually contacted you btw? I'd would hope someone who has had 11 failed deliveries from you would have contected you by now?! 

>Hey Josh! How many copies of each of your magic boxes do you have inworld? You need backups running of each box to ensure deliveries connect. Your backup magic boxes should be running on a different region for each layer of redundancy. I go with a 4-layer redundancy & ever since I adopted this I have essentially zero delivery problems **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/html/assets/emoticons/mattemotes/asleep_2.png" border="0" alt=":matte-motes-asleep-2:" title="" />

Respectfully, this is something that you only imagine you really know anything about.

In fact, I have studied the issue for over a year, and I have compelling numerical evidence to the effect that delivery failures are buyer-specific and have NOTHING to do with how many boxes we have, where they are rezzed, or what is in them.

In fact, I have had well over 200 items in the same single box for over 6 months and have maintained a delivery rate well over 99%... until today.

In fact, I have over 600 items in the box, and it has has been delivering just fine for serveral days during which I have not added anything to it.... until today.

In fact, I recently posted elsewhere the point that I was not having any delivery failures, even as people with multiple boxes, who do everything according to be book, were griping about multiple delivery failures.

There are other reasons to consider multiple boxes, but the avoidance of delivery failures just isn't one of them.

People who have not tested the bullsh## advice they have been getting about multiple boxes need to stop propagating what they think they know.

If everybody knows something because everybody knows it, then nobody knows it.

(It would also be interesting to know whether they are experiencing delivery problems all the time from different merchants.)

(Have they actually contacted you btw? I'd would hope someone who has had 11 failed deliveries from you would have contected you by now?! )

That's an excellent point. NONE of them have complained to me yet. Assuming that any of them can get logged on to complain (maybe they can't?), the fact that they haven't complained to me would seem to suggest that they don't see the problem as specific to my service.

They could have complained or yet be complaining to LL, but none of them showed as logged on when I manually delivered their merchandise at no cost (heck, yes, I do that.)

Josh,

I seldom have delivery issues either, however today I had one person that purchased 4 items total (1 from me and 3 from others). My item failed to deliver. In fact the Magic Box never even tried. The customer then re-ordered two items (the 1 from me that failed and I suspect another 1 that failed from their prior order). Mine succeeded but the other failed.

I don't think this was a Marketplace or Magic Box failure. I think this was strictly a user error. I'd be willing to bet they were having bad lag issues, connection issues and probably weren't getting IMs either. However I wasn't able to log in and ask them so I don't know for sure.

Anytime things are running smoothly and then one person has repeated failures, years in troubleshooting and tech support have taught me that the one person is also the cause. In all fairness, it's probably nothing they are "doing" .. it's more likely they just have a bad connection, their viewer is having issues or their kids are playing WoW on the home network and they have no bandwidth left.

600 items in one box...

That's no a problem in itself - a script can find the right item out of >1000 just fine, but that becomes a major bottleneck if a whole lot of orders are coming at once.

Every delivery has an inherent delay because of the communication processes involved (I've explained this in detail elsewhere and not going into it again). If one person buys 10 things all those deliveries are going to be queued to one box and have a greater chance of getting lost.

It's not that hard. Just put out more damn boxes or stop whining.

I'm not going to pay to put out more boxes while people who are doing everything right are reporting similar "bottlenecks", especially while my own stuff, often at the exact same time, happens to be delivering just fine at record high delivery rates. 

What you suggest has no empirical support and is rooted in your blind obedience to instructions which demonstrably do not work for other people any more reliably than failure to follow them has worked for me.

Moreover, the anomaly has passed. 

At this rate, griping once a year about having to make 20+ manual correction deliveries in one day is still a lot less work than trying to figure out why multiple boxes still won't deliver any better than one box.

Wherever possible, I prefer to let the system work for me rather than working for the system.

When deliveries fail, the system fails to work for me, but at least I haven't become some kind of indentured box farmer.

waves to Josh :) I'm a box farmer (lol, great term). I've got 12 boxes for 375 items. I still have failures every so often. Last week was bad with regard to one particular line of products. I even singled them out into their own box (a whopping 12 items, only 9 of which are actually listed), did all the things I'm supposed to (reboxed them, renamed them, placed them in a new magic box, placed dual boxes on separate sims, resynced, reset, etc), and still had failures. The failures finally stopped when I added a message on the listings saying basically the delivery for that item was unreliable for reasons unknown, and, well, it solved the problem --> killed the sales on that product 100%.

Dakota has tried to help me, people here in the forums have all tried to help, but it's still a mystery as to why that particular line of products was having so many problems all of a sudden (they were delivering just fine up til a week ago). Sadly, they were a very strong seller for me. Not any more. They don't sell now, so they don't fail to deliver now :(

Suella Ember wrote:

Josh Susanto wrote:

And there's more.

Seriously, LL... WTF???

If it seems specific to individual people that impies a problem with the delivery at their end rather than the Marketplace itself. It could be, for example, that they are on particularly laggy sims.

Just today, I had two alts try to buy my items.  One item in particular failed 5 times between the two alts.  They were able to buy other items with no problem and very fast delivery.  I double checked the problem item, it is priced right, the perms are set right, it is obviously showing up on the marketplace, and it is in MULTIPLE MAGIC BOXES.

So, I dont think in this situation at least it has anything to do with the buyer... not a clue how to fix it.

Eva

that's what was plaguing me last week with one particular group of products. As noted above and in other posts in the forums, I tried everything to get them working again. finally in desperation, I put the note on the listing letting shoppers know there were issues with that item. so the sales basically stopped. I removed the note 2 days ago and now, suddenly, I've had 2 successful deliveries of the product (lol, not much, but headed in the right direction).

No matter what I did, I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

I used to think that specific products were more problematic in my case, but the "pattern" receded into statistical noise almost as quickly as it seemed to emerge.

Most of my products contain very little data, though.

Has any of you here observed whether there's any correlation between delivery failure rates and things like price, number of prims, data on the contents tabs of the items, or whether the item is scripted, etc.?

No correlation for me at all. Mine are all unscripted clothing items (except for the occasional resizer). Usually about 20-22 pieces per box. Price point is right in there with my average price point. I thought there was a correlation last week between this product and gifting (one person tried to gift it 5 times to the same recipient over a period of about 5 days and failed every time; when I gifted to my store alt it failed; and other gifts failed. BUT then there were one or two times when it was not a gift and it failed, or was successful. It looked consistent for a bit there, then broke the pattern). Now it has mysteriously started to deliver successfully again (so far no one has tried to gift it, these successes are only a buyer sending to themselves). As mentioned, up until this wierd period, it was delivering just fine.

oh Josh, you make me chuckle with each response. Didn't add any more boxes, didn't change anything since I tried all the fixes last week and things still failed. Basically, just waited it out, kind of like one of those freak storms that hits and then the sky clears and is bright and sunny again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.