How can I best stick it to my old landlord, who didn't pay their fees, costing me my home ?

Healing Enzo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I leased 1/8th of Sinners Paradise from Furcity Rentals. I paid my lease up to 07/09/2011. But it seems my landlord didn't pay their RL fees and the land was reclaimed from them.

I lost about 300-400 hours building work (over 6 months, I've leased there) - a gorgeous private home as well as my rent money. I am seriously ticked. Mad as hell, etc. What I would really like to do is shut these people down in a legitimate manner.

Ideas ?

6 answers to this question

I'd be mad too, and it is really grim that your money and time investment got trampled like that.  Unfortunately this does happen from time to time and you've been really unlucky.  As regards shutting the people down, who in essence did not keep their side of the rental contract with you, there is little you can do, except know that they will feel like they have lost a whole lot more, land and self-respect for getting into such a pickle that they couldn't pay their RL fees.  It's probable that they had their account suspended for a period of time too. 

Please put this down to experience, and I hope you have better luck with your next landlord. You might be better off considering buying an eighth of a sim of mainland, and then you will be sure your fees get to the right place on time, without any nasty surprises.

Good luck.  That is not a common problem in SL, but it happens often enough that those of us who have been in world for long enough have heard of it many times.  A friend of mine lost quite a bit of money under similar ciorcumstances a couple of years ago.  I wish I could say something encouraging, but LL typically does not get involved in disputes between residents unless there is a TOS violation involved.  You can file an AR if you wish, being as factual and dispassionate as you can under the circumstances.  LL will acknowledge receipt of your report but will not tell you the outcome of any investigation or followup action. 

If the sim was reclaimed, your items should have been returned automatically.  If they are not in your inventory Lost & Found folder (probably as a single coalesced object), then you can file a support ticket at https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/, asking LL to recover the objects for you.

Seriously? "Stick it to" him/her? Not much you can do. This would fall under resident disputes, something LL is loathe to involve themselves in.

If, as you say, your landlord lost his/her sim, you can rest peacefully knowing that he/she lost something that he/she paid up to 1K USD (or more) for.

P.S. How exactly did you "lose" 300-400 hours of building work? Were your builds not returned to you???

Oh wow!!  I've never met anyone who was vindictive that was also a nice person.  And, you, sir, are vindictive.  You do not know the circumstances surrounding your landlords defaulting on his/her estate.  All you know is that you are pissed off and you want revenge.  Here's the facts.  You chose to rent over purchasing your own land from Linden Lab.  By making that choice you put yourself in a position where you had to depend on someone else to maintain the land that you rented and that requires a level of risk on your part.  Did it occur to you that the landlord might have encountered some real life crisis that needed his/her attention more than anything in SL.  Do you think your old landlord deliberately defaulted on a rather sizable real monetary investment?  Do you know the real dollar amount your landlord paid out monthly?  His/her upfront cost?  You lost some prims, you lost some 300-400 hours of your time (and really, how many of those hours were hard?  I bet most, if not all, of those hours were for your pleasure..........not work at all).  You also lost a few L$........at 250 to 1 USD.  And you want revenge.

I would say have a good life..........but miserable people don't know how to do that.

It is ok to be mad as hell and I'm sure plenty of Residents would be if in your situation.

If LL reclaimed your former Landlord's land he or she has plenty of worries of their own.

If you subleased from a Resident who was leasing the land from another Resident (and that Residents still owns the land) you should file an Abuse Report.

As mentioned,

Any builds you had on the property should have been returned to your Lost and Found Folder. If not, contact the current owner to request your items, if LL submit a ticket.

I never pay more than a week in advance, things change, new tenants move in, plenty of unpredictables.

You should remove any names from your comment or it may be censored.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.