'Note giver' for joining groups

Bob Botanical

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

The only way I know to do this (and I've never done this myself) is by using a bot. If it's a closed, invitation only group, the bot can just send a notecard along with the invitation and let recipients get the notecard before they accept the invitation. If that's a problem, or if it's an open group, the bot would regularly scan all the group members to detect who is new and then send them a notecard.

The sending a notecard part is trivial to do by script, no bot required, but knowing who to send it to is a real problem. Lab developers are very shy/superstitious/paranoid about letting scripts interact with groups in practically any way, leaving a huge gap for anybody trying to use SL as a social platform without kludging a bot to do even the simplest things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The only way I know to do this (and I've never done this myself) is by using a bot. If it's a closed, invitation only group, the bot can just send a notecard along with the invitation and let recipients get the notecard before they accept the invitation. If that's a problem, or if it's an open group, the bot would regularly scan all the group members to detect who is new and then send them a notecard.

The sending a notecard part is trivial to do by script, no bot required, but knowing who to send it to is a real problem. Lab developers are very shy/superstitious/paranoid about letting scripts interact with groups in practically any way, leaving a huge gap for anybody trying to use SL as a social platform without kludging a bot to do even the simplest things.

Interesting that after all these years, there's no support for "actions on Join Group".  Even just a viewer Group setup dialog that says "send this message and give this folder"! (No LSL or Bots would be required.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.