New Feature: Scripted Agent Estate Access Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

we should burn it, sorry did not mean to type that out loud.. I guess I could make this back on topic I have few edits left one moment please...processing

I got it.

Thank you to LL/SL/Land Team for making this happen. A secure virtual world with out rogue accounted for and unaccounted for bots is coming to an end. Bravo I think that does make sense... processing please wait...

Thank you to LL/SL/Land Team for making this happen. Because of your efforts our virtual world will be more secure. The time of rogue bots, accounted for and un accounted is coming to an end, thankfully not only here but in the real world.  

was da vinci trying to tell us that something terrible is trapped within the sphere, glitched made it get stuck in a cube and if it is released it will literally be impossible to get the sphere back into the cube because the sphere is too large, hence pandora's box. oddly this reminds me of lore i've read in world. about a noob that will use prims to cause end times or to do something odd, whom ever wrote that knew what was up. You can't fit a large sphere inside a slightly smaller cube unless there are many spheres or cubes and their paths become excited and they start behaving differently and then if you freeze physics you can capture it. He knew how to freeze physics, he knew how to trap glitches, if this is a prophecy coming to pass it need to be taken very seriously, this is a very dire warning. When they attack glitch them. 

Edited by benchthis

I think, the fact the discussion has abated, means most on the Forum have moved beyond denial and anger, to some form of acceptance over the change.

I can't speak for those "newcomers" to the Forum who apparently only care about this topic, but they are quiet too.

Conclusion: The new Scripted Agent controls are a qualified success!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Conclusion: The new Scripted Agent controls are a qualified success!!

I imagine that the 6 or 8 newly created bots that dropped in on my land over the last couple of days (and not counting the old regulars) will wholeheartedly agree.

Or more serious, now I'd like to have some tools made available to mainland users. As I have to use a scripted solution for my lands anyway with more than 540 known roaming bots and new hordes popping up every other couple of days I'd really love to have the scripted agent status accessible to lsl.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CarlaWetter said:

I'd really love to have the scripted agent status accessible to lsl.

Great idea! We can then make or get security devices that deal with (registered) Scripted Agents, even WITHOUT Parcel Level controls!!!

Why does this sound like a new idea? I guess the focus on Estate and Parcel-level controls. Hard to tell what's on-topic, but it sure sounds related to the thread topic, to me!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Great idea! We can then make or get security devices that deal with (registered) Scripted Agents, even WITHOUT Parcel Level controls!!!

Why does this sound like a new idea? I guess the focus on Estate and Parcel-level controls. Hard to tell what's on-topic, but it sure sounds related to the thread topic, to me!

Well, I had thought of it for quite some time.  However, I wanted it to be offered for free.  IMO, if it isn't offered for free, it could seem like a money-grubbing set-up by the bots themselves.  I.E., now we have to *buy* protection from them.  That seems "scammy" so I didn't know how it could be assured for free.

It must somehow remain free, such as no security orbs with bot protection selling on MP or anywhere.

Edited by EliseAnne85

I think mostly everyone has said what they wanted to say, and repeated it as many times as they wanted to repeat it, and well.. that is the end.

From here we just hurl insults at one another, or just repeat ourselves, perhaps we just go off topic.. alternatively, we wait for a new thread and repeat the same things we have said in this thread. 

So anyway, how's 'bout them Braves?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

that would be neat i'd wear a watch to let me know if a bot was near me. but then the bot would hack my watch and I would never know. nm

Edited by benchthis

11 minutes ago, benchthis said:

that would be neat i'd wear a watch to let me know if a bot was near me. 

That really wouldn't tell you much. Any object in the region you're in, or any avatar in the region you're in, could be gathering the same data that the nearby bot was. This point has already been made in this thread, but regardless, people somehow believe bots have magical or dangerous powers.

I'm sorry, but this is a good example of botphobia. In this case it is believing that knowing if there is one near you somehow allows you to protect yourself from it.

"Protect yourself from what?" would be my question.

Edited by M Peccable
  • Like 3

Maybe we should have Bot as a last name option.
(In NL we had a minister named Ben Bot  some years ago).

Great possibilities:
No Bot
Clueless Bot
Harmless Bot
Undercover Bot
Ab Bot

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Maybe we should have Bot as a last name option.
(In NL we had a minister named Ben Bot  some years ago).

as cool as that sounds, likely cause virtual unrest. Bot Fly :( 

Edited by benchthis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, M Peccable said:

Any object in the region you're in, or any avatar in the region you're in, could be gathering the same data that the nearby bot was.

It doesn't even have to be in the same region, I can set my draw distance to 1024 and see everyone in several regions on my minimap. I think there are about 52 regions displaying in my minimap right now, with all of the dots of every avatar listed, with a right click their profiles are visible if I want to see who is in any one of them.  

There are 26 avatars listed in my people tab, none of which are in the region I am sitting in at this time.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

It doesn't even have to be in the same region, I can set my draw distance to 1024 and see everyone in several regions on my minimap. I think there are about 52 regions displaying in my minimap right now, with all of the dots of every avatar listed, with a right click their profiles are visible if I want to see who is in any one of them.  

There are 26 avatars listed in my people tab, none of which are in the region I am sitting in at this time.

That's true, but there are many script calls that work only if the object or avatar you are trying to scrape data from is in the same region as the script.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No, I don't think it is a good idea to have security orbs.  Let alone not everyone in SL knows how to make things.

Then, we could have sellers all over MP and elsewhere selling security orbs at gawd knows what prices.  Yeah sure, like what 1200 linden security orb made with a free LSL script to deny_bots popping up everywhere or anywhere selling on MP or inworld.  No thanks!  

If Caspervend could possibly put deny_bots in their rental vendors or something that might be a good idea but I cannot speak for Caspervend.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

6 minutes ago, M Peccable said:

That's true, but there are many script calls that work only if the object or avatar you are trying to scrape data from is in the same region as the script.

Yep, but a viewer could perform a scrape without the need of lsl scripts.  All of that data can be gathered regardless, so having a parcel or even a region on the mainland kicking bots out is not going to protect people from it regardless.  It is probably why LL made it a feature of the estate instead of parcels or regions.

14 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

sounds like you live in the matrix..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Yep, but a viewer could perform a scrape without the need of lsl scripts.  All of that data can be gathered regardless, so having a parcel or even a region on the mainland kicking bots out is not going to protect people from it regardless.  It is probably why LL made it a feature of the estate instead of parcels or regions.

You wrote "probably why" though.

So, we don't know this for 100% sure.  

Hmmmmmm...?

Shouldn't they perhaps have released a statement if that were true?  

Just now, EliseAnne85 said:

You wrote "probably why" though.

So, we don't know this for 100% sure.  

Hmmmmmm...?

Shouldn't they perhaps have released a statement if that were true?  

If a viewer can be modified to scrape your profile?  It wouldn't take much for a creative person to dump all of the data from their viewer if they modified it to do so, I mean, if I can see your profile from four regions away, then technically I could have the viewer perform the same thing at a much faster rate than I can.  

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

If a viewer can be modified to scrape your profile?  It wouldn't take much for a creative person to dump all of the data from their viewer if they modified it to do so, I mean, if I can see your profile from four regions away, then technically I could have the viewer perform the same thing at a much faster rate than I can.  

Okay, let's say this is true...what are you going to do with my data?

My main thing is I don't want you popping into my home or IMing me with spam.  So, if you don't do that, I'm not a worry profile-wise (but my friends might not like it), but what will you do with my data?

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Okay, let's say this is true...what are you going to do with my data?

My main thing is I don't want you popping into my home or IMing me with spam.  So, if you don't do that, I'm not a worry profile-wise (but my friends might not like it), but what will you do with my data?

That appears to be the main concern of a lot of people, I don't really want any of the data myself.  I don't personally own any bots, unless you count the manually controlled second avatar I sometimes bring along with me for keeping my boat from being returned to me when I want to fish, or see something I want to explore off in the distance 🙃

What others would want with that data is really left to the imagination, perhaps to stalk others, to build huge lists of avatars and provide a service on the web, who knows?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.