SUGGESTION - more avatar information.

Ren Float

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure where to post this. I looked at the JIRA site, but I didn't see any place to post suggestions.

There are times when I, intentionally, am on more than one dance HUD. I would like a way to tell whose HUD is controlling me at that moment. Similarly, I would like to know the name of the animation being used.

8 hours ago, Ren Float said:

I'm not sure where to post this. I looked at the JIRA site, but I didn't see any place to post suggestions.

There are times when I, intentionally, am on more than one dance HUD. I would like a way to tell whose HUD is controlling me at that moment. Similarly, I would like to know the name of the animation being used.

ask the hud creator? or write down what hud you clicked.

or be more resource friendly for the region and yourself, wear only what you use.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

• Moles
9 hours ago, Ren Float said:

Navigate to the JIRA start page https://jira.secondlife.com and click the Create button at the top of the page (or type "c" without the quote marks).

This opens a new "Create Issue" window.   Set the project to "BUG" and the issue type to "New Feature Request" using the drop-down menus, complete the form and hit "Create" in the bottom right corner when you're finished.

c07f46acf700e266fd20c1397a1158c1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Ren Float said:

This is, kind of, the responsability of each HUD maker. It's by their design choice whether or not their product can indicate these things.

It's more likely that these HUD makers will implement such a feature, than that LL will make changes to SL - at the risk of breaking other things.

• Like 1

I'm a little concerned how these HUDs can peacefully coexist without sometimes playing anims at the same time, and unless those particular anims are specially crafted and synchronized, they can very easily produce unintended/ugly/humorous combinations of joint positions. So maybe these HUDs are designed to work together?

About seeing which anims are playing, there's a built-in function that's relevant but pretty much useless: From the "Develop" menu, "Avatar", turning on the "Animation Info" option will put a whole list of all the animations playing on all avatars in view, along with their priorities. The problem is, they're mostly listed by UUID, not by name. And long, long ago, in a fit of IP protection, it was made extremely difficult to figure out what key belongs to which non-full-perm anim.

I don't know if any of the ultra-IP-overkill animators are still around or paying attention to the Jira, but if they are, they'd be apt to fuss about any useful suggestion.

I think there may be a kludgy workaround using the script function llGetAnimationList() in an object with all the anims of interest and an avatar that doesn't mind looking very silly for a while. Maybe somebody has already written that script, I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ren Float said:

These sound like fairly reasonable requests.

For "whose HUD is controlling me", that may be something like: "Please add a viewer feature to optionally show the name of the object which I granted Animation permissions to, and the name of the object's owner".

For "the name of the animation being used", that may be something like: "Please add a viewer feature to optionally show the name of the current animation being run by my Avatar (possibly only when the animation is being run by another user's objects)".

Adding these as "viewer" options means, it would be "universal".  

Adding these as "scripting options" means, separate HUDs / Attachments would need to run new LSL functions to show the information.

Wow, I see a lot of use-cases for this.  Like, if you become the victim of a practical joke ("Why am I acting like a chicken?"), or you want to know who is controlling your RLV, etc.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

What I was hoping for was that these could be added to the avatar properties, which could make them easily discernible.

These could then be added to the viewer as options to be displayed as desired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ren Float said:

SMH... I have no idea how to quote - I thought putting a check next to "Quote" would do it, but obviously not. I was replying to Quartz Mole/

click on the "quote" at the btm of the message :) 

770337480e7c1bb9fe396f1f05e3fb45.png

it will put the txt in a quote window in a new message. With clicking in the quoted part you can erase the parts you don''t want, or leave it as is, and put your reply under the quoted "window"

31 minutes ago, Ren Float said:

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

What I was hoping for was that these could be added to the avatar properties, which could make them easily discernible.

These could then be added to the viewer as options to be displayed as desired.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if you wanted them added to the viewer, or as scripting options for people who create HUDs. 

3 hours ago, Ren Float said:

SMH... I have no idea how to quote - I thought putting a check next to "Quote" would do it, but obviously not. I was replying to Quartz Mole/

In addition to Alwin's reply, you can click the '+' to the left of QUOTE to collect a group of quotes. When reading through a long thread it is handy. With each post, you want to reply to, click the "+'. When you reach the end there will be a "Quote popup" in the lower right area of the page. Click it to have it insert all the posts into your 'single' reply. You can type in the blank space between each inserted quote. You can also edit the quotes deleting or coloring parts as you wish.

Isn't there an animation information display in the developer menu? I forgot what it's called. Don't know how to figure out which HUD is controlling you. It's possible to have animations running on your avatar from both HUDs at the same time but one has a higher priority over the other or one started playing after the other. 

• Like 2

Firestorm has "Animation Explorer" in the World menu. It says what object is animating you and whether current or stopped within the last 60 secs.  It doesn't show who owns the object - that's something you could maybe raise with the Firestorm dev team to get added in to the Anim Explorer panel.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 8:10 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

This is, kind of, the responsability of each HUD maker. It's by their design choice whether or not their product can indicate these things.

It's more likely that these HUD makers will implement such a feature, than that LL will make changes to SL - at the risk of breaking other things.

Tracking who has permissions in a way that allows you to easily display it to them specifically would actually be very difficult to do for a lot of scripts, especially something like a public dance machine, I think. Experiences may have a way, but even then it's not a simple function.

In a single use item like a chair or hud it's really straightforward and usually a good idea, but other than that it'd be easier for each avatar to track their own on the viewer side probably.

Edited by Paul Hexem

One heads-up: I think this may involve a little more than keeping track of which objects play animations on the avatar. I noticed that the Firestorm "Animation Explorer" wasn't showing any of the animations played by my scripted AO, which puzzled me at first. Now I think the reason is that my AO doesn't itself play animations, but rather uses llSetAnimationOverride (a library function introduced long after Firestorm got its client-side AO). I haven't tested this theory, and even if it's correct, a viewer must know which object told it how to override animation states, but it may be just a bit of extra logic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

One heads-up: I think this may involve a little more than keeping track of which objects play animations on the avatar. I noticed that the Firestorm "Animation Explorer" wasn't showing any of the animations played by my scripted AO, which puzzled me at first. Now I think the reason is that my AO doesn't itself play animations, but rather uses llSetAnimationOverride (a library function introduced long after Firestorm got its client-side AO). I haven't tested this theory, and even if it's correct, a viewer must know which object told it how to override animation states, but it may be just a bit of extra logic.

That's interesting, I thought "other people's objects" can't use llSetAnimationOverride(), and that the function was intended only to be run by scripts the avatar has. TIL!

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's interesting, I thought "other people's objects" can't use llSetAnimationOverride(), and that the function was intended only to be run by scripts the avatar has. TIL!

Oh, this is my attached AO, and the OP refers to attached HUDs, too, so those scripts will be owned by the avatar, and I don't think I've ever tried to use it for free-standing objects that may animate somebody other than the owner—but I don't see anything in the wiki to suggest it can't work, so TIL too. And also this from the wiki, which I never even thought about:

• Permissions aren't auto granted if you sit on an object asking for PERMISSION_OVERRIDE_ANIMATIONS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

And also this from the wiki, which I never even thought about:

• Permissions aren't auto granted if you sit on an object asking for PERMISSION_OVERRIDE_ANIMATIONS.

I saw that too. It was confusing, since normally you get (semi?) "automatic" rights when sitting.  It COULD be since llSAO() is "persistent".  There were a lot of caveats for it, more than I expected, but some were "old".

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Further evidence that tracking permissions rather than individual animations is the way to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Tracking who has permissions in a way that allows you to easily display it to them specifically would actually be very difficult to do for a lot of scripts, especially something like a public dance machine, I think. Experiences may have a way, but even then it's not a simple function.

Not that hard. A public dance script has to maintain a user/dance list anyway, in order to re-request permissions, stop the old dance and start the  new one. It's just that these dances don't report on the usage, which would simply require tapping into an already existing list.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Not that hard. A public dance script has to maintain a user/dance list anyway, in order to re-request permissions, stop the old dance and start the  new one. It's just that these dances don't report on the usage, which would simply require tapping into an already existing list.

I don't think we agree on what "simply" means. Calling a list of UUIDs at a given time is one thing, but actively informing users they're still on the list in real time?

I think Arduenn is right on this one. I have built a couple of dance machines myself. He's right that any machine needs to have some internal list of current user UUIDs. These days, I would probably store it in Link Set Data instead of an internal list, but the details aren't important. If a scripter creating or modifying a dance machine wanted to, it should be fairly easy to feed that list to a display board or to send helpful (or annoying) messages to dancers.  I've never seen any particular need to do something like that, and I'm not sure than many dance machine owners would want to, but that's another matter.

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think Arduenn is right on this one. I have built a couple of dance machines myself. He's right that any machine needs to have some internal list of current user UUIDs. These days, I would probably store it in Link Set Data instead of an internal list, but the details aren't important. If a scripter creating or modifying a dance machine wanted to, it should be fairly easy to feed that list to a display board or to send helpful (or annoying) messages to dancers.  I've never seen any particular need to do something like that, and I'm not sure than many dance machine owners would want to, but that's another matter.

At least in the "old days", each user must have their own script in the dance machine, because of how permissions work..so theoretically, that 1 script kept track of just its 1 user at any given time.

10 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Firestorm has "Animation Explorer" in the World menu. It says what object is animating you and whether current or stopped within the last 60 secs.  It doesn't show who owns the object - that's something you could maybe raise with the Firestorm dev team to get added in to the Anim Explorer panel.

1) Animation Explorer does not include HUDs that I have been invited to,

2) It does not name the animation being used.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.