πŸ› Help wanted: Compare Agni and Aditi Inventory Behavior (February 27th - March 6th)

Signal Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

We are working on improvements to the inventory service and need help testing on Aditi. Specifically, we are interested in any new variation in behavior between Agni and Aditi.

Instructions

1. Log on to the beta grid. For details on how to access Aditi, see instructions here.
  2. (Optional) Visit one of the "Cloud Sandbox" regions, or the Morris sandbox. All regions on Aditi work against the new AIS, but using one of these will keep you on a standard release channel.
  3. Start testing everyday operations that impact Second Life inventory - update/copy/modify items, change outfits, give an object to another Resident, etc. Compare your results with the production grid (Agni)

If you find issues or unexpected behavior that is different from what you experience on the production grid, file a Jira issue! The window for this testing period is now until March 6th.

Technical details

Second Life's agent inventory service (AIS) handles all agent inventory operations that happen in Second Life. It is comprised of a large Django application hosting multiple API versions (v1 to v3) which have been deprecated for years yet never fully excised. In preparation for new feature work and, ultimately, moving clients off of the deprecated API versions, AIS is receiving some sorely needed framework and python version upgrades.

Considering how critical AIS is to in-world experience, we are giving its upgraded version an extended soak time on Aditi. Help vetting the upgrade is welcome!

Edited by Signal Linden
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Signal Linden said:

update/copy/modify items, change outfits, give an object to another Resident, etc. Compare your results with the production grid (Agni)

I didn't notice anything while trying it out (transfers, mod/transfer only seems normal), but, with this new work, will something be doneΒ to prevent loss of inventoryΒ when trying to rez an item that is not copy, in a land that you cannot rez?Β  (Happens by mistake, I guess quite a lot... just happened to me at Morris, I was on a small parcel owned by Dan Linden, and accidentally tried to rez an item with an alternate avatar.... dropped outside the parcel (where rez is not enabled)... and its gone... item name "Mod Only") . Ideally, that should at least return to Lost & Found or the viewer prevent the user from rezzing.Β 

Edited by Andred Darwin

2 hours ago, Signal Linden said:

You're right, but fortunately it's been soaking for some time before this public announcement. Anyone on Aditi has been using the updated AIS for a few weeks now.

Just to clarify, Are you saying that all agents on Aditi, no matter what region they are on, are using the updated AIS?
Or are Aditi agents only using the updated AIS if they are on one of the cloud sandbox regions or Morris sandbox on Aditi?

Β 

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

• Lindens
13 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Just to clarify, Are you saying that all agents on Aditi, no matter what region they are on, are using the updated AIS?
Or are Aditi agents only using the updated AIS if they are on one of the cloud sandbox regions or Morris sandbox on Aditi?

Β 

Your first assumption is correct: all agents on Aditi are using updated AIS. I've modified the instructions a bit, any region will do, but the Cloud Sandbox regions are running some commodity RC builds. Thanks. :)

• Thanks 1

• Lindens
17 hours ago, Andred Darwin said:

I didn't notice anything while trying it out (transfers, mod/transfer only seems normal), but, with this new work, will something be doneΒ to prevent loss of inventoryΒ when trying to rez an item that is not copy, in a land that you cannot rez?Β  (Happens by mistake, I guess quite a lot... just happened to me at Morris, I was on a small parcel owned by Dan Linden, and accidentally tried to rez an item with an alternate avatar.... dropped outside the parcel (where rez is not enabled)... and its gone... item name "Mod Only") . Ideally, that should at least return to Lost & Found or the viewer prevent the user from rezzing.Β 

Fully agree here that this needs to be dealt with better --but it'll be better to make changes to behavior as part of another release. By keeping platform upgrades separate from changes to functionality we can more easily ensure there's no regressions in inventory behavior. We have a lot of tickets pertaining to no-copy items going missing under various circumstances. I can't promise a priority, but content loss is taken seriously. I'll make a note to bring up the no-copy loss problem area internally.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.