SLAM//1 phone

lookin4d

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Slamming used to be something with companies switching your phone service or long distance service or something like that, without you knowing it.

Who knows what it is today with how people switch and use words for other things. Maybe it's a phone that keeps people updated to old words that mean something else today.. hehehe

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lookin4d said:

It's the "or something else" that kinda has me apprehensive about opening it. I've had it for a couple of weeks. I think some guy slipped it on me at a party, I think...Things go kinda fuzzy at these parties..🍾lol

is it something in SL?

• Like 1

Checking the SLAM// store on MP,  I see furniture with animations.  It  COULD be that you sat or used a piece of furniture that had a "talk on the phone" animation that offered you a phone to attach to your avatar.  Coffee cups, books, laptops, etc are other items some furniture offers you.   Kind of an older way to do this.  Now, it asks to attach, attaches, then detached when you change animations.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Checking the SLAM// store on MP,  I see furniture with animations.  It  COULD be that you sat or used a piece of furniture that had a "talk on the phone" animation that offered you a phone to attach to your avatar.  Coffee cups, books, laptops, etc are other items some furniture offers you.   Kind of an older way to do this.  Now, it asks to attach, attaches, then detached when you change animations.

That sounds logical. Thank you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I had a friend who djed some years ago, and when you contributed to his tip jar it would sometimes send you something random. I believe one of those things was a phone.

I do contribute when I visit a sim so possibly. Thank you, I'm going to look deeper into that.

3 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

SLAM (incorporating the double slash motif) is a content brand in SL, with both in-world and marketplace stores. A quick look, however, didn't find the "phone" keyword among its products.

I have checked every place I could think of and couldn't find a single thing about it. It's a real conundrum. A mystery... Thank you for your reply.

4 hours ago, lookin4d said:

I have checked every place I could think of and couldn't find a single thing about it. It's a real conundrum. A mystery... Thank you for your reply.

Did you rez it?  Rez it at a sandbox like at Builder's Brewery if you are uncertain about it.  Find the creator name by opening the edit window and then contact the creator with any questions you may have.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Did you rez it?  Rez it at a sandbox like at Builder's Brewery if you are uncertain about it.  Find the creator name by opening the edit window and then contact the creator with any questions you may have.  

Until someone (KT) posted above about the SLAM brand, I assumed it could be a tracker! So yeah, I guess a little caution is always warranted.

• Like 1

I went to the store and the furniture I tried out did have single animations for talking on the phone.  The newer pieces I tried rezzed the phone in your hand and detached when switching poses.  I'm guessing older versions or ones not updated would use the older method of offering you a phone which would go to your objects folder for you to attach yourself.   

As mentioned, just rez it out on the ground and see if it's a phone.  You can even edit and check the contents.

• Like 2

FWIW, if you buy a piece of furniture that attaches "props", then you (the owner of the furniture) can pull out a transferable and copyable copy of the prop from the furniture's inventory, then give it away to your friends and such. You probably ought not to, but the permissions system is such that in order for the furniture to function at all, the creator can't stop you from doing it.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, lookin4d said:

Can someone please tell me what a SLAM//1 phone is/does? I cannot find any info about this thing.

Thanks for any input.

Here's an update. I logged in earlier and found a sandbox that was empty. I was going to rez the slam phone but, It's gone! It was there early this morning and I've had it in my invemtory for a couple of weeks. But, now it can't be found. Could the owner have seen this post and removed it? I'm thoroughly confused now....

34 minutes ago, lookin4d said:

Could the owner have seen this post and removed it?

Nobody but you* is able to change your inventory. You probably just misplaced it.

*linden lab employees can change resident's inventories in very limited circumstances.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lookin4d said:

Here's an update. I logged in earlier and found a sandbox that was empty. I was going to rez the slam phone but, It's gone! It was there early this morning and I've had it in my invemtory for a couple of weeks. But, now it can't be found. Could the owner have seen this post and removed it? I'm thoroughly confused now....

Did you attempt to rez it?  If it had a 'do not rez' script in it, it went into another place in your inventory such as trash or lost and found perhaps.  I'm not sure as it's been a long time since I rezzed an item with a 'do not rez' script in it.  I'm wondering scripters, if it had a 'do not rez' script in it and the object moved to the trash, would he have to log off and log back on for it to appear in the trash?  If it appears now in your trash, just delete your trash is my best advice.  It's not worth it.  You can buy a phone on MP if you want one.

13 hours ago, lookin4d said:

12 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Nobody but you* is able to change your inventory. You probably just misplaced it.

*linden lab employees can change resident's inventories in very limited circumstances.

You and the Lindens can change your inventory. No one else. The Lindens commonly remove all items from the grid, meaning everyone's inventory and all rezzed copies, for DMCA complaints, items that use exploits to cause problems, and similar issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You and the Lindens can change your inventory. No one else. The Lindens commonly remove all items from the grid, meaning everyone's inventory and all rezzed copies, for DMCA complaints, items that use exploits to cause problems, and similar issues.

If it was DMCA'ed, it might have been a phone on copy/transfer and thus was pulled.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.