Any LSL extensions for external editor up to date?

Luke Rowley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey :) 

So I just got a new PC and I wanted to install an external editor for LSL. I've been using Atom for the past years with an outdated extension and since the editor is now dead and won't be updated in the future, I started to look for alternatives.

Sadly, it seems that I couldn't find something up to date with the current LSL functions. For VSCode for example, the extension were last updated 2021.

Do you know an editor that has a up to date extension to code LSL? Otherwise, how hard would it be to fork one of the extension and try to update them? I never did such thing in the past, but I feel like this is something missing deeply for the community. :( 

Thank you!

• Like 2

I've been using Sublime Text and the LSL extension by Makopo for years. It gets updated pretty frequently, it has the new Linkset Data functions in it, but not the Link Sound ones.

It's pretty easy to update that extension by hand when feeling desperate, since it's format is simple.

Sublime Text is a commerical product though, its trial will occasionally show you a "pls buy" popup when saving a file, about once every 1-2 days. It has no "buy forever" option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Luke Rowley said:

Hey :) 

So I just got a new PC and I wanted to install an external editor for LSL. I've been using Atom for the past years with an outdated extension and since the editor is now dead and won't be updated in the future, I started to look for alternatives.

Sadly, it seems that I couldn't find something up to date with the current LSL functions. For VSCode for example, the extension were last updated 2021.

Do you know an editor that has a up to date extension to code LSL? Otherwise, how hard would it be to fork one of the extension and try to update them? I never did such thing in the past, but I feel like this is something missing deeply for the community. :( 

Thank you!

You can use any IDE from JetBrains, then install the LSL Highlighting / autocomplete plugin from here: https://github.com/clairem-sl/jetbrains-lsl-support

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I've been using Sublime Text and the LSL extension by Makopo for years. It gets updated pretty frequently, it has the new Linkset Data functions in it, but not the Link Sound ones.

I think Makopo's extension for ST is auto-generated from Sei Lisa's kwdb, so as long as kwdb is not yet updated then Makopo's extension won't be updated as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, all!! I haven't been SL for long time.

I recently brought  the latest kwdb list into sublime plugin and lslint binaries.

Just search plugin for "LSL" and re-install it if you have already disposed it. Binaries are bundled in the plugin.

I'll look around similar plugins and try to catch up to recent chenges in sublime. Thank you.

Makopo

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I made an inexpensive Scintilla based editor that has a Chromium panel to link to LSL wiki pages. Like you can easily get the associated LSL wiki page for a function in your code. It's on my MP. It's current as of today. :)

Currently troubleshooting an issue with spaces in script names.. I think at least Firestorm isn't properly quoting arguments, but i need to go the source code to see. Is that a known issue? Click "edit" button on script editor doesn't seem to work if there's a space in the script name.

12 minutes ago, CossetteAlarie said:

Click "edit" button on script editor doesn't seem to work if there's a space in the script name.

That's an issue with how the editor variable is set-up in your configuration. TL;DR, the 'ExternalEditor' debug setting needs to have double-quotes around the %s to avoid the issue, for example:

/usr/bin/st vim "%s"

on my linux setup

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

That's an issue with how the editor variable is set-up in your configuration. TL;DR, the 'ExternalEditor' debug setting needs to have double-quotes around the %s to avoid the issue, for example:

/usr/bin/st vim "%s"

on my linux setup

Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

On M$ Windows the "easy" way to tell users is to put

"C:\Windows\explorer.exe" "%s"

(presuming they installed the OS on the C drive and .lsl is associated with the editor, otherwise it can be complicated to explain to a user on these systems. My installer doesn't need admin for the install so the program ends up in AppData in the user account. Trying to explain to a user to find AppData is a nightmare waiting to happen lol.)

s-screen4.png

Edited by CossetteAlarie
installer not installed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LSL Tools extension for VSCode is also pretty up to date, I haven't had any issues using linksetdata ect through it.

https://github.com/Minuit-Ferina/vscode-lsl

though you don't really need the repo link cause you can search and install it through VSCode's extension panel also lol.

(edit: i have pre-release version installed so there's also that lol.)

Edited by alexx Ohmai
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, alexx Ohmai said:

LSL Tools extension for VSCode is also pretty up to date, I haven't had any issues using linksetdata ect through it.

though you don't really need the repo link cause you can search and install it through VSCode's extension panel also lol.

I'll try it again. I searched for LSL in extensions in VSC and it showed no results. It's free but for like 10 bucks you can link functions, etc to the LSL wiki pages. It's just convenient though, you can do it manually too. :)

ATM It seems the quote bug only exists in Firestorm. Users with SL viewer don't noticed that issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 8:41 AM, alexx Ohmai said:

Oooo Minuit Ferina, I know her!

She's an amazing scripter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:12 AM, CossetteAlarie said:

I made an inexpensive Scintilla based editor that has a Chromium panel to link to LSL wiki pages. Like you can easily get the associated LSL wiki page for a function in your code. It's on my MP. It's current as of today. :)

Currently troubleshooting an issue with spaces in script names.. I think at least Firestorm isn't properly quoting arguments, but i need to go the source code to see. Is that a known issue? Click "edit" button on script editor doesn't seem to work if there's a space in the script name.

Even in sl scripts sometimes I have to insert %20 where a space would be.

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2023 at 8:06 AM, CossetteAlarie said:

On M$ Windows the "easy" way to tell users is to put

"C:\Windows\explorer.exe" "%s"

(presuming they installed the OS on the C drive and .lsl is associated with the editor, otherwise it can be complicated to explain to a user on these systems. My installer doesn't need admin for the install so the program ends up in AppData in the user account. Trying to explain to a user to find AppData is a nightmare waiting to happen lol.)

s-screen4.png

Finding AppData is easy.

1) Open Explorer

2) Browse to %APPDATA%

And if a user ever install Windows to something other than C:, I'd assume they're tech-savvy enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.