Today I learned ... Animation Times

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd always thought that, if I wanted to know how long an animation plays for, so I can start and stop things at the same time by script, I had to find the animator and ask them

Turns out you don't, or not in the official viewer, anyway (dunno about Firestorm):

Find the animation in your inventory and click "Open"

5b0d194744bac6d5ea5140d8ee7e3a3e.png

Then click on "Advanced" and

c60aab2f1e6a025f1ad8c76fa7c9cb33.png

I'd never seen this before,  and I think I'm going to find it very useful.  I hope others do, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

It is in the current Firestorm (in the "Open" dialog, no "Advanced" toggle) but not in the Catznip beta so maybe it's a pretty new feature.

Thing is, I'm wondering why it's in the viewer and not exposed to scripts. (Is it?) If a script could sequence full animations without needing to have durations specified in advance, I could live with an asynchronous dataserver query to get this info perhaps via an extended llRequestInventoryData() or a single-purpose llRequestAnimationData() function as in a Jira in state "Been Triaged" from 2014.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I'd always thought that, if I wanted to know how long an animation plays for, so I can start and stop things at the same time by script, I had to find the animator and ask them

Turns out you don't, or not in the official viewer, anyway (dunno about Firestorm):

Find the animation in your inventory and click "Open"

Well, it's also in Kokua, and also under "Advanced".

Which is not surprising actually as Kokua tries to not diverge too much from SL Official Viewer.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:47 PM, Qie Niangao said:

Thing is, I'm wondering why it's in the viewer and not exposed to scripts.

I asked someone who knows about such things and he explained that the data is exposed to the viewer because it's taken directly from the animation file, to which the viewer has access on my PC.   The simulator, though, can't see the animation file -- all it does is send it to people's machines when told to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

… The simulator, though, can't see the animation file -- all it does is send it to people's machines when told to.

Oh, that makes sense. Presumably the simulator tells the viewer what animation to fetch from the CDN. So probably any advance here will need to await the mythic re-architecting of SL's whole animation system.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

bit of a necro but if the viewer can see it, couldn't you add a feature to a viewer that when it receives a specific chat command on a specific channel it could spit out the info on that channel? Kind of like llListen but have the viewer watching that chat channel and then take the command let's say something like /4658 animinfo, "*insert animation name here or UUID of animation*", "*insert UUID of object you own to look for animation in or leave blank to have it search your inventory*" It could then search through the object/your inventory and get the animation's info and spit it out in the chat channel in some easy to parse way... perhaps 4,28.60,0.60,0.60,Yes,19 (in the case of the one shown at the top of this thread)? Or would this fall under "Impacts the shared experience!" issue and would cause the viewer to be banned by LL?

2 hours ago, Jabadahut50 said:

bit of a necro but if the viewer can see it, couldn't you add a feature to a viewer that when it receives a specific chat command on a specific channel it could spit out the info on that channel? Kind of like llListen but have the viewer watching that chat channel and then take the command let's say something like /4658 animinfo, "*insert animation name here or UUID of animation*", "*insert UUID of object you own to look for animation in or leave blank to have it search your inventory*" It could then search through the object/your inventory and get the animation's info and spit it out in the chat channel in some easy to parse way... perhaps 4,28.60,0.60,0.60,Yes,19 (in the case of the one shown at the top of this thread)? Or would this fall under "Impacts the shared experience!" issue and would cause the viewer to be banned by LL?

It could be done, but that means someone has to actually do it instead of other things. And if you want it in the official Firestorm release (for example), someone has to accept the code once it's been done and donated.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 8:47 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Thing is, I'm wondering why it's in the viewer and not exposed to scripts.

Animation duration should also be tossed into llRequestInventoryData too (like, as per BUG-232877) also…

I'd say, along with the priority too (separated by a simple space).  Adding any of the other stuff would be getting over-complicated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.