How to find and block source of sound on municipal land

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I'm having trouble finding the source of a few annoying sounds in a region that I own a couple of parcels on the mainland grid.

When you enter linden-owned municipal land, you hear the sounds of children screaming, television static, and cats meowing. The sounds sources button shows media, but nothing shows to be active or playing. It does not play when I enter my own parcels or those of my neighbors. It is very unpleasant, can be heard throughout the region, and can even be heard a few regions over. It does get much louder in one specific spot within my region, but again, nothing shows to be playing and thus cannot be blocked or reported.

Any help?

Edit: It's probably worth mentioning that I've been in this region since July of 2022 and this problem only showed up a couple of days ago.

Edited by Ocean Starchild

When you say sound sources button, do you mean this:  World/Show More/Beacons and select sound sources ? At least that's where it is on Firestorm.

Edit: in the LL viewer it's: World/Show/Beacons

Edit 2: Seems to me that beacons don't display well, if at all, and flicker in and out when moving around... might just be my graphics settings because I've noticed that a lot here.

Edited by Rick Daylight

11 minutes ago, Rick Daylight said:

When you say sound sources button, do you mean this:  World/Show More/Beacons and select sound sources ? At least that's where it is on Firestorm.

Edit: in the LL viewer it's: World/Show/Beacons

Edit 2: Seems to me that beacons don't display well, if at all, and flicker in and out when moving around... might just be my graphics settings because I've noticed that a lot here.

I use catznip, which is similar to LL viewer. Beacons don't display well like you said; I'm referring more to the "Play" icon in the top right corner - when there is active media you would see a "Pause" button as clicking it in either state will cause it to play or to pause. It's in the "Play" icon right now because there is no media currently playing, at least that the viewer can recognise as such.

I have isolated the sounds to one particular parcel by playing the age old game of "cold, warm, warmer, hot"

I thought that might be what you meant.

Use the way I said - that's what I've used before to do what you want. It does detect the sounds (while they are playing) but like you say, beacons seem a bit broken for the last year or so*, so it might take some camming and patience to spot a beacon as it flickers in and out.

*Another victim of the Interest List 'improvements' I guess.

Edited by Rick Daylight

I sounds like you are hearing a stream that the owner has put in the Media tab on his parcel rather than the Music tab. You won't be able to see that with the sounds button that Rick is talking about, and you probably can't turn it off in your viewer by toggling the 🎶 icon either. ( If you open About Land and compare what's in those two tabs, you'll notice that the Media tab doesn't have a check box to restrict sounds to the parcel.) See if you can get your neighbor to move it to the Music tab so it truly is restricted to his parcel.

• Like 1

It's probably a regular object that's playing sounds via scripts. Media isn't stopped by selecting the option to restrict sound to a parcel, so if you can keep the sounds out of your land with that option, it's not media and won't appear in the media list. (Media can now be restricted with "obscure MOAP" in some newer viewers, but this is a different tick box to the sound one.)

You don't actually need to find the sound emitter if you decide to abuse report it. Just explain in the report that you couldn't find the emitters, but give them the location you think is closest. They'll know how to find them.

If all you want to do is derender and blacklist the emitters to shut them up, pull a selection box over the parcel and just derender everything. The objects causing the issue will be in there somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

If all you want to do is derender and blacklist the emitters to shut them up, pull a selection box over the parcel and just derender everything. The objects causing the issue will be in there somewhere.

So, you are of the "We had to destroy the village in order to save it" school of thought?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So, you are of the "We had to destroy the village in order to save it" school of thought?

Personally, if I used sound and could hear it, I'd track down the problem object. But I realise that a lot of people struggle to do that, so just derendering the lot is a simpler way to handle it. The chances of a neighbour with foghorn-level ambient sounds having a beautiful parcel that would be sad to never see again is not that likely. This has nothing to do with murdering people in villages. It's a virtual world, no objects will be harmed, and it can be reversed at any point with a few menu clicks.

• Like 1

Nuke the site from orbit!

When I was on mainland, almost everything around my parcel up to a full region away was blacklisted. The only place I left was a big store half a region away, because I liked what they sold and it wasn't too busy.

Nuking the place took out physical leaf rezzers, countless particle generators, a huge amount of mostly tasteless textures and animated whatnots, and made the place look so much better. My viewer and PC thanked me. Shame I couldn't truly get rid of the breedables farm that popped up in the region with all it's scripted nonsense wandering about, but at least I didn't have to load another few hundred textures; until I derendered that my viewer would actually stutter visually when I looked towards it.

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Haha 2

At my very first house in Belli, I had a neighbor running a player piano CONSTANTLY. It irked me to no end. If I was in my house I couldn't hear it, but any time spent outside in my hot tub meant I heard it.  It took me forever to find the source of that, even doing the closer/farther routine. I had to do an area search and basically go through all the objects on that piece of land and eventually I found it (it was a TV playing a video of a piano being played) and blacklisted it.   I could have just sent a notecard, but that homeowner was NEVER online. 

I've always used the blacklist feature liberally when I've had eyesores for neighbors in Belli. Thankfully the Moles keep it mostly under control, but some of the media players I encountered while doing the Halloween pumpkin bucket hunt about turned my hair gray. There are a lot of people in Belli who leave their media players on p0rn 24/7. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:17 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

I mean, I am too tbh, there are exceptions to my patience 😆

On 1/29/2023 at 3:16 PM, Polenth Yue said:

It's probably a regular object that's playing sounds via scripts. Media isn't stopped by selecting the option to restrict sound to a parcel, so if you can keep the sounds out of your land with that option, it's not media and won't appear in the media list. (Media can now be restricted with "obscure MOAP" in some newer viewers, but this is a different tick box to the sound one.)

You don't actually need to find the sound emitter if you decide to abuse report it. Just explain in the report that you couldn't find the emitters, but give them the location you think is closest. They'll know how to find them.

That was it! They were regular objects and spawning scripts which explains why I was having trouble finding them. I sent a message to the parcel owner like @Rick Daylight mentioned, and to my surprise they showed up as I was derendering everything and helped them fix the issue; seems like they were newer than I am and unaware that it could be hear outside of their parcel

On 1/30/2023 at 9:51 PM, animats said:

Firestorm has "Sound Explorer" for just this situation. It lists everything that's playing a sound right now. You can turn individual sounds off.

That is definitely something that I will need to remember for the future!

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 3:07 PM, Polenth Yue said:

But I realise that a lot of people struggle to do that, so just derendering the lot is a simpler way to handle it. The chances of a neighbour with foghorn-level ambient sounds having a beautiful parcel that would be sad to never see again is not that likely. This has nothing to do with murdering people in villages. It's a virtual world, no objects will be harmed, and it can be reversed at any point with a few menu clicks.

I wasn't criticizing you, or the OP, just an amused observation!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.