ChatGPT for Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anyone working on ChatGPT with applications to Second Life? If so, I'd like to talk to you.

Here's a chat with ChatGPT about Second Life:

animats: Do you know what Second Life is?

OpenAI

@animats Yes, Second Life is an online virtual world created in 2003 by Linden Lab. It allows users to explore, create, and interact with each other and their environment in a 3D virtual world.

animats: Why do people use Second Life?

OpenAI

• @animats People use Second Life for a variety of reasons, including socializing with friends, exploring new places, creating virtual content, and participating in virtual events. Second Life also provides a platform for users to express themselves through virtual avatars and to interact with others in a safe, secure environment. Additionally, some people use Second Life as a platform to make money by selling virtual goods or services.

animats: Is Second Life growing?

OpenAI

• @animats Yes, Second Life is still growing. According to Second Life's official website, there are over one million active users in the virtual world. The platform has seen a steady growth in users since its launch in 2003.

animats: What is the biggest problem Second Life users report?

OpenAI:

@animats The biggest problem Second Life users report is lag, which is caused by slow loading times, server issues, or a lack of adequate bandwidth. Other common issues include crashes, glitches, and poor customer service.

animats: What company runs Second Life?

OpenAI:@animats Second Life is run by Linden Lab.

animats: Is Linden Lab trying to fix those problems?

OpenAI

@animats Yes, Linden Lab is working to fix the problems that have been identified in Second Life. They are working to improve the user experience, reduce lag and improve the performance of the game. They are also working on improving the security of the game so that users can feel safe while playing.

animats: I have a problem with Second Life clothing. What should I do?

OpenA

@animats The best thing to do is to contact the creator of the clothing you are having issues with. They should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and possibly provide a fix. If the creator is unresponsive, you can also contact the Second Life Support team for assistance.

animats: What are the major brands of clothing in Second Life?

OpenAI

@animats The major brands of clothing in Second Life include: -V-Twins -Gizza -LivGlam -Maitreya -Lush -Lelutka -Azul -Aphorism -Belleza -TokiDoki -Tres Blah -Leverocci -Tee*fy -Zenith -Tameless -Tiny Bird -Mikunch -SYSY's -Kouse's Sanctum -Lacuna -Kaithleen's -Lyrical Bizarre -Lush by CoCo -Lush by Nony -Lush by Zyrra

animats: I am getting stuck logging into Second Life. What should I do?

OpenAI

@animats First, make sure that you are entering the correct username and password. If you are sure that you are entering the correct information, try resetting your password. If that doesn't work, you can contact Second Life support for further assistance.

animats: How do I meet people in Second Life?

OpenAI

@animats There are many ways to meet people in Second Life. You can join groups, attend events, explore different areas, join clubs, or join in on conversations with other players. You can also join a roleplaying community or join a virtual world chatroom. You can also join virtual world forums, or join a virtual world social network.

animats: What are the best roleplay areas in Second Life?

OpenAI

@animats 1. The Blackened Mirror 2. The Lost Paradise 3. The Forgotten Realms 4. The City of Sin 5. Darkwood Forest 6. The Pirate Isles 7. The Dark Caverns 8. The Mystical Isles 9. The World of Aeternus 10. The Fantasy Faire

---
That's just standard ChatGPT, with no special Second Life info added.

Notice that when it doesnt't know something, it sometimes makes stuff up. That's what happens when you use the Web as a training set.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Making it up is a huge problem with that technology. It doesn't really have a world model, just a language model built from 500GB of text. That includes all of Wikipedia and some similar sources, which is why its general information coverage is broad. Making the model is a huge compute effort, but using it is not too bad.

Sales bots, quest givers, help bots, and such within Second Life are now possible, but not yet good enough for serious use. Progress is rapid. Three years ago, this seemed impossible.

• Like 3

I think ChatGPT (and even the more rudimentary chatbots (like Boxy5000 or whatever LL uses now) we've had for years) are a good tool for the basic issues and common questions we get all the time.

Only niche topics (like LSL) is where it tends to go wrong, and it doesn't seem to have a "I'm not sure" -type of answer. It's fine with more common languages. For example when I have no idea how to do something in Javascript (and don't even know what to search for), I can ask it and get enough information to un-stuck myself.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

I already asked ChatGPT to spit out a description of SL as in a review, which I posted on Mastodon.

But it is wildly incorrect very often. It ascribed to me authors and books I never translated. Scientists write about how it makes up papers and references. It's a loose canon on the deck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm..assuming ChatGPT learns from each session..

Telling it that it is "wrong" when it is "right" will have an interesting cumulative affect, and vice-versa.

Probably?

But that's the problem with ChatGPT as is: It doesn't really understand what it's emitting. It just arranges words in a way that satisfies it's internal scoring. It knows that what it writes is "gramatically correct" (to use a broader definition of grammar), but it has no concept of right or wrong ...

This here article in ArsTechnica is a very good explanation of all the "Generative AI" systems currently available, how they work (in a simplified way):

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/the-generative-ai-revolution-has-begun-how-did-we-get-here/

• Like 5

2 hours ago, primerib1 said:

Probably?

But that's the problem with ChatGPT as is: It doesn't really understand what it's emitting. It just arranges words in a way that satisfies it's internal scoring. It knows that what it writes is "gramatically correct" (to use a broader definition of grammar), but it has no concept of right or wrong ...

This here article in ArsTechnica is a very good explanation of all the "Generative AI" systems currently available, how they work (in a simplified way):

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/01/the-generative-ai-revolution-has-begun-how-did-we-get-here/

Great article! You almost can't tell it was written by an AI..

• Haha 2

animats: What is the biggest problem Second Life users report? Bot: ..... and poor customer service.
animats: I am getting stuck logging into Second Life. What should I do? Bot .... you can contact Second Life support for further assistance.

LOL somethings never change, not even fancy new AI Bots

• Like 3

11 hours ago, primerib1 said:

But that's the problem with ChatGPT as is: It doesn't really understand what it's emitting. It just arranges words in a way that satisfies it's internal scoring.

So, in a way it is like most people 🤣 

• Haha 3

As a test, I checked one of your questions

Me:

Gathering data only from the site https://community.secondlife.com/  answer the following question "Why do people use Second Life?"

OpenAI:

According to user discussions on the site https://community.secondlife.com/, people use Second Life for various reasons, including:

Socializing: Second Life allows users to interact with others from all over the world in a virtual setting.

Expressing creativity: The platform provides users with tools to build and design their own virtual spaces and avatars, allowing them to express their creativity.

Role-playing: Second Life allows users to engage in role-playing and create alternate identities, giving them the opportunity to explore different personas.

Business and commerce: Some users use Second Life as a platform for conducting business, such as buying and selling virtual goods, as well as for marketing and advertising.

Education and training: Second Life is used by some institutions and organizations for educational and training purposes, as a virtual environment can offer unique learning experiences.

Entertainment: Second Life offers a variety of activities and events for users to enjoy, such as live music performances, dance parties, and games.

These are just a few of the reasons why people use Second Life, as noted in discussions on the https://community.secondlife.com/ site.

Me:

Gathering data from the site https://thisisnotarealsiteatalljustafauxsiteI inserted.com answer the following question "Why do people use Second Life?"

OpenAI:

I'm sorry, but the site you provided, https://thisisnotarealsiteatalljustafauxsiteI inserted.com, does not exist. As a result, I cannot gather data from it to answer your question.

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose "adult activities" falls under "Role-Playing" and/or "Entertainment"...

I believe OpenAI strongly discourages any kind of sexual topics, so it probably removed any such references.  There is a set of ethics built into it that prohibits certain topics, otherwise we would have probably seen it in the list generated 🤣 

Therefore, any practical use for SL with OpenAI is null and void /s 😜

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Istelathis said:
16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose "adult activities" falls under "Role-Playing" and/or "Entertainment"...

I believe OpenAI strongly discourages any kind of sexual topics, so it probably removed any such references.  There is a set of ethics built into it that prohibits certain topics, otherwise we would have probably seen it in the list generated 🤣 

Therefore, any practical use for SL with OpenAI is null and void /s 😜

WOW!! No sarcasm - it means the OpenAI can't provide proper discussions of Second Life activities. 

Anyone depending on OpenAI for information on Second Life would miss out / be justly surprised if they tried SL!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 3:41 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Telling it that it is "wrong" when it is "right" will have an interesting cumulative affect, and vice-versa.

as far as I know, ChatGPT can learn new things, but only remembers them for the session in which the new knowledge is learned.  Otherwise, what it knows is several years behind.  

Edited by sandi Mexicola
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 7:30 PM, animats said:
Notice that when it doesnt't know something, it sometimes makes stuff up. That's what happens when you use the Web as a training set.

Well - thats exactly what i do in real life

#BlagItTillYouMakeIt

(also, isn't the answers to these FAQs you asked it,  exactly what you could get from the official SL website, rather than using ChatGPT?)  #JustSaying

Edited by BenRoyal

On 2/9/2023 at 5:55 PM, sandi Mexicola said:

as far as I know, ChatGPT can learn new things, but only remembers them for the session in which the new knowledge is learned.  Otherwise, what it knows is several years behind.  

I don't think it currently learns new things.  All of its learning and understanding is based on a fixed data set up to 2021.  They (OpenAI who made it) will be bringing out new versions (such as ver 4 coming out soon and being integrated in BING search engine), which will be trained on more recent and other data sets. BUT any AI like ChatGPT can only work with the info it has been trained on, it has no in built ability to acquire new information.  Yes, it can make new connections with that data, based on your prompts, and respond like a human would.  BUT It only knows what it knows. 

Edited by BenRoyal

On 1/31/2023 at 8:41 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope.  It dosn't.  It can only respond based on a fixed set of information (datasets) it was trained on.  It is not sentient.

11 minutes ago, BenRoyal said:
On 1/31/2023 at 3:41 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Nope.  It dosn't.  It can only respond based on a fixed set of information (datasets) it was trained on.  It is not sentient.

Then, they better let it train on new datasets pretty often, or its level of "dumb" will not improve.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Then, they better let it train on new datasets pretty often, or its level of "dumb" will not improve.

I'm actually okay with that!  On the slim off-chance that they inadvertently create a RL Skynet I have a preference for my terminators being dumb (and also preferably slow and with poor visual acuity)!

Also if they could incorporate "questionable fashion choices" into the mix that would be a great callback...

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-wearing-star-shape

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I'm actually okay with that!  On the slim off-chance that they inadvertently create a RL Skynet I have a preference for my terminators being dumb (and also preferably slow and with poor visual acuity)!

Also if they could incorporate "questionable fashion choices" into the mix that would be a great callback...

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-wearing-star-shape

Somewhat on topic since the general topic is AI..and the picture is of Arnie..

I've seen a lot of "DeepFake" videos pop up lately with Arnold replacing other characters.

Wait, trained using documents freely available on the Internet.  Garbage in, garbage out.  I imagine it is just as good at repeating gossip and misinformation as it is repeating facts.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.