A trustworthy inworld charity?

Elsa Ewing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm leaving Second Life. I have already deleted all the other avatars I had, including my main Sid Nagy. His marketplace shop is emptied.
Elsa was always the banker of the bunch, so she is stuck with what is left of the L$. I don't want to go through the Tilia hassle needed to be able to cash out.
I want to delete Elsa too asap, but before that I want to donate the remaining 'game tokens' to charity or a good in world project.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Elsa Ewing
English, sigh....
  • Sad 19

3 hours ago, Elsa Ewing said:

I'm leaving Second Life. I have already deleted all the other avatars I had, including my main Sid Nagy. His marketplace shop is emptied.
Elsa was always the banker of the bunch, so she is stuck with what is left of the L$. I don't want to go through the Tilia hassle needed to be able to cash out.
I want to delete Elsa too asap, but before that I want to donate the remaining 'game tokens' to charity or a good in world project.

Any recommendations?

I'm so sorry to hear that you are leaving (though I do understand your reasons).  

I would second RFL as a trustworthy charity to donate to.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours. 🤗

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elsa Ewing said:

Any recommendations?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 

DO NOT DELETE...I did this and I was lucky enough that LL reactivated me...BUT...LOTS of inventory was gone after 5 years, and one of my alts is lost forever. Just log off, unless you are really determined to never return.

If so...I will miss your posts! 😔 But...I agree that RFL is legit, if you use their donation boards you can actually get a confirmation link that takes you to the official RFL site so you know it's not someone scamming with a scripted vendor...I hope you change your mind, though!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Elsa Ewing said:

Any recommendations?

Bye Sid, we will miss your posts! You are a great contributor to the Forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Elsa Ewing said:

For maybe obvious reasons I will not support RFL in this case.

I don't know which reasons you have but yes, I'm with you. I wouldn't call RFL/ACS a hoax since they are quite open about how they operate but only a quarter or less of the fund they raise is actually used for cancer research and aid to cancer victims (aid that would be covered by the government in a well functioning society anyway). The rest is spent on fund raising activities and "administrative costs". The CEO actually makes more money than what RFL manages to raise through Second Life! To be fair, they have improved their act in recent years, they used to spend up to 90 percent of their money on their own organisation but it's still not anywhere near good enough.

If you want most of your money to be put to good use, take a look at Spoonful Of Sugar. They are raising money for Doctors Without Borders, one of the world's most respected and most efficient charity oranisations. I'm not sure if they accept donations outside their yearly events but contact Ever Courtis and ask.

I'm sorry to hear you are leaving SL ut I can understand why. I hope we'll still see you in That Other Forum That Must Not Be Mentioned though. I've always appreciated your thoughtful - and sometimes humorous - comments there!

Edited by ChinRey
Typos
  • Like 4

You could donate it to a strictly in-world group, rather than one that collects money to give to RL causes...for example, Caledon Oxbridge University, or New Resident Island, or NCI.

But I'll second the several suggestions that you not delete all your accounts. SO many people have done that and regretted it later.

We'll miss you, and welcome you back if/when you choose to rejoin the party.

• Like 4

Thanks Chinrey I know Doctors Without Borders from RL, where I donate to them too on regular basis.
I will dive into that one in world. Thanks for the great tip. I did not know they were active in world too.

Edited by Elsa Ewing
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You could donate it to a strictly in-world group, rather than one that collects money to give to RL causes...for example, Caledon Oxbridge University, or New Resident Island, or NCI.

But I'll second the several suggestions that you not delete all your accounts. SO many people have done that and regretted it later.

We'll miss you, and welcome you back if/when you choose to rejoin the party.

I'm very sure about what I'm doing Lindal.
Nothing is holding me inside SL. I'm not prepared to make just one more extra cent for The almighty Lab nor in tier, nor in commission for marketplace sales.

I suggest they lock this thread very soon now.
Before you know it we are discussing one of the subjects that we are not allowed to talk about. We can't have that can we?

That said, thanks for the suggestions and have a good one you all.
Elsa is on her way to the bin now too.

Edited by Elsa Ewing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

8 hours ago, Elsa Ewing said:

Any recommendations?

I'm going to miss the only real teddy bear in SL. 😢

two-embracing-teddy-bear-toys-sitting-on

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've always enjoyed your posts in here and am sorry to see you leaving, but as others have said, it's understandable.. Don't stay anywhere you are not happy or comfortable.

Life is too short to be uncomfortable in something meant for enjoyment..

I wish you the best in your future..

Take good care of yourself and be safe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elsa Ewing said:

I'm very sure about what I'm doing Lindal.
Nothing is holding me inside SL. I'm not prepared to make just one more extra cent for The almighty Lab nor in tier, nor in commission for marketplace sales.

I suggest they lock this thread very soon now.
Before you know it we are discussing one of the subjects that we are not allowed to talk about. We can't have that can we?

That said, thanks for the suggestions and have a good one you all.
Elsa is on her way to the bin now too.

I'm sorry to see this have to come to this.  I am as unhappy as you are with the current situation.  As far as charity, I always prefer to put it in the hands directly of those who need it.  I understand that is difficult to do in SL.  I wish you all the best, nonetheless, Sid!  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wow! Is that "allowed"? I guess they have to get enough L$ donations to cash out, otherwise the L$ may as well be scrip.

I've never used that particular method myself but have seen it was offered as an option. I often use Opensim as an alternative when I need a long or short term break from S/L.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.