Benefits of list typecasting vs literal list?

primerib1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay so I have a line of code that looks like this:

llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(0, [ PRIM_TEXTURE, 0, HUD_TEXTURE, HUD_SCALE, tx_offs, (float)0 ]);

If I pump the script through LSL-PyOptimizer, it 'optimizes' that line into this:

llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(0, (list)17 + 0 + ((key)"some-uuid") + <0.5, 0.5, ((float)0)> + tx_offs + ((float)0));

Ignoring the const inlining, it converts a literal list into a typecasted list plus some 'addition' operations.

Now if it's a list literal with a single element, I can kind of grasp the benefit

[some_value] => (list)some_value

But this is a long literal list with many items, so there will be lots of 'addition' operations.

Is it still beneficial to translate a list-literal-with-many-items into a list-typecast-and-lots-of-additions ?

6 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It probably saves a few bytes, since PyOptimizer focuses on memory efficiency, not speed.

Hmm, good point.

I only now noticed there's a checkbox "Convert lists into additions. Transforms lists of the form [a, b, c, ...] into (list)a + b + c + ... if possible."

I think from now on I will uncheck that checkbox and do conversion from literal list to typecasted list myself when necesssary.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.