Jump to content

Ocean bots north of Bay City? (and elsewhere)


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

What gives with this?

oceanbots_001.jpg

Spent most of the day sailing today, and these guys are everywhere in the waters of mainland oceans - but north of Bay City, and especially north of Moose Beach - there's like an army of them...

Is this some new thing I need to get into or something? Do I need a green thong?

Do they think we don't see the hordes of green dots all over the map?

I was all excited when sailing there that I'd pass another boat... and when there was nothing and yet a stack of AVs on my nearby list... I cammed down... and yet again, just like the waters in other parts of mainland I'd tried... there they were...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why they are there but I can suggest a possibility.

Traffic still matters on land that's set to show in search - the Places tab in V1 viewers (the most widely used viewers) still rank according to traffic. There were services that sold traffic by having bots spend time on customers' land. The bots weren't there 24/7 - they would TP in and out so that the paid-for amount of traffic per day was built up. I am sure that those services still exist and are bought by place owners. Where would those bots be parked while they wait for the next visit? Perhaps under the sea so that they don't attract too much attention.

ETA: Thank you for the pic. It shows me that LL hasn't fixed the V2's cam controls so I don't need to check and I can stick with the V1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also like to know what this is about.  It's not a new phenomenon -- although I haven't seen quite this many in a clump before -- but it's always been mysterious to me.  I mean, it's clearly not to give a traffic boost to a Linden water sim, and I've watched the same avatars parked for days at the bottom of some sims, so if they're traffic bots they'd have to be awfully primitive ones.  Or if traffic-bots-for-hire, awfully unsuccessful ones.

My hunch would be that they're failed alts of somebody who's experimenting with some kind of functional bot software, in which the bots are constantly plowing through data only exposed to logged-in viewers.  

Across the street and on one of the blogs there's discussion of an attempt to scour membership of Groups, with the cover story of building a social graph of group interconnectedness.  On closer inspection, that particular one seems to be a marketing scam for a few old fading clubs, but if one were to do it for real, it might take a few bots to keep it reasonably current.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that these are people that have no interest in SL other than to use it as a chat room.  I have seen these littering many places, including the vehicle sandbox.  I imagine that they are just standing around talking in IM or group chat.  They are a complete waste of resource in my opinion and I wish they would go back to spacebook for their social lives and let the rest of us with more imagination enjoy more resources.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess they are Tiny Empires players. I see this a lot around the ocean lands, little clusters of avatars, with groups such as Queendom of this and Kingdom of that, and a lot where bizarre outfits (although that green thong thing is exceptionally coffee-down-the-nose-worthy!)

I'd AR them anyway, they're just bots, essentially, cluttering the place up for whatever reason, and there's never a good reason for clutter.

tiny empires.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This.

I've observed them when there are 2 particular avatars in the waters of Nova Albion.  When these 2 are there so are all the ones in the waters north of Bay City.  Maybe a connection, maybe not.  Just an observation.  The 2 avatars in Nova Albion do belong to TE group.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

the Places tab in V1 viewers (the most widely used viewers) still rank according to traffic.


Some reading for you:



I just wasted a few minutes reading what you suggested and there's nothing of any relevance in it. Is there a point to your suggestion or are you just using any excuse to adbertise that blog. I did notice an identical post from you in another thread and I imiagine there are more around the forums, so I guess it's just advertising - and a waste of people's time.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

the Places tab in V1 viewers (the most widely used viewers) still rank according to traffic.


Some reading for you:



I just wasted a few minutes reading what you suggested and there's nothing of any relevance in it. Is there a point to your suggestion or are you just using any excuse to adbertise that blog. I did notice an identical post from you in another thread and I imiagine there are more around the forums, so I guess it's just advertising - and a waste of people's time.

Well, I got it, even if Phil didn't. Phil, it was just your throwaway remark about being able to save bothering to log in with V2 and staying with V1 as you could see on Pussycat's screenshot LL hadn't "fixed" the camera control yet. 

Yours was a throwaway remark - I think - and your choice not to use V2 just yet until it is tweaked how you like it (and I am with you on that one).

Pussycat was just giving everyone a link - on this thread - and on others - to a rather good (in my opinion) blog that someone has put together, saying once and for all that we all need to stop being so darn prejudice against each other's viewer.

We all have personal preferences. Some people prefer Coke, some people prefer Pepsi, but do they hex each other in the street or on forums because of it???!

Let's not make the tiny issues into massive unimportant wars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Pussycat had intended to respond to my remark that you said she responded to, she would have quoted it, but she didn't. She specifically and intentionally quoted another part of my post that mentioned some facts about the V1 viewer (requoted in your post, incidentally), and the blog she pointed to bore no relevance to that part. So, according to the posts, you are wrong. Marigold.

But that aside, judging by Pussycat's identical posts (absolutely identical) in this thread and in another one - and  maybe more instances that I haven't seen because I don't read most threads - it does appear as though she is plugging either that blog or the V2. Either way, it's not good practise to be posting identical posts multiple times like that.

ETA: Even if Pussycat's post was a response to the part of my post that mentioned the V2, which it wasn't, the blog she pointed to would still have been completely irrelevant. The blogger wrote about how she shouldn't have to apologise for using the V2 - and rightly so. By the same token, nobody needs to apologise for disliking the V2 and not using it, or for writing about their dislike of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Marigold Devin wrote:

We all have personal preferences. Some people prefer Coke, some people prefer Pepsi, but do they hex each other in the street or on forums because of it???!

Actually, yes, yes we do.  Or I should say, we did - in college, when we were apparently so bored and had so much free time that we decided to wage a protracted and bitter conflict between the two camps using the online forums of the day. Someday the bodies will be found, the stories will be told, and I will have to avoid going anywhere the International Criminal Court holds sway...

:smileywink:

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

If Pussycat had intended to respond to my remark that you said she responded to, she would have quoted it, but she didn't. She specifically and intentionally quoted another part of my post that mentioned some facts about the V1 viewer (requoted in your post, incidentally), and the blog she pointed to bore no relevance to that part. So, according to the posts, you are wrong. Marigold.

No marigold was spot on. Your drama about viewers had and has no place in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

No marigold was spot on. Your drama about viewers had and has no place in this thread.

I don't believe you. Marigold was wrong. I stated a couple of non-drama facts about the V1 viewer, which were relevant to the discussion. The facts were, (1) V1 viewers still rank by traffic in the Places tab, and (2) the V1s are the most widely used viiewers and therefore traffic still matters for search rankings. Perhaps you'd like to show me where the drama is? Or is merely mentioning different viewers drama to you?

You quoted that part of my post and pointed to a blog about the V2 viewer, in which the blogger rightly stated that she doesn't need to apologise for using the V2. Not only that, but you posted the identical post - word for word - copy and paste - in at least one other thread. Now, who did you say creates drama about viewers? According to your criteria, that blogger does, even though she doesn't. And *you* certainly do.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Marigold Devin wrote:

I would guess they are Tiny Empires players. I see this a lot around the ocean lands, little clusters of avatars, with groups such as Queendom of this and Kingdom of that, and a lot where bizarre outfits (although that green thong thing is exceptionally coffee-down-the-nose-worthy!)

And you'd be right,. Most of these have TE tags or groups in their profiles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out sailing with Pussycat Catnip a while back, when we first noticed the legion of undersea idlers. I was testing out my new submarine and we went looking for sunken wrecks and public art items, as well as other undersea mysteries (including the abandoned car that had apparently been down there 5 years).

 

It's very suspicious and pretty bizarre. We found lots of them, all over the place, all unresponsive. If this "tiny empires" thing is doing it, then someone really needs to take the matter up with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Marianne McCann wrote:


Marigold Devin wrote:

I would guess they are Tiny Empires players. I see this a lot around the ocean lands, little clusters of avatars,

And you'd be right,. Most of these have TE tags or groups in their profiles.

Yes as I've been watching them - I've been seeing TE tags on them. They seem to have cleared out of the ocean north of Bay City - but by contrast they're increasing in numbers in other parts of Sansera.

They've not yet lagged me off my boat, I think, but there's almost enough of them in some places now that if I were going faster - they might.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where you have plenty of ocean Sims all packed together owned by GOV linden you will find bots they are simply using the fastest and lag free ocean sims for faster data transfer the fastest bot wins whatever they are scanning or tping to buy or traffic the resources of these empty water sims must act as hyper data transfer point alot of landbots hover over ocean sims while scanning and teleporting back to the fastest data sim and they can sit their hassle and rent free just dont stand there talking to software programs lol.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked into Tiny Empires at one stage, but it just looked like a kind of pyramid selling scheme to me. I'd liked to be convinced otherwise, but I'm not prepared to log in as me or any of my alts and use my computer's resources just to hang about an ocean with "my leige" until my "status" raises (!!)

Takes all sorts to make a world, but this TE game seems really quite pointless. To me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...