How To Allow Everyone To Grieve A Loved One In SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A Sim I'm a part of, has just lost a very much loved, and vital person, in a sudden and unexpected death. The Grief and outpouring of shock and disbelief is like a rolling Tidal wave.

We are handling everything with lots of support and care for now - until we know what's happening with everything - it's still very much early days, as they passed less than a week ago.

But we are having visitors who want to lay flowers, light candles, etc - and we can't leave the land open.  Does anyone have any ideas if there is anything like random design flower bouquet or single stem flowers, that people can click and rezz - or something?  We have candles that people can click and take away - and we are supporting people with chats, time for reflections, and so forth... but it would be nice to do something more, as the overwhelming feeling among people is a feeling of shock, disbelief, and just wanting to do something to symbolise their love for the departed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The Linden memorial park which is owned by Linden no longer accepts memorials as far as I know, but there is a nice setting on the beach where you can light a candle in memory of the person, set it into the water and it will slowly drift off into the ocean.  There is also an area you can setup a memorial for the depareted located here: https://secondlife.com/destination/living-memories-memorial-garden

I'm not overly familiar with it, but perhaps they can help you.  

I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

This allows people to light a candle and leave a notecard of memories or thoughts. Look up "memorial" on marketplace for other ideas.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Prayer-Candles-White-v4-Copy/7286966

I don't know about flowers, on regions I am involved with rezzing is a part of the theme. We would generally encourage people to put out their memorial flowers but make clear that there is a time limit and after a set time the things laid out will be returned and the person marked with something simpler.

Edited by Aethelwine

13 hours ago, Jinnywitha Cleanslate said:

A Sim I'm a part of, has just lost a very much loved, and vital person, in a sudden and unexpected death. The Grief and outpouring of shock and disbelief is like a rolling Tidal wave.

We are handling everything with lots of support and care for now - until we know what's happening with everything - it's still very much early days, as they passed less than a week ago.

But we are having visitors who want to lay flowers, light candles, etc - and we can't leave the land open.  Does anyone have any ideas if there is anything like random design flower bouquet or single stem flowers, that people can click and rezz - or something?  We have candles that people can click and take away - and we are supporting people with chats, time for reflections, and so forth... but it would be nice to do something more, as the overwhelming feeling among people is a feeling of shock, disbelief, and just wanting to do something to symbolise their love for the departed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by EliseAnne85

In RL, funeral home / mortuary services offer candles for sale as part of the "funeral package" with the deceased's picture on it, and their born/deceased dates, etc.

I only mentioned this because I saw "candles".

Just an idea as something people could get for a remembrance item in SL.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

8 hours ago, Jinnywitha Cleanslate said:

Thank you.

Does anyone know if there is a flower rezzer - for people to click and it lays a flower out?  Or the same with Candles?

Oh, sorry my answer was before breakfast.  So, ignore it.  You want to rezz items rather than have people wear them.   I have no idea as I've never worked with rezzers.  Ask in Happy Hippo or Builder's Brewery if there is a way to do this.  Both are building schools.  I've gone to Linden Memorial and set the candle out to sea several times as Istelathis said.  

On 1/26/2023 at 10:17 PM, Jinnywitha Cleanslate said:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I maintain three Memorials: to the Victims of Mass Shootings; to the Victims of Communism; and to the Victims of Terrorism. All the sites get a lot of visits and people purchase for $0 signs that were used after the terrorist attacks in Belgium and France; you can put any texture on them. I adapted them for a COVID prayer and memorial garden as well. I have the single prim candles and I don't put on autoreturn, but periodically, I have to come and remove griefers' prims or just an overwhelming number of candles and flowers. So usually I will wait a "month's mind" of 30 days after some terrible event like the Asian mass shootings now in the US.

I think the best way to memorialize a lost SL resident is to put up a picture or stature. I just got a statue from Harshlands to commemorate Sue Stonebender who recently died; I have a portrait at the Ross infohub of Brinda Allen who used to help newbies at the infohub.

I also see memorials for Garth and Pituca Fairchang here and there. I realize that what happens is that sims go down -- as they did in the case of Brinda, who used to run island rentals. Well, then you have to find some public place somewhere where the manager could put up a sign. I plan to put up a sign for Paloma Casanova. So you can try to find a place to do this. Or maybe start a Legacy site or some sort of site. I know it's awfully hard. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Jinnywitha Cleanslate said:

Any ideas?

Aside from rezzing items since your land doesn't allow it, you could look to something else.   You could make a group that in it's title memorializes the person you have lost.  For instance, the group title could be..."I'll Always Remember You, My Friend" (although you could make the group title more personalized than my example).  Then, people click on join group procedures and they can have that group title over their avatar and wear for as long as they like in memory of their friend.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.