How to manage wardrobe?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just use my clothing folder for clothing - it has subfolders for accessories, footwear etc. so I know where to find stuff. Bodies are all obviously in the body folder - subfolders set up for each mesh body I have.

I think that HUDs to do the "work" take far more time and effort to setup than they are worth in the end.

I've updated my inventory technique a bit over the last several months. Instead of having avatar items at the top level till they are filed away, I now place them in one of two folders - [month] Clothing/Accessories and [month] Skin Hair Makeup.

I keep two months of folders and then at the turn of the month, I file away the items in the earliest's month's folders. It is also an additional opportunity to review and ditch any clothing sizes, notecards,  etc. that I don't need.

I find this really helps because typically I am looking for recently released clothing, hair, skin, makeup, etc. when putting together outfits. The items I am looking for are typically in the current or previous month's folders.  It is also better use of time because I am doing my filing in one or two sessions at the turn of the month instead of every few days.

I also do a folder for all the giveaway items at every Shop 'n Hop, just to keep them organized.

And, I think I am going to do the same for home furnishings now, just because this system has been so helpful for the avi inventory.

Edited by Trinity1776

22 hours ago, Tayt3rChip said:

I just got back to SL after like a 9 year break, so I consider myself a born again noob. In nearly 2 months my Inventory is at 9,000 Items. I've started sorting things into folders and managed to categorize all clothing and avatar body related items. What I'm really struggling to categorize is my objects folder. How do people organize all of their objects ? So far I have vehicles / weapons / animals folders/ zooby /Holdables ...  but since I started getting decor items I'm lost. How do people have their objects folder categorized ? Also I purchased a CTS wardrobe which seems like a brilliant idea in theory but will probably be a real labor of love to set up. Does anyone have a up and running CTS wardrobe ? 

Exactly the same for me about 3 years ago when I came back after a 5 years break. But thank god I got the CTS wardrobe and started filling and using it. I am still not done with sorting and putting it all in because I am nowadays a franatic shopper. But, I have over 1500 items in my CTS wardrobe and I love it so much. It is hard work and dedicaton, but for me it is definitely worth it. Another great thing about it is that the wardrobe has an amazing comunity with a group and a discord. Both are very alive and people are so patient and helpful. One of the best things was that there are many video tutorials on Youtube, so I did lots of watching before I started ( and I still watch them).

Edited by Sandy Melody
  • Thanks 2

I mentioned earlier that I find the Outfit Gallery that is built into the viewer helpful. The main shortcoming is that the pictures are limited to 256x256, which is too low a resolution to show good detail. One also must upload the textures, and cost could be an issue for non-Premium Plus accounts.

It occurred to me that, if the pictures were stored locally, there would be no issue with their being larger. It would also save any upload fees.

I made a Jira about this.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 8:28 AM, Tayt3rChip said:

I just got back to SL after like a 9 year break, so I consider myself a born again noob. In nearly 2 months my Inventory is at 9,000 Items. I've started sorting things into folders and managed to categorize all clothing and avatar body related items. What I'm really struggling to categorize is my objects folder. How do people organize all of their objects ? So far I have vehicles / weapons / animals folders/ zooby /Holdables ...  but since I started getting decor items I'm lost. How do people have their objects folder categorized ? Also I purchased a CTS wardrobe which seems like a brilliant idea in theory but will probably be a real labor of love to set up. Does anyone have a up and running CTS wardrobe ? 

I have as many, maybe more, "objects" stored outside of the Objects folder as there are inside. For example, a lot of my HUD objects are stored in my Animations folder. Many of my textures are stored in texture organizer objects, and they're in the Textures folder.

If I am responsible for a major build...let's say I have a rental operation, or I help run a school, I'll have a specific top level folder for those, outside of Objects. One of my larger folders is "For the Newcomer" which is full of notecards, landmarks, and freebies.

I have your Animals, Vehicles, and Weapons folders, and of course lots of subfolders under those. Other major categories include:

• Landscaping
    • Rocks
    • Trees
    • Plants
    • Seasonal
    • Aquatic
    • Waterfalls
  • Buildings and Parts
    • Houses
    • Skyboxes
    • Roads and paths
    • Pools and Fountains
    • Doors
    • Surrounds
    • (Other categories, peculiar to my particular situation)
  • Furniture
    • Living Room
    • Bedroom
    • Kitchen
    • Bath
    • Outdoor
    • Artwork
    • Misc
  • Sports
    • Scuba
    • Skydiving
    • Winter sports
  • Games (Chess, Go, Greedy, and similar board games)
  • Tools
    • Sculpt map generators
    • Builders grid
    • Other stuff I can't recall at the moment
  • Musical Instruments
  • (Insert your favorite activity that has a lot of props here)
  • Rental Systems (Here I have things like CasperLet, prim counters, tenant radios and TVs, security orbs, etc.)
  • Seasonal
    • 4th of July
    • Christmas
    • Halloween
    • Easter
    • etc.
  • Misc
    • Food and drink
    • Things that don't fit anywhere else. If some of them start to be big clumps of similar things, they'll eventually get their own category. Maybe.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:28 AM, Tayt3rChip said:

Lots and lots of examples you can look at to see what people have done with Wardrobe. Always happy to answer questions people have on using it, share examples of how people set theirs up, and generally chat all things shopping & inventory. Just give me a shout in world.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, Sandy Melody said:

Exactly the same for me about 3 years ago when I came back after a 5 years break. But thank god I got the CTS wardrobe and started filling and using it. I am still not done with sorting and putting it all in because I am nowadays a franatic shopper. But, I have over 1500 items in my CTS wardrobe and I love it so much. It is hard work and dedicaton, but for me it is definitely worth it. Another great thing about it is that the wardrobe has an amazing comunity with a group and a discord. Both are very alive and people are so patient and helpful. One of the best things was that there are many video tutorials on Youtube, so I did lots of watching before I started ( and I still watch them).

Thank you so much Sandy just joined the cts wardrobe group on discord and hoping to see some tips regarding that wardrobe on there. That was really helpful. But you've done amazingly well, organizing. I currently have 5 items in the cts haah

11 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I have as many, maybe more, "objects" stored outside of the Objects folder as there are inside. For example, a lot of my HUD objects are stored in my Animations folder. Many of my textures are stored in texture organizer objects, and they're in the Textures folder.

If I am responsible for a major build...let's say I have a rental operation, or I help run a school, I'll have a specific top level folder for those, outside of Objects. One of my larger folders is "For the Newcomer" which is full of notecards, landmarks, and freebies.

I have your Animals, Vehicles, and Weapons folders, and of course lots of subfolders under those. Other major categories include:

• Landscaping
    • Rocks
    • Trees
    • Plants
    • Seasonal
    • Aquatic
    • Waterfalls
  • Buildings and Parts
    • Houses
    • Skyboxes
    • Roads and paths
    • Pools and Fountains
    • Doors
    • Surrounds
    • (Other categories, peculiar to my particular situation)
  • Furniture
    • Living Room
    • Bedroom
    • Kitchen
    • Bath
    • Outdoor
    • Artwork
    • Misc
  • Sports
    • Scuba
    • Skydiving
    • Winter sports
  • Games (Chess, Go, Greedy, and similar board games)
  • Tools
    • Sculpt map generators
    • Builders grid
    • Other stuff I can't recall at the moment
  • Musical Instruments
  • (Insert your favorite activity that has a lot of props here)
  • Rental Systems (Here I have things like CasperLet, prim counters, tenant radios and TVs, security orbs, etc.)
  • Seasonal
    • 4th of July
    • Christmas
    • Halloween
    • Easter
    • etc.
  • Misc
    • Food and drink
    • Things that don't fit anywhere else. If some of them start to be big clumps of similar things, they'll eventually get their own category. Maybe.

I've only come across schools recently and took 1 class. I'm hoping to take more classes in the future, and hope they help me figure a lot of things out.  I see that you have objects sorted into rooms. I was just curious because if I get kichen clutter was wondering where that would go. Like I got a coffee machine at shop and hop so I guess I would have kitchen then a sub section for kitchen appliances maybe. Tnx so much for the view of how you do it.

10 hours ago, Buttacwup Float said:

Lots and lots of examples you can look at to see what people have done with Wardrobe. Always happy to answer questions people have on using it, share examples of how people set theirs up, and generally chat all things shopping & inventory. Just give me a shout in world.

I will drop you a message in world about this. It's always interesting to see how other people do it.  Tnx

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.