How to manage wardrobe?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Shopping Inworld is so much fun, also marketplace. But I've bought so much stuff it's becoming difficult to manage. Is there like a wardrobe closet app that's visual? I've noticed that some purchases vanish and I have to go redeliver. Not sure why? I downloaded my purchases history and it's not exactly easy to match them up with the purchased items in inventory. There's a way to create an outfit and save it, but it's like everything worn, hair, head, etc. It's getting confounded as well. It would be cool to have a walk-in wardrobe that's visual and you could pick out tops, bottoms, shoes, hair, etc, in a visual way. Does that already exist or do I need to create it? I think it would be an improvement especially in revenue. :)

Ā  Ā People sort their inventories in a variety of ways, with or without tools such as CTS. There isn't really any avatar editor (that I know of anyway) that acts like many other video games' character designers where you can flip through stuff (such as the Create a Sim tool in the Sims). CTS is the closest thing I know to it, but for the most part I just sort my wardrobe and pick together an outfit from the categories I've sorted stuff into.

Ā  Ā The main issue I've experienced so far is that I tend to fall behind on sorting stuff, so I have a placeholder folder where I put everything I unpack until I get around to sorting it. There's also some inconsistencies in whether or not you get a picture of the product, and whilst I've theorised up a plan to deal with that by making a local visual library of the contents of my wardrobe .. I've been too lazy to put it into practice. I did one folder for my hairs from one creator at one point, but then I never really wore those hairs anyway (and recently ditched most of them), so, meh.

Ā  Ā The problem with CTS is that if you fall behind on updating what's in it, it may take a bit (or a lot) of work to go through your inventory and find what is and isn't in there, and if you rely on CTS to get dressed and forget a handful of things you may end up never getting to wear them as you'll forget you ever had them. Still, it was fun to pick out my ex's outfit (or lack thereof!) in it when she gave me access to control hers.Ā 

Well I love to shop and the inventory shows in alpha order. If it showed in added order that might help. But really I want to see what I bought. I mean do people actually wear the same clothes every day?

There's a "recent" but it shows like 2 items. If I bought 20 things in the past two days they don't show anywhere.Ā  "Received" doesn't appear to show Inworld items. It would be great if i could just walk into a closet and see everything i've purchased, including Inworld or marketplace.

Edited by Khadijah Starchild
duh

25 minutes ago, Khadijah Starchild said:

Well I love to shop and the inventory shows in alpha order. If it showed in added order that might help. But really I want to see what I bought. I mean do people actually wear the same clothes every day?

There's a "recent" but it shows like 2 items. If I bought 20 things in the past two days they don't show anywhere.Ā  "Received" doesn't appear to show Inworld items. It would be great if i could just walk into a closet and see everything i've purchased, including Inworld or marketplace.

Click the gear icon in your inventory window and you can reorder how it is listed as well from how far back with the Show Filters.

The CTS Inventory system allow you to have photo's of all your items and wear it from there once you set it up.

E_PageExample_400x400.jpg

• Like 1

+1 to the CTS Wardrobe gang. Excellent system, very easy to use, makes putting outfits together a breeze, and it's highly customizable. Some people use it just for completed outfits that they want to wear all at once, some use it for wearing individual items, some people use them for cataloging their build and furniture items. I'll also note that in LL's 2023 roadmap they mentioned inventory improvements, and I've been told they're working with the creator of the Catznip viewer to implement those, so we may see something coming later this year. In the meantime, if you want to put items you've bought into special folders to keep them organized or find things you bought during a particular period, you may want to try the current Catznip build. There's some cool tweaks for inventory sorting already present which may help you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Khadijah Starchild said:

Well I love to shop and the inventory shows in alpha order. If it showed in added order that might help.

ffc3bfdc7e38a3ebea858172298cd413.png

Ā  Ā In the inventory options, you can tweak the way order of display - I personally run with most recent first, but also with folders to always by name because it looks tidier (as well as system folders on top, that way I always know that what I'm looking for will be below the trash bin and that everything above is essentially protected).

But really I want to see what I bought. I mean do people actually wear the same clothes every day?

Ā  Ā Some people rarely if ever change their clothes, but I think 'most' people change regularly - whether that's regularly as in 'once a week' or 'every thirty minutes', well, there's people on both ends and anywhere in between!

It would be great if i could just walk into a closet and see everything i've purchased, including Inworld or marketplace.

Ā  Ā No such feature I'm afraid. You can look at your MP history, but it doesn't include pictures. Another option is to poke any redelivery terminal for Caspervend, where you'll be able to see stuff you've bought with pictures, buuut .. I can't seem to find a terminal right now, and from the times I've looked at it it seems the order of the items isn't by newest first (possibly by oldest first - not sure whether you can change it around).

Ā  Ā I think CTS might be the way to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khadijah Starchild said:

make a folder tree .. and move items around, be sure if you use it in "outfits" to repair the links :)Ā 

Just alphabetical still makes a inventory a huge pile of items. Create also subfolders :)Ā 

AND .. many will shiver by the thought ... clean up directly, don't wait, .. THROW away what you don't use.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

CTS Wardrobe.

Watch the tutorials.

Ā 

Amazingly enough this is something Coffee and I can agree on.

CTS Wardrobe is 100% best tool currently to manage your inventory. Just be forewarned that it WILL DEVOUR YOUR LIFE. I absolutely love it, am happy with how much time I've put into it, but depending on your use it can easily take over a considerable amount of your time.

• Like 2

I thankfully managed to create a whole range of folders within my Outfits directory before that feature got nixed recently by general type (Formal, Casual, Dresses, Swim, Accessories, Exercise, Lingerie etc) with subfolders in some of them, for example, in Accessories I have Jewellery (and within that Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets etc). I then create specific outfit folders that might contain links to a dress, shoes, and any specific accessories that go with that outfit.

I have a base avatar "outfit" that's me naked (and a cat one etc) so simply Wear the base me, then "Add" or Remove" outfits to change clothes. New outfit? gets dropped into one of the existing top level category folders.

The downside to this system is now that both LL viewer and FS etc have turned off the ability to add more folders at the top level of the Outfits folder (like, why!!??) so that means I'm stuck with what I initially created and can't add more at that level. I'm really hoping that whatever improvements @Arwyn Quandry mentioned might be on LL's roadmap, this simple ability to better organize by adding directories inside the Outfits folder gets re-implemented and improved, and that maybe this time this directory organization someone creates inside Outfits is mirrored in the floating Outfits pane (finally), instead of being just a long alphabetical list of hundreds of outfits.

I should maybe also check out the CTS system.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I thankfully managed to create a whole range of folders within my Outfits directory before that feature got nixed recently by general type (Formal, Casual, Dresses, Swim, Accessories, Exercise, Lingerie etc) with subfolders in some of them, for example, in Accessories I have Jewellery (and within that Earrings, Necklaces, Bracelets etc). I then create specific outfit folders that might contain links to a dress, shoes, and any specific accessories that go with that outfit.

I have a base avatar "outfit" that's me naked (and a cat one etc) so simply Wear the base me, then "Add" or Remove" outfits to change clothes. new outfit? gets dropped into one of the existing top level category folders.

The downside to this system is now that both LL viewer and FS etc have turned off the ability to add more folders at the top level of the Outfits folder (like, why!!??) Is that I'm stuck with what I initially created and can't add more at that level. I'm really hoping that whatever improvements @Arwyn Quandry mentioned might be on LL's roadmap, this simple ability to better organize by adding directories inside the Outfits folder gets re-implemented and improved.

I should maybe also check out the CTS system.

That sounds like it could have been handy. How long ago was the ability removed? Could it still be accessed with an older FS release?

I have a good system that works for me well, now that I have it where I want it.. It would take me way too long to set up one of those wardrobes.. After getting my inventory where I've wanted it so long, thinking about adding something else into the mix just sounds like more work.. hehehehe

I use all the default folders

My Mesh bodies and mesh heads and Skins and eyes and addons and so on go in the Body parts sectuion each body having their own directory for their things..

For clothes and accessories I use the Clothing folder..

I make a directory for each Mesh body, then I take each body version of their outfit and it goes into that bodies directory.. if it's Swimwear it will go into swimwear and then the creator brand folder..

So it would go like this, clothing folder, Apparel folder, Reborn folder, Swimwear folder, Lunar folder..

So if I'm in reborn I just go to the Reborn directory rather than just going to swimwear and lookingĀ  through oneĀ  big bikini folder of different body type..

I can put outfits together really quick now..

This is what it looks like.

I'm still sorting through Addams and Blueberry things, that's why they are sitting at the bottom of the Reborn directory, so that's why those are there... hehehe

1619995517_Inventorysort.thumb.png.14e8f5ffecbfce2f953fe1a871c6adad.png

ETA: The silliest thing just happened to me..Ā  I went to close my inventory in my viewer and didn't realize IĀ  still had the image open on my desktop..

I was clicking and clicking and finally realized, this isn't the viewer.. lol

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I do a more simplified version of what Ceka has, where I use my Clothing folder with subfolders like Tops, Bottoms, Dresses, Sets, etc. The main thing is to make sure I put something in one of those as soon as I unpack it. I don't switch bodies so I don't copy body-specific versions around to different places, but Ceka's approach sounds like a good one if you do that.

Subfolder categories aren't always perfect and "Sets" in particular tends to become a catch-all. Sometimes you get sets that are, as you would expect, tops and bottoms that can be worn separately but also go well together, but then sometimes you get "sets" that are tops with matching socks or some similar combo, so something being in "Sets" isn't always helpful. I've started linking things when multiple categories seem appropriate, just so I can find them again.

In addition to clothing type folders, I have a separate subfolder for Costumes/Roleplay stuff since there's a bit less of that and I'll not likely be mixing and matching it with the rest of my stuff. I guess a skater skirt and a breast plate could be quite a fashion statement but it's not one I'll be making. I also have a separate subfolder for Applier/BoM clothing, and since I don't have a lot of it I don't bother categorizing beyond that.

If something has a texture HUD then what I will do each time I make an outfit with that item is save a copy with that texture in a subfolder and use that one for the outfit so I can just change clothes without fiddling with the HUD again. Not great for reducing inventory bloat but a real time saver.

One thing that's really helpful, and I am grateful to the creators that do this, is having an image of the item in the folder even if it's just the ad. This lets me see what the item is without having to put it on, because I can't remember all this stuff and I really don't want to spend time taking pictures of each thing.

In terms of Outfit organization, I have a starting outfit saved with my body and other essential attachments (actually I have 2 separate ones which I guess you could call PG and Adult), then build outfits from there and save them separately. Changing outfits is only done by replacing one entirely with the other since items in common remain unaffected.

I have separate, top level folders for Cosmetics and Hair, both of which are unmitigated chaos at the moment.

Edited by Ezbeharra
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have a good system that works for me well, now that I have it where I want it.. It would take me way too long to set up one of those wardrobes.. After getting my inventory where I've wanted it so long, thinking about adding something else into the mix just sounds like more work.. hehehehe

My Mesh bodies and mesh heads and Skins and eyes and addons and so on go in the Body parts sectuion each body having their own directory for their things..

I make a directory for each Mesh body, then I take each body version of their outfit and it goes into that bodies directory.. if it's Swimwear it will go into swimwear and then the creator brand folder..

So it would go like this, clothing folder, Apparel folder, Reborn folder, Swimwear folder, Lunar folder..

So if I'm in reborn I just go to the Reborn directory rather than just going to swimwear and lookingĀ  through oneĀ  big bikini folder of different body type..

I'm still sorting through Addams and Blueberry things, that's why they are sitting at the bottom of the Reborn directory, so that's why those are there... hehehe

ETA: The silliest thing just happened to me..Ā  I went to close my inventory in my viewer and didn't realize IĀ  still had the image open on my desktop..

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks, you are so organized! Do people go on shopping parties together? Maybe there's a shopping group?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ezbeharra said:

I do a more simplified version of what Ceka has, where I use my Clothing folder with subfolders like Tops, Bottoms, Dresses, Sets, etc. The main thing is to make sure I put something in one of those as soon as I unpack it. I don't switch bodies so I don't copy body-specific versions around to different places, but Ceka's approach sounds like a good one if you do that.

Subfolder categories aren't always perfect and "Sets" in particular tends to become a catch-all. Sometimes you get sets that are, as you would expect, tops and bottoms that can be worn separately but also go well together, but then sometimes you get "sets" that are tops with matching socks or some similar combo, so something being in "Sets" isn't always helpful. I've started linking things when multiple categories seem appropriate, just so I can find them again.

In addition to clothing type folders, I have a separate subfolder for Costumes/Roleplay stuff since there's a bit less of that and I'll not likely be mixing and matching it with the rest of my stuff. I guess a skater skirt and a breast plate could be quite a fashion statement but it's not one I'll be making. I also have a separate subfolder for Applier/BoM clothing, and since I don't have a lot of it I don't bother categorizing beyond that.

If something has a texture HUD then what I will do each time I make an outfit with that item is save a copy with that texture in a subfolder and use that one for the outfit so I can just change clothes without fiddling with the HUD again. Not great for reducing inventory bloat but a real time saver.

One thing that's really helpful, and I am grateful to the creators that do this, is having an image of the item in the folder even if it's just the ad. This lets me see what the item is without having to put it on, because I can't remember all this stuff and I really don't want to spend time taking pictures of each thing.

In terms of Outfit organization, I have a starting outfit saved with my body and other essential attachments (actually I have 2 separate ones which I guess you could call PG and Adult), then build outfits from there and save them separately. Changing outfits is only done by replacing one entirely with the other since items in common remain unaffected.

I have separate, top level folders for Cosmetics and Hair, both of which are unmitigated chaos at the moment.

So much great information in this thread, thanks!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Click the gear icon in your inventory window and you can reorder how it is listed as well from how far back with the Show Filters.

The CTS Inventory system allow you to have photo's of all your items and wear it from there once you set it up.

E_PageExample_400x400.jpg

I just bought this, can't wait to try it out! Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I do 3 things....

1. Have an inventory folder for each item type (e.g. pants).

2. Take a photo of each item and store in a parallel folder structure on my hard drive. This is free to do.

3. Use a thumbnail program (Thumbs Plus) to look at my stuff. I need not be inworld to do this,

I also store each complete outfit using the Firestorm outfits tool. This method is also used to keep track of other objects, like pumpkins and christmas trees (I have alot). My photo studio is in skybox and is always ready to go.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Your welcome. I would suggest joining the inworld group. It's quite busy with easy access to people who have a lot of experience with it.

Speaking as an former moderator to the group (pain in my hands made long help sessions difficult), I completely second this.Ā  The group is an amazing group that usually has people on willing to help out.Ā  If for some reason, you don't get an answer right away, wait maybe an hour, maybe 1/2 an hour and ask again.Ā Ā 

Edited to add:Ā  Many of us, including myself, have links to a shared copy of their wardrobe so others can get ideas on how people use it.Ā  Look me up and perv my profile picks.Ā  It's also on the Wardrobe discord site.

Edited by Sandy Schnook
additional
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That's scary organized.Ā  I've actually given up.completely and am way less stressed

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.