"The Messy Look" Messy Beds, Messy Piles of Misc. Yay or Nay

EliseAnne85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Some clutter, a basket with towels spilling out. Messy bed. Pillows in the sofa not straight, a towel on the floor, magazines or books laying around. That's it.

I can make grunge, trash and dirty rooms, but rarely. 

Rainforest Hideaway

I like seeing pics of this sort of thing but I wouldn't like it in my own house. Its a lot of LI, and also a lot of time setting it all up. So my homes in SL tend to be neat and tidy, even when they're not necessarily modern. 

52071976087_b0f85b8665_b.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Some clutter, a basket with towels spilling out. Messy bed. Pillows in the sofa not straight, a towel on the floor, magazines or books laying around. That's it.

I can make grunge, trash and dirty rooms, but rarely. 

Rainforest Hideaway

I think the quality of the textures on the floors and walls make this just lovely.

2 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I like seeing pics of this sort of thing but I wouldn't like it in my own house. Its a lot of LI, and also a lot of time setting it all up. So my homes in SL tend to be neat and tidy, even when they're not necessarily modern. 

It's not as easy as it sounds to make a messy look even if one has enough prims because all compositions need line, form, balance, theme.  

Someone else in this thread said shabby chic is messy.  That's not how shabby chic started at all nor was it messy nor is it messy in real life when I started with shabby chic.  The shabby never meant messy, it meant the aging of old wood, weathered wood, and then taking something chic like an antique needlelace tablecloth and placing it over the table and combining the shabby wood with chic elements, and shabby chic most definitely doesn't have to be messy.  

I think what some of the SL designers are doing with some of the messy look is aiming for comfort and lived in.  I've seen messy modern style beds.

Edited by EliseAnne85

10 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I am of two minds on this issue.

On the one hand, I love a neat, tidy room.

On the other hand, we DO want SL to be realistic, right?

expectation-reality_kitchen.jpg

Are you thinking the bottom photo is with children?  Once my ex husband and I were an empty nest we both were on the neat side but not freaks about it, and he could clean fairly well and kept tidy for the most part.  With children, that was a different story in real life.  But, in SL, most of us don't have kids.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

On 1/30/2023 at 7:15 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

I am of two minds on this issue.

On the one hand, I love a neat, tidy room.

On the other hand, we DO want SL to be realistic, right?

expectation-reality_kitchen.jpg

It was many gachas with clutter when gachas was legal.

Kitchen counter clutter is very popular. But it is more "artistic". Nice, expensive jars and not plastic bowls, but ceramic or silver (Steel?). One of the most artistic clutter stores is Nutmeg. They often sell ready to use clutter, they have filled furniture that spill over.

279366762_5618685924811661_7953013517160

It is more realistic stuff from stores like Second Spaces.

geeky_office_accessories_powerstrips_ven

I wish they would sell their old gachas now. What they have for sale, is nothing compared with their gachas.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos

19 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

One of the most artistic clutter stores is Nutmeg. They often sell ready to use clutter, they have filled furniture that spill over.

I love Nutmeg but I tend to buy their one item stuff far more.  I especially love Nutmeg's tables and chairs and one can get some separates or stand alone items from Nutmeg on MP.   I have shopped inworld also for Nutmeg but it is a lot to rez there and takes a lot of one's time so I don't know the inworld store too well.  I also have a wardrobe from Nutmeg with a wreath but no real clutter on it.  I never really did "messy" with Nutmeg, even though it's very possible.  I've always been tidy.  I don't know why.  I thought perhaps I like tidy because then I don't have to think of housework when I'm on SL.  I don't want to think of housework here.  But, I'm not really sure what it is.  Why some like tidy, why some like messy.  I don't know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 424 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.