"The Messy Look" Messy Beds, Messy Piles of Misc. Yay or Nay

EliseAnne85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The messy look, yay or nay?  The messy look in SL may include messy beds, messy piles of misc.  

Do you like the messy look?  If you like this look for decor, what do you like about it?  If you don't like it but like a more tidy looking SL home, why does a tidy home appeal to you?

Me - I like a tidy home and bed, both in rl and sl.  In SL, I have not made slex beds but I have sold thousands of non-slex beds to single humans, pets, dolls, fairies, etc, that were just sleep beds, and all the beds and rooms I've made were on the tidy end and it sold well.  That was years ago when sculpties were the thing, but now it seems the messy look with mesh is more in vogue.

How do you like your SL home to look - messy or tidy?  Share G-rated pics if you like.

I'm especially looking to find out what you might like about the messy look, as I like and do the opposite and go for tidy.  So, I don't have insight as to what others like about "the messy look".  I think my main reason for liking tidy homes (sl/rl) is that the housework is done and I don't have to think about it anymore.  So, being tidy clears my mind.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2

I like what I call the lived-in look. It's somewhere between tidy and messy. For instance, the sponges and dish soap in the kitchen of a tidy home would be hidden in the cabinet below the sink, with a messy home having dishes piled in the sink, whereas a lived-in home would have an empty sink or possibly a few dishes in the sink but the sponges and soaps would be setting on the counter next to the sink. I'm all about making my homes feel as though someone actually lives in the space. It used to be impossible to achieve that look because we simply did not have the prim allowance to spend on such things, but now with mesh having such low LI values we can afford to have what appears to be real  lived-in homes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm not a neat-freak, and I don't like things looking totally sterile like an IKEA display cubicle, but I don't like it too messy either. Some clutter can do a lot to make a place look homey, a spilled out wine glass on the rug, dirty dishes piling up in the sink, and knickers strewn across the floor, not so much.

• Like 4

In SL, I love the clean yet cluttered look.  I rarely have the prims any more to do it the way I'd like, though.  Cluttered in RL would drive me crazy.  I don't have to clean in SL so anything goes!

This woman does some of my favorite cluttered looks...Love love love this.

Winter Delight

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

In SL, I love the clean yet cluttered look.  I rarely have the prims any more to do it the way I'd like, though.  Cluttered in RL would drive me crazy.  I don't have to clean in SL so anything goes!

This woman does some of my favorite cluttered looks...Love love love this.

Winter Delight

Yes, very well done.  Exceptional, even.  I think maybe just a little too much on the floor for me as I feel I could trip and fall.  lol  But, otherwise, just gorgeous.   

I typically go for a mix of both. My friends will tell you I absolutely rage over their messy couches and beds when things dip too far into the "meh whatever, just throw that over there" category, but I do tend to opt for more "lived in" looks when decorating kitchens and living spaces. Bedrooms, bathrooms, and outdoor - generally tidy. Maybe the occasional pair of slippers or shoes tossed onto the floor, but nothing crazy.

That said, I do edit a good deal of my furniture. For couches and chairs, I usually remove included pillows and add my own touches - new pillows, teddy bears and stuffed animals, pets, etc. Shelves are absolutely cluttered with everything from books to knick-knacks to candles to plants to craft and art supplies. Cabinets are full of dishes, bakeware, and glassware. Tables are usually neatly set. Counters are never empty.

And of course, you're definitely going to find food and drinks absolutely everywhere. Snack corners, food carts, mini bars, cheese and wine tables, coffee nooks, pies in the oven, pies cooling on window sills, cocoa and tea and snacks on coffee tables. Full meals on stoves.

It costs more in prims, but I specifically seek out low LI furniture and food (1-5 prims on average) to help with that. If I'm hired to decorate with no prim limit, though, which happens on occasion, it's not unusual for me to blow a good 500 prims per room.

I'll snag a photo of my current place once I get around to actually decorating it properly. I put it up right before the holidays and all that dang shopping made me too exhausted to work on it, so it's all half done and crazy at the moment. My fridge is bare and my shelves and counters are empty. The nerve of me!

• Like 1

I like the lived-in look, too. I have quite a bit of "clutter" in my Linden House, with a coffee maker, cup tree, cannisters, etc on the kitchen counters, slippers in front of the fireplace, a hall console table with magazine and mail and shoes underneath. In my bathroom there's a full laundry hamper, a sideboard with soaps, oils and bath bombs, and a sink with makeup and towels. My bedroom has a sweater draped over a chair, shoes in the corner, and a jewellery box and perfume bottles on the dresser. I do love how we can have messy, tidy and anything in between.

• Like 4

I’m a complete mess! If you’re ever flying and see a skybox and the roof is on fire and covered with Pacman machines, a motorbike,  unfinished prim builds and flashing colour-change flamingos…it’s probably me 9_9 I think I'd want to put on a hazmat suit before I went into Rat's kitchen :o 

I couldn't live like that in RL but I love SL mess and grunge! It was also a nice excuse to rez items I'd picked up over time...like someone once gave me a Union Jack beanbag they'd made, so I could rez those when people came around. Some of Torley Linden's textures were great for that grungy squat look :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've got a "French Maid" outfit and scrubbing bucket, if anyone needs a hand cleaning up. (Have posted that pic on the Forums previously.)

So do I.  Actually it was an old Halloween Costume for a Classic avatar.  OoooLaLa.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't like a lot of objects strewn around, usually I just like a few basic items that do not take up a lot of space.  I tend to go with inexpensive furniture that has low impact on my property, it doesn't have to look realistic and I don't mind creating things from prims.  

My Bellisseria home is not going to win any prizes, but for me it is fine.  The video games I typically play are lower quality furnishings than this, although I do have a problem with my style and matching furniture so it flows into a theme more appropriately.

Snapshot_468.thumb.png.79b42ea6f85324b24a68e722a6e09378.png

Snapshot_470.png.7ac47f1a781d6294db8227a8a15fd308.png

Snapshot_469.png.ebaee0efb53c5942273ab5e797a125cb.png

Snapshot_471.png.0c7f2a50fbb127f27649c5618b9c1223.png

Just basic, low Li furnishings, no real clutter, plenty of space to walk around my furniture, and it only takes away 90 li to furnish every room of the house including a Kittycat pet.  It leaves me with plenty of space for my skybox multi-rezzer with a variety of themes.  I wouldn't consider this to be organized and neat, and can go for a messy look, but it too would not be a lot of stuff packed into a small area, with likewise a style that doesn't really flow right, using inexpensive furniture that is a bit dated by today's standards.  It mostly comes down to functionality when it comes to SL and my own builds, being able to maneuver around the house, the FPS I get, the Li of the furniture, and how much I have to spend.  It also comes down to having furniture that can be copied and modified, I don't like purchasing furnishings that are no modify.

Some people will consider this messy, others neat,  it definitely is an eyesore for many in 2023 when there are plenty of higher quality mesh items to play around with.  I'm not really sure what it is 🤣 

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Just basic, low Li furnishings, no real clutter, plenty of space to walk around my furniture, and it only takes away 90 li to furnish every room of the house including a Kittycat pet. 

I sold so many pet beds, it's a good market.  Most of my sculptie pet beds were 1 LI total, then add pet or dolls, etc.  I think they are still cute today (like the white cat bed you have in photo No.2).  I love the heart shaped pillows on the cat tree!  Your home is basically similar to low impact homes prior to mesh.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 3

Defo not a neat freak where Prims allow. I don't live in a show home, I like my home to look lived in. The bedroom of my Linden home has boxes of clutter and a pile clothes on the floor and the bed doesn't look made. The bathroom has dirty clothes strewn across the floor. The main room piles of records scattered on the floor, pizza boxes and beer bottles on the coffee table all for that someone lives here feel

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In real life, a messy room takes no effort. In Second Life, a messy room has to be planned out. Everything needs to be bought and meticulously placed. And you have to watch your land impact. A messy person in real life will have a clean house in SL because it’s too hard to make it messy. A neat person in real life will choose to not make a messy house in SL. 

Therefore, all messy houses in SL are a lie.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Therefore, all messy houses in SL are a lie.

Never thought of it that way.  But, most of SL is a portrayal basically made out of paper and math or something like that.  

I do like the idea of "lived in".  I think I need a bit of "lived in" added to my tidy but I don't want to go super messy because I can't get it right.  It doesn't look right, it just looks messy and maybe mish-mosh is a better description.  So, I do it badly.

Lived-in is a balance, but it's not too hard to get right (without risking making things messy). Start with clutter, as that's fairly easy to find - usually found in decor stores, in weekend sales, in group gifts, or on the marketplace if you want something very specific.

Collect pillows, mugs, newspapers, magazines, and books. Candles, small plants, flowers, notebooks, cell phones, clocks, artwork, rugs. Think of things you use on a daily basis and place them around on tables and countertops.

If you want a fun little tip - start with Bazar. Both the main store and their Outlet across from it. Look at their complete living room, dining, bathroom, and bedroom set ups. See all that cool decor mixed in? It's all for sale - usually for dirt cheap (5L-80L-ish). Yoink everything even remotely interesting and use it to jazz up empty shelves, TV consoles, coffee tables, side tables, and bookshelves. 

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.